Comcept Kickstarters Red Ash, a spiritual successor to MML

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Comcept Kickstarters Red Ash, a spiritual successor to MML

Postby lalalei2001 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Comcept is apparently going to make a successor to Mega Man Legends. They dropped a teaser video and are saying more details on the 4th at Anime Expo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbGmrySQLIg

I have to say, I'm not very excited for this partially because I'd rather conclude Legends' story than see something new XD; Though I bet it will have a lot of sly references to things being covered with water. And the moon. And the moon being covered with water :P

EDIT:

Seems it's less 'announces' and more 'announces two Kickstarters." One is for the game, one for an anime.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mi ... y-studio4c

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mi ... ble-legend
Last edited by lalalei2001 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Re: Comcept announces Red Ash, a spiritual successor to MML

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:35 pm

Very cool.

Not a huge game player these days but I like the character designs.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:37 pm

Well, I'm happy for fans.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Unless the plot of the new game is about saving your friend who's trapped on the moon, I don't know if it would provide closure or be what the fans would want. A successor isn't a sequel.

EDIT: I still can't beat the three Servbots, Tron, and Bon in Legends 1. You know, the boss at the very beginning.

The one time I did, the game crashed in the following cutscene.

On a side note, when I first saw Legends screenshots I was convinced it was an RPG because something that looked that good had to be an RPG. I may have mixed it up with Phantasy Star Online.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:51 pm

It looks okay. Mostly I'm watching it because of Studio 4C, who I've always wanted to see doing their own thing since Global Astroliner (not appropriate for younger viewers.)
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:49 pm

That's cool and all, but I'm pretty sure most people wanted to see the end of the story. Also, these characters aren't even trying to be original. I am disappointed how much this game in particular is trying to ride on MML's coattails. I was disgusted by the very Roll-looking call, and having a blatant bootleg tiesel and someone with the Bonne's logo is just plan dumb.

I'm wondering though: is Comcept ever going to do something ORIGINAL, or are they going to bank on "oh hey, we used to work on Mega Man games!" for their entire existence?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Penguin God » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:58 pm

Sweet Fuse, Soul Sacrifice, Bugs vs Tanks, Recore. They do as many original games as they do spiritual successors.

I don't really know enough about MML to talk about whether this is tributing or ripping off. I don't really care so much about that aspect, positive or negative. it just looks like a cute game.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:37 pm

Penguin God wrote:Sweet Fuse, Soul Sacrifice, Bugs vs Tanks, Recore. They do as many original games as they do spiritual successors.

I don't really know enough about MML to talk about whether this is tributing or ripping off. I don't really care so much about that aspect, positive or negative. it just looks like a cute game.

oh okay, I guess they do the spiritual successors because no one has heard of any of their other series.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby lalalei2001 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:06 am

Recore was just announced at this year's E3, but I do admit I hadn't heard of the others.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:14 am

They're not Capcom-level blockbusters but they're fine games. Just because you didn't know about them doesn't mean nobody did. The studio's making games they want to. Some are spiritual successors, some aren't.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby DoNotDelete » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:49 am

I don't think it's a bad thing for Inafune to be giving fans what they want when Capcom have let so many people down on so many Mega Man fronts, even if it's not strictly speaking a 'true' Mega Man Legends sequel.

I think the 'subtle' references to Tron Bonne and stuff are more for the fans, I think Inafune/his design team could just as easily have come up with something different.

I especially like the kid's industrialesque clunky-looking steampunk cannon arm, it's a style a like.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:43 am

I'm not convinced that they would have done this and Mighty No. 9 had so many fans played the "Capcom's not giving us Mega Man, can't you give us a new Mega Man/Legends-like game?" card.

Seriously, with that kind of outcry, I'm not at all surprised he's doing it. It's just good business sense.

I am surprised at how blatant it is, but I'm not surprised that it's happening.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby ReifuTD » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:42 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I'm not convinced that they would have done this and Mighty No. 9 had so many fans played the "Capcom's not giving us Mega Man, can't you give us a new Mega Man/Legends-like game?" card.

Seriously, with that kind of outcry, I'm not at all surprised he's doing it. It's just good business sense.

I am surprised at how blatant it is, but I'm not surprised that it's happening.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Yah specially given this thing some people pointed out about the name "Red Ash" you smush it together and get "Re-dAsh"
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Spin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:34 pm

At least he's separating the "Classic" brand from the "Legends" brand.

I'll keep my eye on it, but I am intrigued. I loved Legends more than just having the Mega Man moniker attached to it. As long as Inafune keeps to the spirit of the original, it has the potential to be a great game.

I just hope he plans small, I don't want him getting cocky and plan three games ahead. We don't need more cliffhanger endings.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Damo » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:32 pm

We'll get more news soon.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!