Mega Man Legacy Collection Announced

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man Legacy Collection Announced

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:17 pm

Here's what gets me. The Eclipse Engine is not an "engine" like the Retro Engine used in Taxman's Sonic ports. It's just a freaking emulator. They just used a flashy word for it.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby lalalei2001 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:46 pm

Did they say what ports/systems would have the new stuff/emulations from scratch?
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:13 am

lalalei2001 wrote:Did they say what ports/systems would have the new stuff/emulations from scratch?

Since no one has noticed any differences, I would assume they are all emulators. Why put so much work on building console versions from scratch, only to slap emulators onto the PC version?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby EvilEddie » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Given during development they kept comparing it to the Criterion Collection's work, it's reasonable to assume it's the same among all versions and even Digital Eclipse stated the "eclipse engine" should be able to run on anything in the future.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby Razorsaw » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:07 am

DudestofGuys wrote:
Ryannumber1gamer wrote:As it is, it's a better legal alternative than buying each game separately on the eshop, but you'd get the exact same experience (with extra content from the RCW versions, mind!) by buying a used copy of the Anniversary Collection.

this feels really disingenuous. I can understand the dissatisfaction, but "the exact experience"? The Legacy Collection is flawed to a degree, certainly, but the performance in the Anniversary Collection is several orders of magnitude more worse, the music is even more hecked up, and the controls are backasswards, and that's all on top of being available on systems that are no longer commercially available, meaning the only people who it's an option for are people who still have or are willing to buy a Gamecube.

so.

yeah.

Not "the exact experience" by any metric.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:53 am

Razorsaw wrote:
DudestofGuys wrote:
Ryannumber1gamer wrote:As it is, it's a better legal alternative than buying each game separately on the eshop, but you'd get the exact same experience (with extra content from the RCW versions, mind!) by buying a used copy of the Anniversary Collection.

this feels really disingenuous. I can understand the dissatisfaction, but "the exact experience"? The Legacy Collection is flawed to a degree, certainly, but the performance in the Anniversary Collection is several orders of magnitude more worse, the music is even more hecked up, and the controls are backasswards, and that's all on top of being available on systems that are no longer commercially available, meaning the only people who it's an option for are people who still have or are willing to buy a Gamecube.

so.

yeah.

Your quote is wrong btw. Dudeofguys said the quote. Not me.

But if you guys really want to know the full extent of Capcom's laziness. There's a little Mega Man collection that came out back in 1999. It's called Rockman Complete Works, and it features all six NES games, both with two variants. One where you can play it exactly how it was on NES with sprite flickering and such, and a Navi Mode, which basically added updated HUDs, new control features such as shoulder buttons for weapon switching, and fixing all six games to get rid of slowdown and sprite flickering. So why didn't Capcom used that as their base for Legacy Collection?
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:55 am

Razorsaw wrote:
DudestofGuys wrote:

so.

yeah.

It's also on the PS2 and Xbox, where the controls were fixed. I have the Gamecube and PS2 ones because each one has a unique bonus feature--PS2 has the first episode of the Mega Man cartoon, and the Gamecube has a documentary. I think the XBox one had both.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Razorsaw » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:04 pm

It's also on the PS2 and Xbox, where the controls were fixed. I have the Gamecube and PS2 ones because each one has a unique bonus feature--PS2 has the first episode of the Mega Man cartoon, and the Gamecube has a documentary. I think the XBox one had both.

those are all also systems that aren't on the market.

But if you guys really want to know the full extent of Capcom's laziness. There's a little Mega Man collection that came out back in 1999. It's called Rockman Complete Works, and it features all six NES games, both with two variants. One where you can play it exactly how it was on NES with sprite flickering and such, and a Navi Mode, which basically added updated HUDs, new control features such as shoulder buttons for weapon switching, and fixing all six games to get rid of slowdown and sprite flickering. So why didn't Capcom used that as their base for Legacy Collection?

Complete Works isn't a collection, it's a series of remakes. They're alright for what they are, but they're about level with the Legacy Collection in terms of performance. They're also not really remakes in the vein of the Taxman Sonic releases, either, but are also emulated.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:50 pm

Razorsaw wrote:Complete Works isn't a collection, it's a series of remakes. They're alright for what they are, but they're about level with the Legacy Collection in terms of performance. They're also not really remakes in the vein of the Taxman Sonic releases, either, but are also emulated.

They're neither remakes or emulation. Commercial emulation didn't exist yet. They're actually literally ported to the PS1. Similar to how Sonic Jam contained ports of the existing Sonic games to the Saturn. And I never had any problems with performance with the Anniversary Collection, but I had the Xbox version. The PS2 version might have issues since it's notorious for having problems with emulation. And if you use an LCD TV, you're going to have input lag regardless.
Last edited by BlazeHeatnix on Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:53 pm

The only emulation issues that I know of were the inability to do FX Chip stuff, so MM7's credits images were taken out.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:56 pm

Mode7, not FX Chip. And yeah, what I said applies to the MM1-6 ports, but for MM7 and MM8 there are actually problems with performance, messed up sound effects and the missing credits sequence.
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby DudestofGuys » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:00 pm

Razorsaw wrote:those are all also systems that aren't on the market.

The PS2 and Wii (which is backwards compatible with GameCube games) also happen to be two of the most popular video game systems to ever exist. Maybe I'm being presumptuous, but the crowd that

A. Feels morally obligated to purchase unaltered 20+ year old games before playing them.
B. Does not/has not owned a Gamecube, Xbox, PS2, BC PS3 or Wii and has no urge to have any of these systems.
C. Prefers a digital compilation to a similar cost physical counterpart

seems like it would be in the extreme minority. People who put a good price first would be more likely to go for emulation or a copy they could resell later if they aren't pleased. Collectors would gravitate towards physical releases anyway, and even the NES versions of 1-4 are fairly reasonably priced at resale for such popular games (5 and especially 6, on the other hand, can get really absurd). The AC's bugs are almost entirely in the latter games and the RCW content (especially localized Navi scripts) is endearing. Again, it might be presumptuous, but I'd guess most people who buy in on Legacy are either ignorant of their alternatives or are buying it to support the franchise.

It could be an okay deal if it went on sale, but for $15 it's not very enticing to a wary consumer.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:48 pm

And even if Capcom remastered them so they ran better, it still might not satisfy people who already own the game in 3 different ways (I have Mega Man 1-6 on NES, the Gamecube anniversary collection, and all the main series and GB spinoffs on 3ds). Remember when Chrono Trigger DS came out with a new translation and extra content? People who already played the SNES and PSX version of the game a million times didn't buy it, or nearly not enough of them did, as Square cited its low sales as to why they don't make any more Chrono games.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby ReifuTD » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:03 am

But a Remastered version couldn't hurt anything with New Robot Masters will be better I feel real stars of the Mega Man games are the bosses, I keep saying Capcom should had the series to Wayforward let them do a Mega Man game the same engine they used for Ducktales Remastered and using for Shantae Half Genie Hero. I'd be fall for buying a Remastered Mega Man game done in that style But Like I said the stars are the bosses so a Remastered would need new RM to sell well in my option specially since as Mavrick said there are so many rereleases of these games.

I might even try to go for something I would call Mega Man Remastered Remix game kind of like what Mega Man and Bass with using some of the MM8 masters. Instead of remastering Mega Man 1 or 2 or what ever game. Take 8 or 6 robot masters from different games, (I'm saying six because I personally would add two new original RMs) and have them as the 8 stages you play. Could you imagine trying to figure out weakness order for something like Elecman, Timeman, Quickman, Geniman, Skullman, Gravityman, in the same game?
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby DudestofGuys » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:26 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:Remember when Chrono Trigger DS came out with a new translation and extra content? People who already played the SNES and PSX version of the game a million times didn't buy it, or nearly not enough of them did, as Square cited its low sales as to why they don't make any more Chrono games.

It sold well over a million copies.

Chronicles Trigger DS "failed to meet sales expectations" the same way all the DS Dragon Quest games (which all sold their entire first print and broke a million units in the US alone in 9's case) and Darkstalkers Resurrection did. Some publishers say port sales may make them "consider" future titles, but it's really just marketing to get fans to boost profits on a cheap project. What they mean is that they'll develop a new game if the sales of their simple ports sell enough to fund an AAA game on their own, which is ridiculously unfeasible as even Nintendo ports don't make that much bank.

Also, who in their right mind plays Square's PS1 SNES ports?
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!