MM#49 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

MM#49 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri May 15, 2015 1:27 pm

I'm seeing that some folks have this, so up goes the thread.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Re: MM#49 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Astrobot7000 » Fri May 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Seems to me like Mr. X might be a time-travelling Xande Payne as an old man. Robotic eye, statements of his youth spent trying to destroy robotics with force, etc. If its true, thats pretty cool. Didn't see that one coming.

The rest of the issue is great too! I love Ian's approach to the Robot Museum. Mega Man has truly become a great book and its by far and above Ian's best book.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby TheFatPanda » Fri May 15, 2015 6:47 pm

Isn't "Mr. X" a future Dr. Wily in the games?
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby SonicSoul » Fri May 15, 2015 6:56 pm

Well not exactly 'future' Wily, just regular ol' Wily in a disguise.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat May 16, 2015 1:04 am

A lot of fan fiction made Mr. X a separate character who was either kidnapped or killed so Wily could use him as a disguise.

I mean, he hosted a worldwide robot tournament, something had to be on the level there.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Tahtorak » Sat May 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:Seems to me like Mr. X might be a time-travelling Xande Payne as an old man. Robotic eye, statements of his youth spent trying to destroy robotics with force, etc. If its true, thats pretty cool. Didn't see that one coming.

The rest of the issue is great too! I love Ian's approach to the Robot Museum. Mega Man has truly become a great book and its by far and above Ian's best book.

That WOULD explain how Wily learned about the time skimmer (back in issue 20). Xander Payne used the Time Skimmer himself (back in issue 37), so if Mr. X is really Xander Payne like you hypothesize, he might tell Dr. Wily about it.
Tahtorak
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Sat May 16, 2015 9:30 pm

I really hope that Mr. X either isn't Xander Payne or he's way, way more entertaining. I haven't read the issue yet, so I'm restraining from commenting, but that would be a pretty big disappointment.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby BenedictAndroid » Sun May 17, 2015 8:58 pm

I'm actually pretty X-cited for Mr. X really being Xander. Xander is quickly becoming one of my favorite Mega Man adversaries across all of Mega-media. He's also becoming one of the most dangerous of Mega Man's Rogues Gallery, as he has created two organizations to stop robot-kind. Xander has seen the future and is trying to change it by any means. Seeing as how Mr. X is forcing Wily into his organization, it's probably safe to assume that he's partially responsible for the construction of the Fifth Numbers. Not to mention, if Mr. X came back from the future, that means he has some means of time travel, probably the Time Skimmer from the future. I'm also guessing he either took part in the scheming of Worlds Unite event, or simply witnessed it as Xander, since he didn't seem fazed when Sigma just shows up and kidnaps Wily. Conspiracy? Probably.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the moon...

This issue really hits home with me. Ignoring all of the Mr. X/Wily stuff, the whole Robot Master reunion was something I truly enjoyed. Ian did a great job presenting the conflict at hand. Most of the Robot Masters, despite being built for war, had decent industrial functions. But what of those that didn't? Like it said in the comic, some of them were too experimental or too specialized. Quick Man was strong in his decision to be shut down, and even convinced some of his brother to join. Quick Man really got to Mega Man, kinda like that kid on the playground that is able to disprove every argument you throw at them. He may not be able to beat Mega Man in battle, but he beat him down emotionally. Quick Man finally got the best of Mega Man.

I really enjoyed this issue and can't wait until the story continues. Until then, we have an amazing crossover to look forward to.
BenedictAndroid
BumbleNewbie

Postby TurboTailz » Mon May 18, 2015 7:40 am

BenedictAndroid wrote:I'm actually pretty X-cited for Mr. X really being Xander. Xander is quickly becoming one of my favorite Mega Man adversaries across all of Mega-media. He's also becoming one of the most dangerous of Mega Man's Rogues Gallery, as he has created two organizations to stop robot-kind. Xander has seen the future and is trying to change it by any means. Seeing as how Mr. X is forcing Wily into his organization, it's probably safe to assume that he's partially responsible for the construction of the Fifth Numbers. Not to mention, if Mr. X came back from the future, that means he has some means of time travel, probably the Time Skimmer from the future. I'm also guessing he either took part in the scheming of Worlds Unite event, or simply witnessed it as Xander, since he didn't seem fazed when Sigma just shows up and kidnaps Wily. Conspiracy? Probably.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the moon...

This issue really hits home with me. Ignoring all of the Mr. X/Wily stuff, the whole Robot Master reunion was something I truly enjoyed. Ian did a great job presenting the conflict at hand. Most of the Robot Masters, despite being built for war, had decent industrial functions. But what of those that didn't? Like it said in the comic, some of them were too experimental or too specialized. Quick Man was strong in his decision to be shut down, and even convinced some of his brother to join. Quick Man really got to Mega Man, kinda like that kid on the playground that is able to disprove every argument you throw at them. He may not be able to beat Mega Man in battle, but he beat him down emotionally. Quick Man finally got the best of Mega Man.

I really enjoyed this issue and can't wait until the story continues. Until then, we have an amazing crossover to look forward to.

Same here because people would think everything would be like a wonderful ending and such. However this issue hits reality saying that not everything will go your way. If you truly want me then you've to restore me fully. Even if they were able to find away to make them Dr.Light works I still believe they would come to the same result. Speaking of which can't Mega Man absorb their power while they're offline if Dr.Light puts them back? It'll be mega support for Mega Man.
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble

Postby Astrobot7000 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:18 am

Penguin God wrote:I really hope that Mr. X either isn't Xander Payne or he's way, way more entertaining. I haven't read the issue yet, so I'm restraining from commenting, but that would be a pretty big disappointment.

I think Mr. X being Xander Payne would be a great twist, be a lot of fun, and help expand the non-Wily rogues gallery. All Wily all the time is not a good thing. The real question is, if Xander Payne is Mr. X, how did he make a massive fortune to run an entire multi-national company? Maybe future knowledge of the stock market?
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby ShadowBat20 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:07 am

If Xander is Mr. X...I'd be kinda torn. On the one hand, that's a great twist that I never saw coming, and an older Xander could be interesting. On the other hand, having Mr. X being neither Xander or Dr. Wily adds another villain to the mix...I dunnno, gonna have towait this one out and see how it goes.
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby SonicSoul » Mon May 18, 2015 12:15 pm

I don't have a copy yet so I'm not one to judge, but I'm kind of torn between feeling unsure how to react and just being flat-out unimpressed that it's being called a "twist." Feeling unsure mostly stems from me not having the issue yet itself so I can't see for myself how it's being set-up. Being unimpressed makes me think just because these two characters have the letter "X" in their names doesn't make it shocking for the reader to figure out as quickly as the rest of the characters.

But like I said, I'll wait and see until I read it for myself to better understand the situation.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Astrobot7000 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:58 pm

To be very clear here, we do not have confirmation that Mr. X is Sander Payne. We only have the following clues:

1. He has a robotic eye.

2. He says the following, "In my youth I though I could stop the robotic menace by openly fighting it. I was sure humanity would rally to my heroic call. But I've SEEN the future Dr. Wily. Humanity embraces the synthetic way of life and it leads to... such horrors."

3. He states that his motiviations are to use Wily to force the world into action through shock and the terror of the ultimate robotic menace. He wants to use Wily for those purposes. He also calls Wily a monster.

All this certainly points to Mr. X being Xander to me.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Mon May 18, 2015 2:44 pm

Okay, based on that, it's funny how Xander, even if he's a future version, is just now confronting Wily about being a "monster" since this was the guy who reprogrammed the Light Numbers to do his bidding, and keep in mind he made it aware to the public at the time that it's his doing, so the LNS can't be solely blamed for their actions, and one of those LNS just so happened to take out his eye. Congrats Xander, you're finally pointing your finger at the right person for your misfortune (though personally it was still your fault for engaging Elec Man) this time. And it took you exactly how long again? *Slowly claps*

Yeah, my growing dislike for Xander as an antagonist is really subtle, I know.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Mon May 18, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Penguin God » Mon May 18, 2015 3:49 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:I think Mr. X being Xander Payne would be a great twist, be a lot of fun, and help expand the non-Wily rogues gallery. All Wily all the time is not a good thing. The real question is, if Xander Payne is Mr. X, how did he make a massive fortune to run an entire multi-national company? Maybe future knowledge of the stock market?

So far if it hasn't been Wily, it's been Xander over and over. Xander's not that interesting, so him being Mr. X feels like a waste of potential. Again though, haven't read the issue, so that's all I can say.
Last edited by Penguin God on Mon May 18, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!