Mega Man Legacy Collection Announced

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man Legacy Collection Announced

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:33 am

Being able to play my favorite Mega Man games with no slowdown sounds like a good idea. Is that something they are doing, or are they preserving the "legacy" of the NES memory limitations?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:45 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:Being able to play my favorite Mega Man games with no slowdown sounds like a good idea. Is that something they are doing, or are they preserving the "legacy" of the NES memory limitations?

I completed Mega Man 1 on the Legacy Collection and from what I've seen, the slowdown is still present.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby EvilEddie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:48 pm

I'm encountering slow down in places I never saw it before either.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:10 pm

Ryannumber1gamer wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:Being able to play my favorite Mega Man games with no slowdown sounds like a good idea. Is that something they are doing, or are they preserving the "legacy" of the NES memory limitations?

I completed Mega Man 1 on the Legacy Collection and from what I've seen, the slowdown is still present.

Some of it was coded into the games.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:49 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Ryannumber1gamer wrote:

Some of it was coded into the games.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Yeah, I think that's the case. I'm on Wily Castle 2 in Mega Man 2, and the framerate's been pretty good on that, along with the sprite flickering being fixed.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby BlazeHeatnix » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:24 am

SO. Someone did some digging and it turns out the things Capcom said this would be is a total lie. The main .exe file has all 6 ROMs packaged inside, so it is emulation, the only change being "Licensed from Nintendo" removed where applicable. The challenges are all just savestates. So rather than be built from the ground up in a new engine, it's still emulation and thus the slowdown is actually unavoidable.

EDIT: And just to prove it's literally just emulated ROMs, here's someone running a totally different NES game in LC. Bravo, Capcom.

Spoiler: show
BlazeHeatnix
BumbleCitizen

Postby Damo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:55 am

Yeesh.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:04 am

Yeah, I couldn't really notice it in Mega Man 2, but the slowdown and sprite flickering were there in full force in Mega Man 3. I am very disappointed in Capcom. Not only did they completely lie to everyone, but if it's simply emulation, there is absolutely no reason why Mega Man 7, 8, Wily Wars, & Bass couldn't be included.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby DudestofGuys » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:00 am

Ryannumber1gamer wrote:there is absolutely no reason why Mega Man 7, 8, Wily Wars, & Bass couldn't be included.

There's actually a really good reason why they aren't: you can't run those ROMs on a Famicom emulator. Adding those titles would require proprietary SNES, Genesis and Playstation (or Saturn if you want the definitive version of 8, but that's a huge undertaking for several reasons) emulators, which would at least quadruple the budget to three six packs and a bag of potato chips. If they were actually remaking the games ala the Taxman and 3D Sonic 1 & 2, adding those games would probably take a far smaller chunk out of the overall budget.

As it is, it's a better legal alternative than buying each game separately on the eshop, but you'd get the exact same experience (with extra content from the RCW versions, mind!) by buying a used copy of the Anniversary Collection.
DudestofGuys
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:04 am

So, why hasn't anyone picked up on this yet in fan sites and the like? this seems like a pretty big deal, finding out that cpacom basically lied to all of us again.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:46 pm

Oh, wow. Haha. Good one, Eclipse. Saying you were remaking the games to be really true by remaking them from the ground up and then just making an emulator with save states and filters tacked on. Well, I guess that's the best way to keep them true to the originals.

And that's probably the main reason MM7 - 10 were left out: They can make a good NES emulator from scratch, but not the other systems, at least not right away.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:56 pm

Well, I've completed all six games and there has been absolutely 100% nothing fixed in it whatsoever. Good Job Capcom. You lied to Mega Man fans once again.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby Gonzo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:24 pm

Learned about this a while ago. Part of me wonders if Eclipse were being truthful about their intentions and then Capcom tossed it all out and went down the emulator route. It's certainly in the latter's nature to be lazy.

Whatever the case, this is...lame. Supremely, unambiguously lame. Practically consumer fraud, or maybe even literally.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:46 pm

Gonzo wrote:Learned about this a while ago. Part of me wonders if Eclipse were being truthful about their intentions and then Capcom tossed it all out and went down the emulator route. It's certainly in the latter's nature to be lazy.

Whatever the case, this is...lame. Supremely, unambiguously lame. Practically consumer fraud, or maybe even literally.

Do we have links of all the promises they made?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Gonzo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:08 pm

Here's where it was said to be ported from scratch, I think.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!