The Obscure Mega Man Characters thread

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: The Obscure Mega Man Characters thread

Postby lalalei2001 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:04 pm

Roll was SUPER powerful in an obscure cell phone release of Mega Man 1. She had a chargeable buster that could only hold 5 shots, but could take down the Yellow Devil with it like it was nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTmKICtBx58
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Bean » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:04 pm

It's interesting with Roll that she was going to be a second player like Luigi in Mega Man 2, but it never came to be, and Capcom never thought of making her Roll Woman or whatever. Could've been neat.

I want to know who Mega Man stopped in that bank robbery in the Mega Man 8 ending cutscene where Duo's looking into his past. Dude looked like a bird of some sorts, but I don't think that was Jupiter.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mordum » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:59 pm

Tcat wrote:
Mordum wrote:So what's this guy's deal? I LOVE weird one off tie-in media characters like this. Is he just X or is there something else about him?

The Megaman Wiki can probably do a better job than I can explaining it since most of what I "know" about the guy comes from RPs I've been in. http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Return_X

TL;DR - He's a viral Reploid that looks similar X (kind of an alter ego) thanks to the Limited Virus running around.

This is lovely and he's now my favorite character ever.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Antiyonder » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:28 pm

Is there a source (like from the creators of Mega Man 2) that Roll was suppose to be playable in the second NES game?

Anyway, Garbage Man is another one from the Captain N.
Spoiler: show
Heck, he could easily be integrated as a sanitation bot who for comedic effect will come close to throw away something not meant to be tossed out.

There's also some robots from Upon a Star (the Japanese education OVA):
- Samurai Man
- Lava Men (Originally titled Magma Men before the 9th Classic Series game came out)
- Oni Man

Plus Yuta and Akane.
Spoiler: show
As another poster I believe suggested a while back, they could probably serve as regular peers for Rock and Roll much like Kalinka. Basically meaning that they are residents of the same world rather than the "Real World" as in the OVA.
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

Postby Tcat » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:06 pm

Mordum wrote:This is lovely and he's now my favorite character ever.

X3 *eee*
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby TurboTailz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:11 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:Roll was SUPER powerful in an obscure cell phone release of Mega Man 1. She had a chargeable buster that could only hold 5 shots, but could take down the Yellow Devil with it like it was nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTmKICtBx58

That's pretty neat.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Bean » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Antiyonder wrote:Is there a source (like from the creators of Mega Man 2) that Roll was suppose to be playable in the second NES game?

It's in the 20th Anniversary Complete Works art book for it, so yes, it's from the creators themselves.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby Pi.exe » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:01 am

There were over a hundred throwaway robot masters in gigamix.

I personally liked cometman's design.
Pi.exe
BumbleNewbie

Postby lalalei2001 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:46 am

No one has any love for Worm Man. (He was a design that didn't make the cut.)
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:44 am

Regarding Roll in Marvel vs. Capcom, I think I recall reading that she was using Mega Man's old Buster -- the non-charging model -- that she kept on her and had to put on manually, making it a little slower?

I don't recall if that was ever an official thing or not, though.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby ReifuTD » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:04 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Regarding Roll in Marvel vs. Capcom, I think I recall reading that she was using Mega Man's old Buster -- the non-charging model -- that she kept on her and had to put on manually, making it a little slower?

I don't recall if that was ever an official thing or not, though.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Well that's kind of what Light did for himself in When Worlds Collide so I guess the weapon is around.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby El Veinte » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:54 am

Bean wrote:
Antiyonder wrote:Is there a source (like from the creators of Mega Man 2) that Roll was suppose to be playable in the second NES game?

It's in the 20th Anniversary Complete Works art book for it, so yes, it's from the creators themselves.

Unfortunately that is not correct, it does not say that anywhere in that book. Nor did they address it at they Rockman 20th Anniversary event in Japan. The playable Roll in Mega Man 2 has been a persistent rumor that to my knowledge has never been sourced properly (though it keeps appearing on Mega Man Wiki pages anyway). It is either from a very obscure interview from the 90s that no one has since found or been able to produce or verify, or it was just made up and won't go away because it seems plausible even without any evidence to show for it. Would be a nice thing for game journalists to ask Inafune the next time they recruit fan questions.
El Veinte
BumbleFan

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:57 am

Tcat wrote:The only thing I could find mentioning Piano was from some weird, unofficial PC game o_0 http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Rockmen_R ... nterattack

Yeah, this is apparently a different thing. Uwaaii has Rhythm for an Avatar and a sig that includes Waltz and Megamix Piano.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Bean » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:19 pm

El Veinte wrote:Unfortunately that is not correct, it does not say that anywhere in that book. Nor did they address it at they Rockman 20th Anniversary event in Japan. The playable Roll in Mega Man 2 has been a persistent rumor that to my knowledge has never been sourced properly (though it keeps appearing on Mega Man Wiki pages anyway). It is either from a very obscure interview from the 90s that no one has since found or been able to produce or verify, or it was just made up and won't go away because it seems plausible even without any evidence to show for it. Would be a nice thing for game journalists to ask Inafune the next time they recruit fan questions.

I'll find it eventually as I know I've read a line like that before in some interview, but it wasn't in the book where I thought it was. Well, if I don't say anything, then I haven't found it.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:25 pm

Does Piano even count as an "obscure character" if she was never seen or used? If so then it might be time to crack open R20 and see what my favourite design might be.

I'm leaning toward's "Smoke man" (I think the name was Smokeman; he was one of the alternate Heatmen and was smoking a cigarette).
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!