Mega Man #53 Solicitation and Series End?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #53 Solicitation and Series End?

Postby TurboTailz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:27 pm

Shadow Man switching sides shouldn't be much of a shock since it was already foreshadowed during Ra Moon arc. He is from another world who probably still unaware of those out of space robots that worked for Ra Moon.
Spoiler: show
He'll probably play double agent on Wily as well so that's not surprising.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:42 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:VERY iffy; depending on the MM series, that could multiply the licensing costs.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

What he means is that all Battle Network/Star Force related media sans the games themselves are owned by VIZ Media, and the Zero and ZX series are at least partially owned by Nintendo (I think? Someone clarify)

Never heard of Nintendo owning any part of Mega Man.

...maybe the Super Smash Bros. design. But that'd be it, as far as I know.

But yeah, the rest is more or less on target.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:36 am

It's my understanding that if a game was licensed by Nintendo for the Game Boy Advance or Nintendo DS, if that game were to be re-released, (barring a complete remake like Kingdom Hearts: CoM) it had to be on a Nintendo console. That being said, I have no idea if this is actually true, or if it would apply to merchandising at all.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby DoNotDelete » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:18 am

I don't think that's quite right. To give a parallel: Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie were originally N64-exclusive titles, but now (following whatever fallout happened between Nintendo and Rare) Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie are available to play on other consoles with no sign of re-release on a Nintendo console. I think the same consideration can be applied to any Mega Man game that originated on a Nintendo console.

I don't personally know the ins-and-outs of the licensing arrangements for those particular Mega Man games though - the licenses may have had any number of clauses bolted-on to grant Nintendo exclusive ownership of those games. I'd guess that licensing arrangements can be as complicated as people need them to be.

Sunwalker wrote:
BlazeHeatnix wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:VERY iffy; depending on the MM series, that could multiply the licensing costs.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

What he means is that all Battle Network/Star Force related media sans the games themselves are owned by VIZ Media, and the Zero and ZX series are at least partially owned by Nintendo (I think? Someone clarify)

The difficulty is not only about who owns the games, but it is also that from a licensing viewpoint each Mega Man incarnation counts as a different property, which can make the licensing fees quite expensive if Archie has to pay for each one of them This, or maybe Archie and Capcom could have some different kind of deal involving all the incarnations, but I am not an expert in licensing so I do not know how (or if) it can happen.

Yeah. It would be a licensing headache - but I don't know for how long a license generally runs, or even if licences can be bought for short-term circumstances. However, the late addition of so many Capcom properties in the Worlds Unite crossover suggests short-term licenses can be sought/used - though this may be a special/unusual circumstance Capcom/Sega might not readily repeat.

Also, Viz media may own the rights to reproduce existing BN/SF material - (the manga and anime) but I don't think that arrangement prevents Archie from producing new material based off of the games. It's like saying that because UDON owns the rights to reproduce the Hitoshi Ariga Mega Man manga, Archie can't produce new Mega Man material based off of the same games - and we know that's not true.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby The KKM » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:04 pm

Considering we've been specifically told no Battle Network because of Viz, it DOES seem they have a deal to any material, new or not, in the US.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:00 pm

Pretty sure it all depends on what contract was written. I doubt they're uniform.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby lawnmower9000 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:05 pm

I've been reading since Worlds Collide started and have enjoyed every bit. I'm kind of torn though. I'm definitely up for a break because, whether he likes it or not, it gives Mr. Flynn a bit of a break and maybe a chance to consider more on what he wants to do for the series' future. On the other hand, paycheck drops suck. Well, it's happening, so I guess that's all that there is to it. Hopefully when the comic returns Archie will consider a Battle Network adaption (wishful thinking pls).

Now, for the issue itself. It seems pretty interesting, and hopefully it builds off of the end of Worlds Unite instead of using memory loss again. It's definitely a set-up for MM4 (I'm assuming that the solicit is referring to Wily's kidnapping of Kalinka). I hope that Archie reconsiders their 4-issue arc rule because I just can't imagine how it will work for MM4. Maybe a 4-issue arc on the RMs and a 4-issue arc for both castles? It'll certainly be tricky to handle.
lawnmower9000
BumbleNewbie

Postby Garet » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:09 am

BlazeHeatnix wrote:It's my understanding that if a game was licensed by Nintendo for the Game Boy Advance or Nintendo DS, if that game were to be re-released, (barring a complete remake like Kingdom Hearts: CoM) it had to be on a Nintendo console. That being said, I have no idea if this is actually true, or if it would apply to merchandising at all.

Wouldn't the whole Phoenix Wright saga be an example of why that isn't true? They are all ported to IOS.
Garet
BumbleNewbie

Postby Tsurugi » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:00 am

Garet wrote:
BlazeHeatnix wrote:It's my understanding that if a game was licensed by Nintendo for the Game Boy Advance or Nintendo DS, if that game were to be re-released, (barring a complete remake like Kingdom Hearts: CoM) it had to be on a Nintendo console. That being said, I have no idea if this is actually true, or if it would apply to merchandising at all.

Wouldn't the whole Phoenix Wright saga be an example of why that isn't true? They are all ported to IOS.

Not all of it, only the 1st 3 games and Dual Destinies, and even then the HD Trilogy got ported on to the 3DS after a while, so it could vary based on the decisions Capcom makes.
Tsurugi
BumbleNoble

Postby Archdeco » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:06 pm

I just hope we get word from Ian soon on what the heck's happening and what, if anything, we could be doing. There's panic in the streets.
Archdeco
BumbleFan

Postby Matt7325 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:15 am

Ian's already said he can't say anything about it.
Matt7325
BumbleKnight

Postby ReifuTD » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:52 am

I'd be shocked if Ian or Archie doesn't explain things more dearing Comic Con witch starts next week.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:11 am

I expect the Mega Man comic may very well return, but I also think it will be a changed beast when it comes back to us.

I'm more concerned about the general well-being of the Archie Comics Corporation. Something's not sitting right behind the scenes - it's what's causing all this hullabaloo.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:51 pm

DoNotDelete wrote:I expect the Mega Man comic may very well return, but I also think it will be a changed beast when it comes back to us.

I'm more concerned about the general well-being of the Archie Comics Corporation. Something's not sitting right behind the scenes - it's what's causing all this hullabaloo.

It seems to me that as far as I've ever been aware of the corporate side of things, the thing has been tumultuous. That one CEO called people crazy names at board meetings (stuff I can't repeat here if I could remember it at all), that whole "divorce court" situation they had with the two leaders, and losing all the contracts somehow. This just seems like another day at the office for Archie, whatever is happening
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Antiyonder » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:25 pm

I'm still questioning why it's generally assumed that the hiatus means the end of the comic when we have a few issues left, thus allowing time to turn things around sales wise.

I mean if the hiatus notice came after the final issue hit the stands, sure I'd see things with a more grim perspective. But advanced notice means things could change if Archie is given a reason to see publishing the comic as a priority.
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!