Comcept Kickstarters Red Ash, a spiritual successor to MML

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Comcept Kickstarters Red Ash, a spiritual successor to M

Postby SurrealBrain » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:46 am

All I know is, ever since the whole Dina incident (still ongoing), I've been much more leery of Kickstarter to the point to where I didn't even back Yooka-Laylee which doesn't even have the same general studio.

Of course, I'm pretty well convinced that, thanks to my track record, me being absolutely sure of something brings bad luck, so...
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby Spin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:57 pm

Whoa. Big news. Comcept found a publisher for Red Ash: The KalKanon Incident in the form of Fuze Entertainment. So the Kickstarter is now being used to fund extra content in the game which will be tricky if the campaign can't reach 800k. Important thing however is that despite all the haters, IT'S HAPPENING.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Damo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:33 pm

Spin wrote:Whoa. Big news. Comcept found a publisher for Red Ash: The KalKanon Incident in the form of Fuze Entertainment. So the Kickstarter is now being used to fund extra content in the game which will be tricky if the campaign can't reach 800k. Important thing however is that despite all the haters, IT'S HAPPENING.

The campaign is now to determine if it will be a short PC game or a large multi-platform game, yes.

Mind you, getting this made just a publisher and no kickstarted fan support means many more hurdles. I sincerely hope fans of Legends' devs heed this last call to prove they exist.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:40 pm

lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby SurrealBrain » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:16 pm

Good for them.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby Gonzo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:17 pm

I was getting really worried about Red Ash; it's good to know that it's happening in one form or another.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Damo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:51 pm

Gonzo wrote:I was getting really worried about Red Ash; it's good to know that it's happening in one form or another.

It came as quite a surprise to everyone. FUZE is a Chinese company. Until this week consoles were banned in China. FUZE wants to make a console, and made contact because they're hungry to get some content on the console they want to have. It was a "Zuh?!?" moment for comcept too. FUZE came out of nowhere.

That said, they're a Chinese company who are going into uncharted territory here, and the funding that they've indicated they're willing to give definitely doesn't cover everything that the dev team had hoped might make it in there. It's a load off the dev team's collective shoulders to have an investor, but it would be another huge load off those shoulders if the kickstarter succeeded.

Plus there's plenty of us holding out that a Wii-U port might be possible (although it's unlikely if they end up going with Unreal Engine 4).
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:52 am

Damo wrote:
Spin wrote:Whoa. Big news. Comcept found a publisher for Red Ash: The KalKanon Incident in the form of Fuze Entertainment. So the Kickstarter is now being used to fund extra content in the game which will be tricky if the campaign can't reach 800k. Important thing however is that despite all the haters, IT'S HAPPENING.

The campaign is now to determine if it will be a short PC game or a large multi-platform game, yes.

Mind you, getting this made just a publisher and no kickstarted fan support means many more hurdles. I sincerely hope fans of Legends' devs heed this last call to prove they exist.

Sorry, just not giving Comcept any more of my money unless reviews are good on the finished product.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Bean » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:03 pm

And that is totally a correct reason to not give them money. Let's see how MN9 is first, even though the people making that game aren't the same ones making this.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby lalalei2001 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:31 pm

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... -away.aspx

Backers are withdrawing their funding now. Maybe they thought since it got a publisher, they didn't need to donate the money anymore.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Spin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:59 pm

The extras for the 800k Stretch Goal have been announced.

EX Mode- Challenge Dungeon: An extra dungeon that is longer and has new enemies.

Playable Tyger: Self explanatory.

Call & Gofer Village Reconstruction: A mode for after you beat the game, where you can rebuild the city.

So yeah, despite the Kickstarter saying only the prologue was funded. It seems the full game was.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Damo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:25 pm

Spin wrote:The extras for the 800k Stretch Goal have been announced.

EX Mode- Challenge Dungeon: An extra dungeon that is longer and has new enemies.

Playable Tyger: Self explanatory.

Call & Gofer Village Reconstruction: A mode for after you beat the game, where you can rebuild the city.

So yeah, despite the Kickstarter saying only the prologue was funded. It seems the full game was.

No. The decision to keep saying "prologue" is something I've had some disagreements with comcept over.

The kickstarter is about Red Ash: The KalKanon Incident, which is an 8 hour+ game. There is another story, Red Ash: New World Order which is estimated to be about 12+ hours gameplay. The idea was to get the 8 hour+ game made through kickstarter, then use that success to help them in finding a publisher to make the larger 12+ hour New World Order, bundling them together at some stage as a 20+ hour "Red Ash: The Full Game". Getting the funding to a 20+ hour game from a publisher, on an unproven IP, when the devs want to retain ownership of the IP? That would normally be incredibly difficult.

The basic elements of Red Ash: The KalKanon Incident are funded by FUZE now (although there's still ideas they had which didn't get funded, and which they've made into the kickstarter's new goals). New World Order is not funded at all. Or to put it in a way I don't like to put it "the prologue game is funded, the full game is not". That's using the terminology that comcept decided to go with, but I'd still say it's incredibly inaccurate and misleading.

Some people (including myself) have said that calling The KalKanon Incident a "prologue" when it's a self-contained game with a beginning middle and end is just plain confusing, but the person calling the shots on that word choice apparently disagrees.

Put simply, I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks for this kickstarter is that it was approached as if the original Star Wars movie should be called a prologue to the full trilogy, even though it had its own clear beginning middle and end, and you don't need to see the other two movies to enjoy it (although they do enhance it).
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Spin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:09 pm

Wasn't referring to Red Ash: New World Order when I said full game. But confused EP1-3 as the prologue. But you are right as the goal of the Kickstarter was to get around 2 million for a prologue that covered the B, C and D goals. Am not going to miss this campaign when it's gone.

In other news, the Red Ash anime needs 28k to get funded.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Damo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:28 pm

Spin wrote:Wasn't referring to Red Ash: New World Order when I said full game.

I'm aware it's confusing. Whenever comcept said "the prologue" they meant the entire KalKanon Incident.

The original goal for $800,000 was to fund the four chapters (which refers to the "episodes 1-3" illustrated on the map as Area A, and an additional training area outside the map). While comcept felt they could flesh that much out into 8 hours worth of gameplay, the result would not have included all the areas and events they had envisioned. FUZE funding covered the entire "prologue," which is Areas A, B, C, and D. It did not cover elements outside of that, such as the Call-centered epilogue, the ability to switch over to playing as Tyger (opening up new areas and abilities), and an extra long extra hard dungeon full of unique challenges and obstacles that comcept had dreamed up to be especially challenging. Bear in mind that fleshing out the details with FUZE was going on while the kickstarter was still running. Inafune had briefly met with them at E3 to discuss possible future collaboration, but they really came out of nowhere during the campaign, showing up and going "yeah, we'll fund this thing right here." So if the reports of what was funded by FUZE have been confusing, that's partly because it just happened and nobody was expecting anything like it to happen.

I will definitely agree that the kickstarter has had a variety of poor choices (starting with the decision to bend over backward to accommodate Studio4C and their demands and schedule, which I suspect led to the decision to do this now instead of after MN9 was released), bad luck, things happening at the worst possible time, and explanations that caused confusion. Still, I would argue that the team involved have excellent resumes for working on precisely this sort of game, comcept made several generous offers to backers, and as rough as the mockup may have been it showed the main characters' models (which should have put to bed the concerns that the designs would not fit the concept art), and demonstrated some gameplay philosophy (particularly exploring to find hidden elements) that should have resonated with Legends fans.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:18 pm

Watched an interesting video about people talking about Red Ash and Inafune (language warning) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JXSNswtA1Y
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!