The Obscure Mega Man Characters thread

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: The Obscure Mega Man Characters thread

Postby El Veinte » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:03 pm

I thought I had, but I don't think I ever read the first post in this thread. I assumed it was the same topic as another thread about W. Waltz I guess.

Spectre, you probably couldn't find much on her because Piano is actually a character from the doujin PC game Rockmen R: Dr. Wily no Gyakushuu, not a character by Ariga. I believe it was the only fan-made game that Capcom Japan cease & desisted because maker Capricorn was selling it online. Maybe Ariga had a Piano too, but this is the only "official-ish" girl I'm familiar with. There have been tons of fan-made "Forte's little sister" characters, though, so the name Piano is popular for that.

More there:
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Rockmen_R ... nterattack
El Veinte
BumbleFan

Postby EvilEddie » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:13 pm

Capricorn's logo was even straight up a copy of the Capcom logo same font and coloring, so the C&D was kinda warranted since it was pretty obvious they were trying to trick consumers. (Not to mention it had some REALLY wretched level design)

Others fan games/clones at least don't flat out use the Mega Man property or are freeware.

But back on topic, yeah there have been countless Piano's throughout the ages it's pretty much the first thing fans go to when they want to give Bass more supporting characters.

On the subject of the thread it occurs to me Reggae is kinda an obscure character since his appearance in the main stream games is limited to showing up on a wrong password screen and being a shop keeper for Bass in 10. He's pretty much always been an ancillary licensed material character since he first showed up in Rock Board so not a lot of people know about him.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:55 am

So I managed to get in touch with Hitoshi Ariga, and he informed me that he did actually create a character called Piano, but she only appears in a bonus manga for Mega Man Megamix 2 or some such.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Tcat » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Any idea what issue/volume/whatever? At this point I can't keep the names of the mangas separate. e_e
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:58 pm

http://kobun20.interordi.com/ - You may wanna ask this guy on his blog. There are multiple versions of the Megamix, each very slightly different than the other.

Edit:
oh, here we go!
http://purplepaprika.tumblr.com/post/11 ... ntly-ariga

Wow, this is actually a really cool blog.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby lalalei2001 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:18 am

That is neat! I wonder what her color scheme would be.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Spin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:30 am

Wonder if her name would be changed to Soprano in English. Piano doesn't flow with Bass like it does with Forte.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:44 pm

So...anyone find out which Megamix? I don't go on Tumblr due to the lack of regulations-had too many searches for material I'm interested in lead me to garbage.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Tcat » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:08 am

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:had too many searches for material I'm interested in lead me to garbage.

How are you still on the internet then? :P

Looks like its the reprints of the Megamix that came out not too long ago. Bonus material they put in later and whatnot.
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:30 am

Tcat wrote:
Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:had too many searches for material I'm interested in lead me to garbage.

How are you still on the internet then? :P

Looks like its the reprints of the Megamix that came out not too long ago. Bonus material they put in later and whatnot.

I've learned to be cautious, and when I come across a site where that sort of stuff occurs...I don't go on it anymore, or at the very least avoid topics or sections where I know it's going to crop up. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Well, it's no in the 2010 edition, unless my library has older ones and listed them as the newer ones.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Spin » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:10 pm

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:I don't go on Tumblr due to the lack of regulations-had too many searches for material I'm interested in lead me to garbage.

The contents of the Tumblr in question.

Spoiler: show
purplepaprika wrote:Apparently Ariga Hitoshi, author of the Megamix/Gigamix series, had an OC named “Piano” he was intending to put in his manga. She was supposed to be a counterpart? Of Roll whose job was to control &keep watch on Bass(Piano is the opposite of Forte, Bass’s JP name). She does not have any weapons or combat ability, but have gadgets to do stuff; she seems to talk like a robot (haha), polite but flat with no tone or emotion.

What’s interesting is the reason she was scrapped. Piano was supposed to be a narrator-type character who explained the plot to the character and reader. Because each story is a yomikiri (one-shot), Ariga felt uncomfortable to give her the spotlight when there are so many other characters he should draw. He wanted focus more on the characters actually in the game and give them in depth characterization. It was also more natural for Bass, Megaman, etc. talking and dealing with stuff then have a new unfamiliar original character do so. He commented that if his comic was a monthly one he may have included her as a “guest” for one of the stories, but he just didn’t have the reason and space to include her in the series.

I’m actually happy that he didn’t include her, because as he said it would be difficult to include her without giving her too much focus in such a short series (although I wonder how it would have been like). I really like the fact he chose to create his own stories with almost only what was in the games; it really shows how much he loves the Megaman series itself.

purplepaprika wrote:He also talks about the hardship of writing one-shots, the story behind introducing Bass with the MM5 squad, why he made copy mega man like that, etc. It’s pretty short, but you can feel the struggle and thought he put in to make the manga.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Uwaaii » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:09 am

Spin wrote:The contents of the Tumblr in question.

purplepaprika wrote:Apparently Ariga Hitoshi, author of the Megamix/Gigamix series, had an OC named “Piano” he was intending to put in his manga. She was supposed to be a counterpart? Of Roll whose job was to control &keep watch on Bass(Piano is the opposite of Forte, Bass’s JP name). She does not have any weapons or combat ability, but have gadgets to do stuff; she seems to talk like a robot (haha), polite but flat with no tone or emotion.

What’s interesting is the reason she was scrapped. Piano was supposed to be a narrator-type character who explained the plot to the character and reader. Because each story is a yomikiri (one-shot), Ariga felt uncomfortable to give her the spotlight when there are so many other characters he should draw. He wanted focus more on the characters actually in the game and give them in depth characterization. It was also more natural for Bass, Megaman, etc. talking and dealing with stuff then have a new unfamiliar original character do so. He commented that if his comic was a monthly one he may have included her as a “guest” for one of the stories, but he just didn’t have the reason and space to include her in the series.

I’m actually happy that he didn’t include her, because as he said it would be difficult to include her without giving her too much focus in such a short series (although I wonder how it would have been like). I really like the fact he chose to create his own stories with almost only what was in the games; it really shows how much he loves the Megaman series itself.

purplepaprika wrote:He also talks about the hardship of writing one-shots, the story behind introducing Bass with the MM5 squad, why he made copy mega man like that, etc. It’s pretty short, but you can feel the struggle and thought he put in to make the manga.

You forgot this part too:
purplepaprika wrote:It’s on the newer reprinted version of Megaman Megamix. There is this “behind the scene/making of Megamix 2015 version” section on the back

It’s nice to see people take interest in her. She’s most likely from the newest version that’s reprinting (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2015/1 ... ng-reprint). No wonder there’s no information.

It would be nice if Archie can either include her, which is unlikely, or at least create a character with a similar role as her. Not saying they should copy, but it sounds like a good idea for Wily to have an assistant robot of some sort. She could be something like a rival for Roll, fulfill the “disguise as human to do work for Wily” mentioned in another post, and maybe allow some development in Bass.

Oh yeah, I already asked Spectre on this but do you guys think the coloring for the sprite on my sig is OK? The sprite is small and difficult to see but I‘m terrible with colors and I want to make sure she doesn't look too off.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:31 pm

Uwaaii wrote:
Spin wrote:The contents of the Tumblr in question.

You forgot this part too:
purplepaprika wrote:It’s on the newer reprinted version of Megaman Megamix. There is this “behind the scene/making of Megamix 2015 version” section on the back

It’s nice to see people take interest in her. She’s most likely from the newest version that’s reprinting (http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2015/1 ... ng-reprint). No wonder there’s no information.

It would be nice if Archie can either include her, which is unlikely, or at least create a character with a similar role as her. Not saying they should copy, but it sounds like a good idea for Wily to have an assistant robot of some sort. She could be something like a rival for Roll, fulfill the “disguise as human to do work for Wily” mentioned in another post, and maybe allow some development in Bass.

Oh yeah, I already asked Spectre on this but do you guys think the coloring for the sprite on my sig is OK? The sprite is small and difficult to see but I‘m terrible with colors and I want to make sure she doesn't look too off.

Thanks for the posts guys-I'm glad to finally get a look at the official artwork. She does look like a neat character, and it's a pity she didn't see more use. As for her being included in Archie, I was actually going to ask Ian what the limitations are so far as what they can and cannot use from various branches of the franchise. When I contacted Hitoshi Ariga he revealed that he couldn't really share anything with me because of those rereleases that are coming out, which makes it seem likely that Capcom or the manga company owns the rights to her. I like the idea of her being built by Wily but ending up with more of a loyalty to Bass.

Uwaii's already heard it from me, but I quite like her color scheme for Piano.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:54 pm

Uwaaii wrote:It would be nice if Archie can either include her, which is unlikely, or at least create a character with a similar role as her. Not saying they should copy, but it sounds like a good idea for Wily to have an assistant robot of some sort. She could be something like a rival for Roll, fulfill the “disguise as human to do work for Wily” mentioned in another post, and maybe allow some development in Bass.

Isn't that W. Waltz? If so, Archie could elect to use her (and I fully expected them too after introducing Madamme Y; W.W. is the main focus of the art, not Y, after all).
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:57 pm

Spin wrote:Wonder if her name would be changed to Soprano in English. Piano doesn't flow with Bass like it does with Forte.

A neat idea Spin; although I think a fun approach would be to rename her Alto, so you get the contrast of the higher feminine voice with the lower male voice.

Gauntlet101010 wrote:
Uwaaii wrote:It would be nice if Archie can either include her, which is unlikely, or at least create a character with a similar role as her. Not saying they should copy, but it sounds like a good idea for Wily to have an assistant robot of some sort. She could be something like a rival for Roll, fulfill the “disguise as human to do work for Wily” mentioned in another post, and maybe allow some development in Bass.

Isn't that W. Waltz? If so, Archie could elect to use her (and I fully expected them too after introducing Madamme Y; W.W. is the main focus of the art, not Y, after all).

Waltz was used as an assistant for Wily in the Dreamwave Comic, which is the only series so far to use her. As for how you could work Waltz and Piano both into the comic (spoilered just in case Ian can actually use one or both of them):

Waltz could be Wily's "around-the-lab" assistant, possibly occasionally taking on Roll as seen in the original art in which she appears. As for Piano, I could see her following Bass around and monitoring him on Wily's behalf, but perhaps growing more loyal to Bass as time goes by. I think it'd be interesting to play a rivalry between Waltz and Roll, with another possible one developing between Piano and Tempo/Quake Woman.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!