Mega Man #53 Solicitation and Series End?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #53 Solicitation and Series End?

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:40 pm

Gauntlet101010 wrote:I like Archie's take as well. A LOT. Although I do think they're being too loyal to the game's structure. I'm not sure how well it can be compared to Ariga's work. Ariga is telling a VERY different kind of story in a VERY different format. It's really apples to oranges. A better comparison would be the game-based manga series, but those haven't been translated, so that's still just theory.

From what I recall, the other manga -- Ikehara's Classic and Iwamoto's X, chiefly -- followed the games' setup a lot more closely. They still had unique elements -- well, Iwamoto's X, at least (don't know for Ikehara so much), but they did the whole thing with stages, enemies, etc. throughout.

I favor how Ian's handling it. There's more of a sense of place with the stage elements there than if Mega Man just fought the Robot Masters in their rooms, but the RMs tend to be more of the focus much of the time. I thought MM3's version was particularly inspired, making Mega Man the antagonist of sorts.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Preview pages for MM#53 right here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic ... omics-2015
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby SonicWindAttack » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:22 pm

Huh... not bad, but I kinda wish there was more buildup to Mega Man acting this way. This behavior just seems to come out of nowhere. Did the time paradox screw with his head or something?
SonicWindAttack
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:27 pm

SonicWindAttack wrote:Huh... not bad, but I kinda wish there was more buildup to Mega Man acting this way. This behavior just seems to come out of nowhere. Did the time paradox screw with his head or something?

What about the entire issue prior to the crossover?

Seriously, this seems to follow right off of where we left off in that.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:43 pm

I'm still confused as to why Mega Man is slowly turning into X with his pacifism.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicWindAttack » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:48 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
SonicWindAttack wrote:Huh... not bad, but I kinda wish there was more buildup to Mega Man acting this way. This behavior just seems to come out of nowhere. Did the time paradox screw with his head or something?

What about the entire issue prior to the crossover?

Seriously, this seems to follow right off of where we left off in that.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

To be fair, it's implied that some time has passed between MM#49 and this issue. Maybe not enough for Rock to be completely over it, but he would at least be emotionally stable. Plus, you'd think he'd be a bit more reluctant to fight the Robot Masters he was devastated to see deactivated.
SonicWindAttack
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:37 pm

He's acting pretty hysterical, but kids do that. I like him not quite knowing what he's talking or thinking about here, even if it's a little overblown. The art's fairly nice, although there's a lot of missing backgrounds.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:21 am

There isn't much to suggest that a significant amount of time or events -- WU aside -- have transpired to really resolve his issues from before. It's clearly a sensitive issue and a bit of a sore spot for him.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Penguin God » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:38 am

Seriously though, I know I'm the only one in love with this concept, but I adore the idea that Mega Man is so complex he is beyond his own comprehension. A lot of the Robot Master stuff has held back on their sapience because they don't want to step on X's toes, so they act like every thought a Robot Master can have has a clear and logical source. Everything is a result of their programming, and they're forced to make sense with themselves. But Rock's having feelings he has no idea where they're coming from, or even what they precisely are. He is a robot, made to be more aware of his own inner workings and processes more than any human ever could be, and he's still a mystery to himself. It's an absolutely fantastic idea, even if the issue isn't really about that.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:36 am

...Who posed the Robot Masters? Did Doctor Light Pose them? 'Cus if so that's morbid. Not as morbid as Guts Man and Concrete Man's talk but still pretty morbid.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:55 am

Penguin God wrote:Seriously though, I know I'm the only one in love with this concept, but I adore the idea that Mega Man is so complex he is beyond his own comprehension. A lot of the Robot Master stuff has held back on their sapience because they don't want to step on X's toes, so they act like every thought a Robot Master can have has a clear and logical source. Everything is a result of their programming, and they're forced to make sense with themselves. But Rock's having feelings he has no idea where they're coming from, or even what they precisely are. He is a robot, made to be more aware of his own inner workings and processes more than any human ever could be, and he's still a mystery to himself. It's an absolutely fantastic idea, even if the issue isn't really about that.

I concur; I also think it's entirely rational for Mega Man to have issues with regards to robot "mortality." He had his brush with it after defeating Ra Moon, and it scared him, and the idea of that happening to other robots is horrifying to him.

I find it rather interesting that Concrete Man's attitude is one of being totally at piece with being recycled when he becomes obsolete, considering his role and that of Splash Woman and the other Robot Masters from Mega Man 9. I suppose it could be one of those "you don't know how you'll actually react to a a situation until you're in it" deals, but I find it interesting. Hopefully we'll get to see the evolution of his character from this attitude of "death doesn't scare me" to "I'm so adamant about not getting shut down that I'm willing to let Wily weaponize me."
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:21 pm

Wasn't the whole deal about Robot Masters in MM9 wasn't necessarily out of the fear of 'death', but rather just wanting to still be useful to humans? Like knowing they can still have a function is the only thing that matters to them? I might be misremembering though.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby 2tailed » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:21 pm

This preview is just fantastic so far. The dialog feels so natural and gripping. It feels like this conversation between the characters is really needed, and it feels natural.

The big guys talking cheerful trash to each other, talking about how they want their remains disposed of, a la cremation or burial? Just casually talking about "deactivation"? The young one freaking out about the mortality of those he knows and those around him? It's such a clear death analogue it doesn't even feel like euphemisms are being used.

This is fantastic, this is real. I'm going to miss this comic book.
2tailed
BumbleKnight

Postby nobody231 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:45 pm

It does make sense, because he still doesn't feel alright after the deactivation of the Wilybots. And this may take place before the Worlds Unite events, too.
nobody231
BumbleNewbie

Previous

Return to For Everlasting Peace!