Mega Man #53 Solicitation and Series End?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #53 Solicitation and Series End?

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:35 pm

I did try to get the thread talking about the solitit and tried to joke around about the situation too. But some people just wanna argue.

Whatchagonnado?
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Antiyonder » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:28 pm

Gauntlet101010 wrote:
Antiyonder wrote:I don't know. Maybe if the threat of cancellation prompts higher sales (issues and trades), wouldn't Archie possibly reconsider giving it an end or break?

That's something to hope for.

Maybe high interest in the next solicit will help too. It'll be nice to see Cossack's expression once Wily reveals that he's alive. "Nice" as in "interesting." MM4 is one of WIly's more evil plots.

Besides which, I also figure that since we still have several months before the potential final issue, that we have quite a bit of time to throw more support behind the title.
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:00 pm

So here's the question: Should I start buying trades and variant covers or something? I'd rather not do that, but if I knew for certain that it helped, I would
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby diamonddeath » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:10 am

There's a theory that Archie is doing this to save up the money that their Kickstarter failed to obtain. If that's true, then I don't know how to feel about that. It upsets me, but at the same time it's understandable, so I really just don't know where I stand with that decision if that's the real reason.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:22 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:So here's the question: Should I start buying trades and variant covers or something? I'd rather not do that, but if I knew for certain that it helped, I would

Maybe if you bought like 1,000 of them. Every month.

It's a nice sentiment, but you can't take responsibility for 'saving' this comic upon yourself - one person buying an additional cover every month doesn't make up for its lack of appeal to a wider audience.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby ReifuTD » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:46 am

diamonddeath wrote:There's a theory that Archie is doing this to save up the money that their Kickstarter failed to obtain. If that's true, then I don't know how to feel about that. It upsets me, but at the same time it's understandable, so I really just don't know where I stand with that decision if that's the real reason.

Well, a lot of cases when a company like Archie does a Kickstarter they already have the money put away to do the project anyways, This sounds like something that would be the case since I understand this was suppose to be a relunch of what three books? (I'm kind of having trouble finding the video to rewatch or the page) In these cases Kickerstarters are basically used as a means to judge public want for said product and to off set the cost.

Kickstarter games like Shantae: Half Genie Hero and Mighty Number 9 already had to the money to movie forward with production without their Kickstarter, But a failed Kickstarter would tell the companies that they should not spend time and money and maybe cut their losses and cancel those games since there wasn't enough of a market for what they where making. If Archie was concerned about cost and was a good smart company would cut back or cancel on what people don't have a demand for.

But those games were successful and used the unexpected money to put more time on the games and add extended content. Actually I guess something like a comic or comics would be a harder sell on Kickstarter then games, I don't think Archie even put out some stretch goals. Games do this by adding content and stuff. But I could see things Archie could have done for stretch goals.

Add Extra Pages: This could be permanent or they could do it for a period of time, like the first issue to first four or six issues with extra pages even up to a year or two.

Lower Shelf Price: If Archie had a successful Kickstarter, they could have been able to lower the off the shelf price and subscription costs, This like adding the extra pages don't have to permanent, a lower book price might get more people buy into the book and when the stretch goal ends they can always bring the price back up or start a new Kickstarter to keep it low or something.

Bonus Book: Like I said I think Archie was trying to fund three books with Kickstarter, They could have dangled a fourth book as a stretch goal like giving people a Sabrina book.

They might even have been able to offer these extend benefits/stretch goals to other parts of the company like momentary extra pages or lower price for the Archie Action books.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Meliden » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:55 pm

I honestly don't know if Archie were planning that well with their kickstarter, so they may not have had the money in the bank for it, at least not 100%.

...Uh, would say something about the solicit, but I don't really follow Mega Man enough to even predict how this would pan out and whether it's predictable or not or whatever.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby DoNotDelete » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:40 pm

It might sound like a crazy idea - and I don't know if the licensing of it would be viable - but I wonder if a returning Mega Man comic would do better to rotate Mega Man properties instead of focusing solely on Mega Man classic.

Each arc would have four issues before swapping over to a different property - be it X, Battle Network, Star Force or Zero - each arc could be a stand-alone story or remain open-ended until the relevant property comes back into rotation (so Ian could still use his Mega Man 4 stories). This way the Mega Man comic could retain a degree of freshness, also possibly catching the interest of more readers than a comic focusing solely on classic Mega Man has done, also providing new readers with more 'jumping on' points than an ongoing comic series does (each four issues a whole new story would start - and could be marketed as such - "A NEW STORY STARTS HERE!" could flash across the top of the page).

I don't know what that comic would call itself - maybe 'Mega Man Universe'? - but maybe that would work better for Archie than pursuing Mega Man classic exclusively has done.

Again, this may sound like a crazy idea, but I'd personally be more interested in reading a completely different story every four issues, whether or not each arc was under Ian's pen or other writers were to have a go.
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:46 pm

DoNotDelete wrote:It might sound like a crazy idea - and I don't know if the licensing of it would be viable - but I wonder if a returning Mega Man comic would do better to rotate Mega Man properties instead of focusing solely on Mega Man classic.

Each arc would have four issues before swapping over to a different property - be it X, Battle Network, Star Force or Zero - each arc could be a stand-alone story or remain open-ended until the relevant property comes back into rotation (so Ian could still use his Mega Man 4 stories). This way the Mega Man comic could retain a degree of freshness, also possibly catching the interest of more readers than a comic focusing solely on classic Mega Man has done, also providing new readers with more 'jumping on' points than an ongoing comic series does (each four issues a whole new story would start - and could be marketed as such - "A NEW STORY STARTS HERE!" could flash across the top of the page).

I don't know what that comic would call itself - maybe 'Mega Man Universe'? - but maybe that would work better for Archie than pursuing Mega Man classic exclusively has done.

Again, this may sound like a crazy idea, but I'd personally be more interested in reading a completely different story every four issues, whether or not each arc was under Ian's pen or other writers were to have a go.

Personally I prefer to have comics about Classic than jumping between series that I care less about (I mean, it was taking for ever to get to Megaman 3. With new format it would take even longer), but if it would help Blue Bomber survive then I guess I could live with change like that.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Antiyonder » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:55 pm

DoNotDelete wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:So here's the question: Should I start buying trades and variant covers or something? I'd rather not do that, but if I knew for certain that it helped, I would

Maybe if you bought like 1,000 of them. Every month.

It's a nice sentiment, but you can't take responsibility for 'saving' this comic upon yourself - one person buying an additional cover every month doesn't make up for its lack of appeal to a wider audience.

Well, if a good majority of fans did so (or at least more than just several), it certainly would make a difference. Plus, there's the option of convincing others to try what's left of it. Or if you have some younger family members who you might get comics for, buy them copies of what's left or trades as well (and maybe convincing libraries to order some trades).

At the very least, I'd say supporting the trades would be the best additional means of support if any since they're more than 3 dollars as it is. And for volumes not released yet, pre-ordering is just as good.

As for why I feel that being optimistic is the better option for the time, well some fans tend to receive cancellation/hiatus notices too late in the game, but I feel that while there's no guarantee of the comic continuing, the fact that we're not even at the last arc works in our favor.
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:18 pm

DoNotDelete wrote:It might sound like a crazy idea - and I don't know if the licensing of it would be viable - but I wonder if a returning Mega Man comic would do better to rotate Mega Man properties instead of focusing solely on Mega Man classic.

VERY iffy; depending on the MM series, that could multiply the licensing costs.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:31 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:VERY iffy; depending on the MM series, that could multiply the licensing costs.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

What he means is that all Battle Network/Star Force related media sans the games themselves are owned by VIZ Media, and the Zero and ZX series are at least partially owned by Nintendo (I think? Someone clarify)
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sunwalker » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:59 pm

BlazeHeatnix wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:VERY iffy; depending on the MM series, that could multiply the licensing costs.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

What he means is that all Battle Network/Star Force related media sans the games themselves are owned by VIZ Media, and the Zero and ZX series are at least partially owned by Nintendo (I think? Someone clarify)

The difficulty is not only about who owns the games, but it is also that from a licensing viewpoint each Mega Man incarnation counts as a different property, which can make the licensing fees quite expensive if Archie has to pay for each one of them This, or maybe Archie and Capcom could have some different kind of deal involving all the incarnations, but I am not an expert in licensing so I do not know how (or if) it can happen.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby EvilEddie » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:59 pm

That seems unlikely since the Zero design from Mega Man Zero was in a PS2 game and SNK Vs. Capcom an arcade game.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby Uwaaii » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:11 pm

Wow, what in the world happened while I was gone……

This is the only thing I will say about the hiatus: Ryannumber1gamer said that Sonic Universe and Megaman have similar sales. But even if Sonic Universe have low sales they have the main Sonic the Hedgehog comics selling well enough to make up for the loss, while Megaman is all alone. And if Sonic have two comics for one license while megaman have one for one, if the two comics have the same low sales Archie would most likely cut off Megaman. Of course I have no clue about licenses and how selling works so this is just a guess. Just trying to persuade myself there was a justified reason for the possible cancellation.

Aaand about #53, I’m guessing that Shadowman decide to switch sides, maybe taking some of the robot masters with him? The solicit sounds something pretty nice for a “final” issue.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!