Comcept Kickstarters Red Ash, a spiritual successor to MML

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Comcept Kickstarters Red Ash, a spiritual successor to M

Postby lalalei2001 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:31 pm

If I understood the latest update right, they're saying that the kickstarter is funding a game that will be a few hours long but isn't the full game they want to sell. They're hoping a publisher will like what they put together on kickstarter and fund the rest.

Starting today they're letting you put in a pledge that will get you the full game. And today you can do it for $49, but tomorrow it goes up to $79.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby SurrealBrain » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:58 am

That true?

If so...Comcept really don't like people, do they?
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby Bean » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:25 am

They do have a poll up in their latest update for who the mayor should be of four candidates. That one is for anyone to vote for and not just backers, pulling a page out of the MML3 playbook.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby Damo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:10 pm

SurrealBrain wrote:That true?

If so...Comcept really don't like people, do they?

Hm? They promised to give away several thousand copies of the ~20-hour game for free to people who had already bought the ~8 hour game, paying for it out of their own pocket.

How'd you get "they don't like people" from that?
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Spin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:28 pm

Was going to throw out $89 for the physical copy, so I could get The New Order Conspiracy main story. But if it's just a digital copy, I'm better off just sticking with the digital copy of the prologue for $25. And worry about buying the main story later.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Tsurugi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:00 pm

Tsurugi
BumbleNoble

Postby Damo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:45 pm

So since the voting confirmed that 66.55% of participants want a PS4 version, comcept went ahead and confirmed that's the first console they're shooting for as a stretch goal.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:16 pm

Damo wrote:So since the voting confirmed that 66.55% of participants want a PS4 version, comcept went ahead and confirmed that's the first console they're shooting for as a stretch goal.

Stretch... goal?

Forget putting the cart before the horse, this is putting the cart before the duck!
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Dejimon11 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:32 am

I never got this questioned answered. Why should people fund this if Mighty No.9 isn't out yet? Yes the production of the game is finished but it isn't released and we don't know if the game will be good or not? Comcept hasn't proven their worth yet and the state of the kickstarter shows that people have a similar mentality.
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby Spin » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:24 pm

Dejimon11 wrote:I never got this questioned answered. Why should people fund this if Mighty No.9 isn't out yet? Yes the production of the game is finished but it isn't released and we don't know if the game will be good or not? Comcept hasn't proven their worth yet and the state of the kickstarter shows that people have a similar mentality.

I'll bite.

Due to the industry, a company can't hold off on producing nothing for months waiting to see how their finalized game turns out. What with employees and all. And I'm sure with all the vocal support for MML3, Inafune thought Red Ash was a sure thing.

While I do think Inafune didn't plan as well as he could have before presenting the kickstarter and made mistakes such as thinking he could get over two million for a PC game when the original Dash/Legend was PlayStation. He made steps to correct his problems. Such as making a realistic stretch goal for PS4 and showed pre-alpha gameplay to ease people. But people still complained. And I think some people are making a bigger deal out of wanting to see Mighty No 9 first than it should be.

Outside of principal, Mighty No 9 and Red Ash are apples and oranges. Mighty No 9 has no bearings on Red Ash aside from the main characters names from what we currently see. It's very easy to pick up Mega Man/Mega Man X and hate Legends or vice vesa. The same logic applies to Mighty No 9 and Red Ash.

Comcept has helped on some games already. If you already want to judge them for yourself. Such as Soul Sacrifice, Ninja Gaiden Z, and Azure Striker Gunvolt. Of course none of those were co-developed with Hyde Inc. And Mighty No 9 has a different team than Red Ash. Again, apples and oranges.

People have voiced wanting a Mega Man Legends 3, and Inafune offered up a spiritual successor, which isn't good enough to some. Which is fine, but for as much outpouring support a lot of Mega Man fans claimed to have when upset at Capcom for canceling MM3. The project should have already been funded. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there's a cavalry somewhere in the distance waiting until the last day to give the game the desperate final push to fund it.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Bean » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:54 pm

Had this have been the first game after Inafune left, this would've been the one getting a huge sum of money. There are a lot of people that just don't like this man at this point or how MN9 was handled ("Lying about the art" when it clearly said 2.5D to begin with, etc.) Instead, it's going to fail to reach its funding goal by around a good 20% and make Capcom look right in their decision to can MML3 years ago, even if that's not fair to the Legends fan base.

I still have no clue why people are rallying behind the business man comment from Kamiya when no one buys his unlicensed games outside of me and like 50k other people at best. Heck, he has more Twitter followers than that! Sadly, this Kickstarter was poorly timed, and it's a shame. I hope they keep working on getting the game going, but I'm not going to hold my breath or anything.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby Damo » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:03 pm

Well they've released this playable mockup that they spent the last couple weeks working on. Some of it uses placeholder elements but the main characters' models are in there too. I'd say it's less to demonstrate gameplay and more to demonstrate design philosophy - they've put in stuff you have to find and figure out, which is what they're hoping to do on a bigger scale with the game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mi ... ect_update

Unity web version:

http://redashgame.com/prototype/WebPlayer.html

Dejimon11 wrote:I never got this questioned answered. Why should people fund this if Mighty No.9 isn't out yet? Yes the production of the game is finished but it isn't released and we don't know if the game will be good or not? Comcept hasn't proven their worth yet and the state of the kickstarter shows that people have a similar mentality.

Well I'd say the problem is that you're saying "Comcept" hasn't proven "their" worth.

Comcept isn't a person, it's a company, with different teams of developers.

The team that worked on Mighty No. 9 is not the same as the team that's working on Red Ash.

The people working on Red Ash have their own resumes. And they are very good resumes. I'd go so far as to say that they are a significantly better fit for Red Ash than the MN9 team was for that game.

But yeah, playable mockup, see for yourself.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Bean » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:01 pm

It won't be enough, but when you go on Twitter and see some people celebrating its failure... It's a shame, but those kind of fans are exactly the ones why it feels like Capcom was in the right now to pretty much bury Mega Man at this point. Like I said, it's not even just Red Ash's poorly timed campaign. It goes into MM10, ZX/ZXA, late BN and SF games, Powered Up, Maverick Hunter X, even this comic at the moment with the upcoming hiatus.

It's not like they had to go for every one of those ones because Mega Man has so many different branches and games that it can be tough to keep up, but all of the above listed things have either not met expectations or outright bombed. I don't know what you can do about that other than hope that MN9 turns out fine and try the Red Ash thing again down the road to see if there really are enough fans left in the series.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby Dejimon11 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:12 pm

Spin wrote:

I'll bite.

Due to the industry, a company can't hold off on producing nothing for months waiting to see how their finalized game turns out. What with employees and all. And I'm sure with all the vocal support for MML3, Inafune thought Red Ash was a sure thing.

While I do think Inafune didn't plan as well as he could have before presenting the kickstarter and made mistakes such as thinking he could get over two million for a PC game when the original Dash/Legend was PlayStation. He made steps to correct his problems. Such as making a realistic stretch goal for PS4 and showed pre-alpha gameplay to ease people. But people still complained. And I think some people are making a bigger deal out of wanting to see Mighty No 9 first than it should be.

Outside of principal, Mighty No 9 and Red Ash are apples and oranges. Mighty No 9 has no bearings on Red Ash aside from the main characters names from what we currently see. It's very easy to pick up Mega Man/Mega Man X and hate Legends or vice vesa. The same logic applies to Mighty No 9 and Red Ash.

Comcept has helped on some games already. If you already want to judge them for yourself. Such as Soul Sacrifice, Ninja Gaiden Z, and Azure Striker Gunvolt. Of course none of those were co-developed with Hyde Inc. And Mighty No 9 has a different team than Red Ash. Again, apples and oranges.

People have voiced wanting a Mega Man Legends 3, and Inafune offered up a spiritual successor, which isn't good enough to some. Which is fine, but for as much outpouring support a lot of Mega Man fans claimed to have when upset at Capcom for canceling MM3. The project should have already been funded. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there's a cavalry somewhere in the distance waiting until the last day to give the game the desperate final push to fund it.

Makes sense. I understand that MN9 and RA are 2 completely different beast but it's the principle of it all. I know Comcept have been involved with games but this is a new IP they want to be a ground breaking success before the game is even out.

Bean wrote:Had this have been the first game after Inafune left, this would've been the one getting a huge sum of money. There are a lot of people that just don't like this man at this point or how MN9 was handled ("Lying about the art" when it clearly said 2.5D to begin with, etc.) Instead, it's going to fail to reach its funding goal by around a good 20% and make Capcom look right in their decision to can MML3 years ago, even if that's not fair to the Legends fan base.

I still have no clue why people are rallying behind the business man comment from Kamiya when no one buys his unlicensed games outside of me and like 50k other people at best. Heck, he has more Twitter followers than that! Sadly, this Kickstarter was poorly timed, and it's a shame. I hope they keep working on getting the game going, but I'm not going to hold my breath or anything.

I really don't get the Kamiya thing either especially since he's said that he claims that there's nothing wrong with being a business man. I think people just quote that to see how ambiguous Inafune is with his projects. IDK

Damo wrote:

Well I'd say the problem is that you're saying "Comcept" hasn't proven "their" worth.

Comcept isn't a person, it's a company, with different teams of developers.

The team that worked on Mighty No. 9 is not the same as the team that's working on Red Ash.

The people working on Red Ash have their own resumes. And they are very good resumes. I'd go so far as to say that they are a significantly better fit for Red Ash than the MN9 team was for that game.

But yeah, playable mockup, see for yourself.

Damo Ive been real quiet about this and I do not to be rude but this response(along with others you've made to me in the past) kinda comes off as you trying to get me angry. You know what Im talking about but it seems as if your going out of your way twist my words and make me look silly please stop that its annoying at times. All Im saying is that Comcept wants to make a new game and they want to have it fund though kickstarter. They're doing this even though their last kickstarter game isn't out yet and what I'm asking is why should we help them because the chances are their latest project isn't good. Do you understand?
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby Damo » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:15 pm

Dejimon11 wrote:Damo Ive been real quiet about this and I do not to be rude but this response(along with others you've made to me in the past) kinda comes off as you trying to get me angry. You know what Im talking about but it seems as if your going out of your way twist my words and make me look silly please stop that its annoying at times. All Im saying is that Comcept wants to make a new game and they want to have it fund though kickstarter. They're doing this even though their last kickstarter game isn't out yet and what I'm asking is why should we help them because the chances are their latest project isn't good. Do you understand?

I understand what you're saying, and I'm certainly not trying to get anyone angry. Sorry if I said something that offended you. I'll try to be more careful with my words.

But let's say that the worst case scenario happens: MN9 comes out and it's awful. Does that really tell us much about Red Ash? Should we condemn everyone in the company regardless of whether or not they worked on MN9? As you said, they're two different beasts. Red Ash has a very different development team. They both work for "comcept," but it's a bit unfair to try to guess what one dev team is capable based on the work of another dev team. Look at the resumes of the two teams and make judgement calls based on that. Do I think they should have waited for MN9 to release? I don't think that's even up for debate at this point, starting a new kickstarter before MN9 was a mistake. But do I think we need to see MN9 to guess what a different dev team is capable of? No. To use an analogy, it wouldn't be fair to judge the quality of Archie's Mega Man based on the quality of Betty & Veronica.

I'm not too worried about the quality of MN9 though. It's not released yet so I'm not going to assume it will be good, but the early reviews at e3 were fairly positive ( 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ), so it's probably safe to assume it wasn't awful.
Damo
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!