Comcept Kickstarters Red Ash, a spiritual successor to MML

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Comcept announces Red Ash, a spiritual successor to MML

Postby The KKM » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:36 pm

Now that I've had time to recover from being struck dumb by it, I'm free to just state that for no reason at all, they're going as far as ripping off the "various Mega Man incarnations" for no reason- that's Beck and Call there in Red Ash, despite no publisher in Inafune's neck going "make it Beck or it won't sell".

And also obviously blah blah money-grabbing blah blah two kickstarters blah blah immense amounts of money blah blah already planning an anime blah blah waste of Studio 4ºC
The KKM
BumbleClan

Re: Comcept announces Red Ash, a spiritual successor to MML

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:38 pm

All i can say in response to that is "Welp." Edited the thread title too.

I really thought they'd announce the GAME instead of two Kickstarters. You think either will be funded?

i feel like this would have been more effective if they'd announced/made Red Ash first, since Legends specifically was what many fans were upset over at that time.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Re: Comcept Kickstarters Red Ash, a spiritual successor to M

Postby Razorsaw » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:01 pm

To be honest, I had a fair amount of cynicism for this going in, and I have even more now.

The fact that they're trying to sell it on concept alone is worrying, because Mighty No. 9 ended up not being what was sold to people either. Yes, it's Mega Man-like in basic gameplay, but the actual platforming is shallow and the emphasis is on the score attack model. The characters are also clearly send ups and pastiches of an existing work and feel creatively sterile and uninteresting, and as exciting as it was to have "Megaman is back! yea!", in actual operation, Beck and his ilk have no identity of their own.

And now they're repeating history, and... two of the main characters are expies of expies. Because that was like Mega Man Legends was like, see. There doesn't seem to be any new ideas here. Beck and his cast have no life outside of who they remind people of. Compare that to other "start my own" concepts like Bayonetta; you can't say she has no identity separate from Dante, despite the broad similarities.

The fact we're not seeing gameplay AGAIN and instead just a bunch of promises doesn't assage the worry that they'll pull another MN9 and just hit the basic beats instead of what made MML 1 and 2 great, either.

Like LBD said, this is good business. It's catering to people who are nostalgic and miss a certain thing. But in operation it just feels propped up and soulless.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby Bean » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:04 pm

I like what Mighty No. 9 is shaping up to be, but you have to think that it would've been smarter to hold off this Kickstarter until after MN9 was released and received first. And Legends is much more niche than Mega Man ever was. I don't think this one's going to be funded, or if it will, it will just barely clear it. Those people want MML3, not a spiritual successor at this point.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:06 pm

As far as Capcom and Mega Man goes, it all started with Mega Man Battle Network 4, which was a highly-anticipated sequel to the highly-acclaimed BN3. When 4 came out, tons of people bought it—and most thought it was really bad. As a result, not only did 5 and 6 not sell as well, despite being better than 4, the Star Force series, ZX series, and Zero series didn't sell well. The X series was already dormant, so when Mega Man 9 came out, people were ecstatic. (The X series also had this problem due to X6—highly anticipated, but not so good).

But here's the thing—9 and 10 didn't sell very well either, and at the time Legends 3 was announced, the 3DS wasn't doing well. It was a very, very risky move to announce it as such an early stage of development, and when it was canceled, everyone knew about it.

Basically, the Mega Man game series as a whole doesn't sell well anymore, and that's why he's mostly been appearing in merchandising, rereleases of old, hard-to-find games, amiibo, armor in Monster Hunter, Smash Bros., comic books, and an upcoming cartoon. I'm confident that they will do something new with the franchise as a whole, but only until they have enough funds to risk it.

If Mighty No. 9 was going to be a big, assured hit from the start, why did we have to fund it and why do we have to fund this new game and anime after Comcept already found a publisher? I get the feeling it will sell no better or worse than any other Mega Man game.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Dejimon11 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:31 pm

Bean wrote:I like what Mighty No. 9 is shaping up to be, but you have to think that it would've been smarter to hold off this Kickstarter until after MN9 was released and received first. And Legends is much more niche than Mega Man ever was. I don't think this one's going to be funded, or if it will, it will just barely clear it. Those people want MML3, not a spiritual successor at this point.

What hurts it even more is that there are 2 kick starters running at the same time

lalalei2001 wrote:As far as Capcom and Mega Man goes, it all started with Mega Man Battle Network 4, which was a highly-anticipated sequel to the highly-acclaimed BN3. When 4 came out, tons of people bought it—and most thought it was really bad. As a result, not only did 5 and 6 not sell as well, despite being better than 4, the Star Force series, ZX series, and Zero series didn't sell well. The X series was already dormant, so when Mega Man 9 came out, people were ecstatic. (The X series also had this problem due to X6—highly anticipated, but not so good).

But here's the thing—9 and 10 didn't sell very well either, and at the time Legends 3 was announced, the 3DS wasn't doing well. It was a very, very risky move to announce it as such an early stage of development, and when it was canceled, everyone knew about it.

Basically, the Mega Man game series as a whole doesn't sell well anymore, and that's why he's mostly been appearing in merchandising, rereleases of old, hard-to-find games, amiibo, armor in Monster Hunter, Smash Bros., comic books, and an upcoming cartoon. I'm confident that they will do something new with the franchise as a whole, but only until they have enough funds to risk it.

If Mighty No. 9 was going to be a big, assured hit from the start, why did we have to fund it and why do we have to fund this new game and anime after Comcept already found a publisher? I get the feeling it will sell no better or worse than any other Mega Man game.

If you want to be technical there have only been 4 Mega Man games to have break 1 Million. Mega Man 2 and 3, Mega Man X and Mega Man Battle Network 4. 9 and 10 actually sold well since they were to top downloaded games at the time they were released. Not to mention that Capcom has gone on record saying that they were satisfied with how well they sold. I think the problem is that hasn't really sold all that well. There have been over 125 games in the series and only 4 have broken 1 million. Thats not good at all.
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby Spin » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:14 pm

Wow, I was completely wrong. This is indeed just Mighty Legends.

Think it's crazy Inafune is asking backing for both the Red Ash anime project and the game project at the same time. It's good he's upfront about his plan for wanting an anime adaption too instead of waiting until the last minute to announce it. But this seems too ambitious right from the gate.

Right now Red Ash is competing against itself while the game is being budgeted so it can just be released with the bare minimum. It needs all the funds it can get so we can get the full game experience.

I want the physical version of the game, but I'm not much of a PC gamer and the physical game is $89 and it doesn't seem worthwhile with just the current three episodes. Going to wait and see if Comcept is going to do anything to further entice people to support the project. Otherwise I may end up going digital.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Damo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:42 am

The "two kickstarters at once" thing sounds crazy at first, but keep in mind that Studio4C has done game work before and will be doing their animation in cgi. It's early enough that some things might change, but the idea is to pool resources, with comcept providing raw ideas and character designs, Studio 4C turning it into animation while also helping to provide visuals for the game, and the raw coding gruntwork being handled by Hyde, Inc (a company whose main work apparently consists of showing up to save well-known dev teams that have found themselves needing outside help to get out of a jam... but since that's embarassing, Hyde's not allowed talk about their involvement in many of the games they've helped on. Apparently this is common in Japan).
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:25 am

Damo wrote: Studio 4C turning it into animation while also helping to provide visuals for the game, and the raw coding gruntwork being handled by Hyde, Inc (a company whose main work apparently consists of showing up to save well-known dev teams that have found themselves needing outside help to get out of a jam... but since that's embarassing, Hyde's not allowed talk about their involvement in many of the games they've helped on. Apparently this is common in Japan).

I think in Japan needing help at all is seen as weak or embarrassing, which is why therapists are very uncommon in anime, manga and other media.

I wonder what other games Hyde, Inc. has worked on without our knowledge.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:39 am

Comcept wants more of my money? Not after they blundered their way through the forum fiasco. Nope. Not gonna happen. I actually kinda hope it fails so people know they can't bank on nostalgia alone to push game development.

EDIT: I still wonder why we put these not mega man games in the mega man board
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Mordum » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:00 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:EDIT: I still wonder why we put these not mega man games in the mega man board

I refuse to believe you're so obtuse a human being that you don't see how some people would find something you openly admit is banking on Megaman nostalgia relevant to a subforum dedicated to discussing Megaman's brand.

Otherwise I agree with you in the sense that banking on nostalgia is stupid (Mighty Number Nine ALWAYS looked like boring garbage), but it's like even when we agree you manage to squeeze out some way of looking like a complete inane tool.

I'm genuinely impressed at this point.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:50 pm

Mordum wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:EDIT: I still wonder why we put these not mega man games in the mega man board

I refuse to believe you're so obtuse a human being that you don't see how some people would find something you openly admit is banking on Megaman nostalgia relevant to a subforum dedicated to discussing Megaman's brand.

Otherwise I agree with you in the sense that banking on nostalgia is stupid (Mighty Number Nine ALWAYS looked like boring garbage), but it's like even when we agree you manage to squeeze out some way of looking like a complete inane tool.

I'm genuinely impressed at this point.

It's a fine craft I've honed through years of dedication.

But in all seriousness, I'd like to talk about Sonic stuff in the Sonic board and Mega Man stuff in the Mega Man board. Talking about Mighty No. 9 and Re Dash on the Mega Man board makes as much sense as talking about The Lara-su Chronicles on the Sonic Board. all LSC discussion was moved off the Sonic board a long time ago, yet we still have the Mega Man equivalent on the Mega Man board.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby DudestofGuys » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:16 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:Talking about Mighty No. 9 and Re Dash on the Mega Man board makes as much sense as talking about The Lara-su Chronicles on the Sonic Board. all LSC discussion was moved off the Sonic board a long time ago, yet we still have the Mega Man equivalent on the Mega Man board.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong; didn't that happen because the discussion became a 300 page pileup where people kept repeating things and making jabs at Mr. Penders instead of talking about the project or how it relates to Sonic?
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby lalalei2001 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:02 pm

I just figured since Mighty No. 9 had a thread here this should too. Sorry ^^;
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!