Comcept Kickstarters Red Ash, a spiritual successor to MML

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Comcept Kickstarters Red Ash, a spiritual successor to M

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:03 pm

Penguin God wrote:At the time I posted, it hadn't gotten nearly as far. Most all Kickstarters make most of their money in the first and last day, so only getting a fourth of the way there doesn't exactly bode well for it.

I don't expect this to be anywhere near as successful as MN9, because of all the bad blood people have against Comcept now.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby ReifuTD » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:14 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Penguin God wrote:At the time I posted, it hadn't gotten nearly as far. Most all Kickstarters make most of their money in the first and last day, so only getting a fourth of the way there doesn't exactly bode well for it.

I don't expect this to be anywhere near as successful as MN9, because of all the bad blood people have against Comcept now.

That and Maybe inafune should waited for MN9 to come out before staring a Kickstarter for this, It's like saying hay Mega Man fans even though you don't have this game you helped pay for in you hands yet to play, help pay for this this other game Mega Man like game. I mean MN9 is suppose to come out on a few months right, I think he could have waited.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Sunwalker » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:06 pm

I have just noticed the meaning of the name. Red Ash can also be read like Re-Dash, like in Rockman Dash, the original title of Legends.

I am aware that this might be old news for many people, but just now I had an "a-ha!" moment :P
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:46 pm

Sunwalker wrote:I have just noticed the meaning of the name. Red Ash can also be read like Re-Dash, like in Rockman Dash, the original title of Legends.

I am aware that this might be old news for many people, but just now I had an "a-ha!" moment :P

When I bring this up in conversation outside of online, I often forget it is "Red Ash" and not "Re-Dash" and just call it that.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Spin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:12 pm

Well the stretch goals changed a bit. Now if the campaign hits a million, there will be a console port. The kicker, no word what the console will be. Comcept is currently in talks with Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo and will run a poll about what console the fans would most like to see later. Along with that Stretch Goal B is higher to accommodate the new console stretch goal. Console Port is worth 200,000 while Episodes IV and V is still 500,000. And some people are surprise surprise complaining about the console port announcement.

Meanwhile the five minute anime is 49% funded. While the game is 41% funded.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby lalalei2001 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:21 pm

Spin wrote:Well the stretch goals changed a bit. Now if the campaign hits a million, there will be a console port. The kicker, no word what the console will be. Comcept is currently in talks with Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo and will run a poll about what console the fans would most like to see later.

That's an interesting way to do things. o.o I wonder if it would be only one console or multiple ones. And if console includes handhelds like the 3DS and Vita.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:53 pm

I'm personally very excited about this project. It pains me to see it going so slowly, but yes this project truly was badly timed... I hope things end up picking up for it.
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:46 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:
Spin wrote:Well the stretch goals changed a bit. Now if the campaign hits a million, there will be a console port. The kicker, no word what the console will be. Comcept is currently in talks with Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo and will run a poll about what console the fans would most like to see later.

That's an interesting way to do things. o.o I wonder if it would be only one console or multiple ones. And if console includes handhelds like the 3DS and Vita.

While a PC game could be of any quality, they probably want to go for something more powerful. But that concerns me. Making something with a console in mind ultimately holds a PC version back
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:57 pm

I doubt that will be a problem. It's very unlikely that they're going to shoot for Square Enix level graphics, or a massive open world with complicated mechanics and features. Never mind the limited workforce of an indie developer.
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan

Postby DoNotDelete » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:02 am

This looked interesting from the outset, but the stock anime introduction and stock anime characterisation has put me off pretty much immediately. I'll watch it for any character visuals/designs to come out of it but I'm not going to become invested in it beyond that.

I really didn't expect the RED ASH characters to re-use the names Beck and Call.

Bad play, Inafune.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby WiNTER BELLS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:47 am

DoNotDelete wrote:I really didn't expect the RED ASH characters to re-use the names Beck and Call.

Bad play, Inafune.

Really? I honestly would have been disappointed if it were any other way... feels like it sticks to tradition.
WiNTER BELLS
BumbleFan

Postby Damo » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:25 pm

I really think before people form any opinions about this project they need to look at the development team.

The director is Masahiro Yasuma. He's got a long resume, but let's just focus on what he did for the Legends series. On Legends 1 he was in charge of Event Design. Among other things, he put in all those little touches that made the Legends world seem more real. If you remember interacting with your environment in unexpected ways - kicking around a can, being able to mess around with (or attack) things you thought were scenery, finding a dirty magazine in the bookstore - that stuff was him. When Capcom green-lit the next game in the series, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, he was put in charge. He was one of the most important people when it came to making the first game in the series, and took the reins for the second.

Beyond him, all the main art/design positions are held by people that worked on Legends games. They know what they have to do to carry on the feel of the Legends series. Of course they know; they helped create that feel in the first place. And for the music they've brought in Manami Matsumae, who did a ton of stuff over the years including the music for the original Mega Man game.

It's not entirely Legends crew working on this, and there are definitely some key people from Legends that aren't involved (I've got my fingers crossed some will get tapped to provide some assists down the line), but this is still a good chunk of people that worked on those games who want to make another game with a similar style and feel. Capcom won't let them make a Legends game, so they went with Red Ash. When people call this a ripoff or a knock-off, they're basically saying that the Mega Man trademark is more important than the people who actually made the games.

Now, I'm not going to pretend that the people running the kickstarter have done a good job. Even keeping in mind there were some factors outside of their control, there's no denying that they basically tripped their way out of the starting gate.

But the people running the kickstarter aren't the team assigned to actually design the game. The dev team have their own resumes.

So look, if people don't want to back this because they don't have the money, okay, I can understand.

If people don't want to back this because they're only interested in a continuation of the Legends storyline... I'd argue that if this doesn't get funded it'll hurt the already-dismal odds of Legends 3 ever getting made. But I can understand this position.

If you're not backing because you think the kickstarter was handled badly, I'd argue that the people running the kickstarter aren't the people that will make the game. Make your call based on whether or not you think the people doing the game seem like they'd do a good job.

If you don't want to back because you don't like what you've seen of MN9, then I think you should bear in mind that 1. this is being made by a different group of people from MN9, and 2. there are more people assigned to this who have done Legends-style games than there were people who had done MM/X-style platformers assigned to MN9.

And if you're reluctant because you think this is a "ripoff" of Legends, well, many of the key figures working on this also helped to make Legends games. They're just trying to do something inspired by what they worked on in the past.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:27 pm

Problem with your logic is that if Comcept isn't a cohesive unit-its development and its pr, then it really doesn't deserve the money OR the talented people whose talent they are squandering with their poor business decisions.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Mordum » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:46 am

DoNotDelete wrote:This looked interesting from the outset, but the stock anime introduction and stock anime characterisation has put me off pretty much immediately. I'll watch it for any character visuals/designs to come out of it but I'm not going to become invested in it beyond that.

I really didn't expect the RED ASH characters to re-use the names Beck and Call.

Bad play, Inafune.

It's like some kind of giant sadness singularity.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Damo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:32 pm

So for those who haven't been following closely...

The Red Ash game campaign is to fund a self-contained "prologue," that should be a few hours long. Comcept plans to use that to shop around to publishers to secure funding for the full game - a much larger project that could never hope to be funded on kickstarter alone.

For a while they've been a bit uncomfortable doing it that way, since obviously people want to be able to get the full game, not just a prologue. But if they said in the kickstarter that some people would get the full game, that would hurt them in negotiations with publishers (who's going to agree to fund a game when some copies are already sold and you can't make money off them?)

Recently they said screw it, and decided they'd cover the costs of doing it that way themselves. If they get a publishing deal (which is very likely if the kickstarter is funded), they'll cough up the money themselves to get people the "full game." That way it doesn't hurt their negotiations with publishers, although Comcept's wallet takes a hit.

Now starting tomorrow the pledge level to get the prologue, Beta-access, full game and so on will be set at $79.

Today it's at $49.

Oh, and anyone who already pledged at least $49? You're already signed up for this.
Damo
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!