Mega Man #48 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #48 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Uwaaii » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:32 pm

Spoiler: show

Looks like Ms. W/Y changed her job from secretary to secret agent. Not sure why they decided to change her from W to Y tho.
In the original, Ms. W (and Waltz) seemed to be directly working for Dr. Wily so let's see how Archie's gonna play it.

BTW for anyone who cares, the only image of Dreamwave Waltz I could find online were these:
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Isn't it obvious? She's affiliated with Mr. X now (who could be an original character, or could be a much more convoluted disguise for Wily than even the games implied)

Which makes me wonder: In issue 38, Wily, who is patched up from a recent injury, meets a mysterious voice who claims to have known him for a long time. There are a few possibilities for this

1.) It's Mr X, who has been looking at Wily and wanted to solicit his services
2.) It's Sigma, who knew about Wily because of Zero Virus shenanigans and wanted to get him to make a body for him
3.) It's Mr. X, but instead...
It's future Wily who time traveled and is coming back into this point in time to pass on the Mr. X plan to his past self or something
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Uwaaii » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:59 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:Isn't it obvious? She's affiliated with Mr. X now (who could be an original character, or could be a much more convoluted disguise for Wily than even the games implied)

I sort of meant Why Archie bothered to make her change from W-->Y.
They could have kept her on Wily's side like the original instead of siding her with the newly introduced villains.

Another thing was Where the letter Y came from. If she's working for MR. "X", shouldn't she have an X?
Her original counterpart had a W on her chest because she was with "W"ily, and in the comic the other members of the group all have X's on them.
Just got me confused like, wait is that her name? she puts her own initials on her chest? Isn't that a little awkward? is there a Z?

Mavrickindigo wrote:Which makes me wonder: In issue 38, Wily, who is patched up from a recent injury, meets a mysterious voice who claims to have known him for a long time. There are a few possibilities for this

1.) It's Mr X, who has been looking at Wily and wanted to solicit his services
2.) It's Sigma, who knew about Wily because of Zero Virus shenanigans and wanted to get him to make a body for him
3.) It's Mr. X, but instead...
It's future Wily who time traveled and is coming back into this point in time to pass on the Mr. X plan to his past self or something

If Mr X IS an original character, I have a feeling it will be the guy above Ms.W/Y in the Ishikawa art, whom I think is supposed to be a redesigned Wily.
Because then it will be easier for Wily to disguise himself as him.

I don't know about the Sigma one, but I like #3 because it can possibly explain how he got Quint.
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:53 pm

I figured "Y" was indicative of her being second to Mr. X...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Archdeco » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:19 am

Getting a big "shocker" vibe from those grunts.

Archdeco
BumbleFan

Postby El Veinte » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:40 am

So much Racer X.

Enjoyed the issue, pleased by the use of Ms. Y and the possibility that Mr. X will be a real villain, makes the world they live in that much larger. Wily does get up to some no good, but if murder for power is too dark, it probably wouldn't be too hard to simply usurp X's position. Mr. X may be a shadowy figure and perhaps as the earlier comics showed, nobody really knows what he looks like because he parties like Keyser Söze. If Ms. Y is a robot and the acting voice of Mr. X to his subordinates, Wily can probably reprogram her and with her support and a cheesy costume become the new Dread Captain Roberts without anyone else even knowing the difference. Or, if Mr. X was an old man who wants his brain put in a robot body but happens to die before that can be done, well, we could hardly blame Wily for taking over his criminal empire in his place, right? Even yet, maybe Mr. X wants Wily to impersonate him as a way to eliminate himself from police suspicion. So may creative possibilities.

Liked that there was a lot of dodging punches and giant climbing that rivaled Shadow of the Colossus. And Light's family talk was good closure to the story arc.

Qualms with the presentation of the climax have been covered, a shame if the art and the script didn't line up. Sometimes I wish we could read more of the scripts, might be time to shovel some into the graphic novel again. Aside from that, and some very awkward art poses, there's other action oddities as well. For example, there's one panel where Mega Man uses Air Shooter and we can't see what he's aiming for or what effect the tornadoes had or any kind of reaction to this action, the next panel just seems to ignore that it happened at all. Little odd things that don't flow or add anything.

Logically I'm not sure it was presented very well why Gamma was considered destroyed. Wily didn't fear the castle's coming down on Gamma at all in the beginning, as Gamma was nigh indestructible. And with all Light's talk of how Gamma is built to last any disaster it seemed like even with no power reactor that much of Gamma's body should have been survived the fall and the rubble and that much of the body and framework would be recoverable. Internal chain explosions, maybe?

Enjoyed that Break Man's appearance dialogue taken from the game. It was kind of hard to tell from the context why at a glance he seemed to know where Wily was, but didn't lift a finger to help him. The Mr. X goons made it sound like Wily's injuries weren't even all that severe, so maybe he didn't really see Wily but rather just saw the rubble and assumed what had happened. However, the phrasing made it sound like he did see Wily there, and was making an assessment on his medical condition that he could not be saved. Mega Man seemed to come to the same conclusion after only watching it happen. It seemed cold of him to not even try to help Wily, a human whom he acknowledges he owes a life debt to. Even if only to recover the body for a proper burial that only Light and a bunch of robots would attend, out of respect for the insane dead. I'm going to assume that he had to make decisions fast because the entire place could have come down or been rocked by explosions at any moment, that's kind of the context I assumed from the games at least, but even though there was some fire and smoke smoldering off in the background, there didn't feel like a lot of urgency to it otherwise. Looking at the aftermath in the final page, it didn't seem like the castle sustained any further damage though. Maybe they're both just eager after everything that happened to see the game's subtitle "End of Dr. Wily!?" be fulfilled.

Ian Flynn wrote:2) Dr. Light never intended for it to be a jaw. Gamma had a very tiny head and a very large piece of chest armor protecting the Energy Elements. Only once Dr. Wily slapped down the control cap did Gamma look like he had a Guts Man-styled jaw.

This I don't agree with, though it may be word of god for the comics' story it doesn't add up with what is actually shown in them. I believe as far as the games go, that the blue head is like the brain and the base it rests on as well as the domed spike helmet should have served as an outer face and as protection for that brain. I was on board with Wily letting Mega Man destroy the brain so he could take full control. Issue 45 has Dr. Light holding a full body image of Gamma showing the helmet and outer eyes illuminated as if he designed it to be that way. Because of that I had thought Wily was reworking the helmet piece that had already been designed to allow him to control Gamma personally instead. Dr. Light couldn't have known about the helmet and outer eyes or imagined Gamma's rampage that way if Wily had designed them after his betrayal. Perhaps those are what Ian is calling the early art mistakes, but it makes more sense than the alternative. If Wily was so cramped for time that he couldn't even add the energy beam fire that Gamma does in the games, why did he take the time to install light-up eyes on something that was designed to be part of a chestpiece? Why did Light put a tiny head on a giant body with two sets of pecs and a thing between that looks like a mouth but isn't a mouth? Please reconsider.
El Veinte
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:12 am

Uwaaii wrote:Another thing was Where the letter Y came from. If she's working for MR. "X", shouldn't she have an X?

Math
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Uwaaii » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:40 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I figured "Y" was indicative of her being second to Mr. X...
--LBD "Nytetrayn"

That makes sense, but won't that mean the X guys would be first to Mr.X/higher in rank than Y?
The leader is X and the lower ranks are all X’s so I thought it would be logical if she was an X too, if you understand what I mean.
I would agree on the Y being second if there are Y guys working under her (and maybe Z guys working under Mr/Ms. Z), but she's the only Y out of all the X's for now.
They are just being introduced, so let's see what will happen.

Mavrickindigo wrote:Math

PLease NO math
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby Bean » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:40 pm

Got the issue in the mail today with a totally bent corner, but that's more of a story for how much of a hurry the mailman was in today. Anyhoo, yeah, this issue did good stuff. The fight between Gamma and Mega Man was given the time and engagement that were my biggest complaints about the previous issue's battles. It made sense that it all came down to Mega Man finally recognizing Gamma's one weakness and searching for its weak spot with the one weapon that would work.

I also liked seeing the ending of Mega Man 3 play out like it does, too, with Proto Man teleporting in and seeing the aftermath, delivering the line, then doing the trademark whistle to start the ending. I could hear that in my head when I read that part. Great arc, and definitely the best of the numbered game ones to this point without a doubt.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Archdeco wrote:Getting a big "shocker" vibe from those grunts.

...oh, thank God...

Uwaaii wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I figured "Y" was indicative of her being second to Mr. X...
--LBD "Nytetrayn"

That makes sense, but won't that mean the X guys would be first to Mr.X/higher in rank than Y?
The leader is X and the lower ranks are all X’s so I thought it would be logical if she was an X too, if you understand what I mean.
I would agree on the Y being second if there are Y guys working under her (and maybe Z guys working under Mr/Ms. Z), but she's the only Y out of all the X's for now.
They are just being introduced, so let's see what will happen.

Yeah, I considered that. Without any further context, Z's would make more sense, but I figure maybe they're just wearing the mark of their master-- an extension of his will, as it were, while Y is actually significant enough to warrant distinction.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Zan » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:44 am

The overall issue was quite nice, albeit imperfect (No Top Spin use???). Excited about the teaser at the end.

Did anyone notice that it first collaborates then contradicts the flashforwards from issue 20 and 38?

-"Wah-ha-ha! Thomas did such an excellent job of imprinting his naivety into you! You've had your minor victories, but you cannot stand against the power of Gamma" Adds up, even if Rock's position in the battle changed.

-"You've gotten in my for the last time!" versus "You've gotten away from the last time!" Gamma attempts to crush him with the other hand, and Rock was noticeably more distressed than he is now.

It does appear that Wily met Mr. X on that same page, given his injuries.

there's one panel where Mega Man uses Air Shooter and we can't see what he's aiming for or what effect the tornadoes had or any kind of reaction to this action, the next panel just seems to ignore that it happened at all.

I think Rock might have tried using the strong winds of the Air Shooter to push himself to safety.

If Wily was so cramped for time that he couldn't even add the energy beam fire that Gamma does in the games, why did he take the time to install light-up eyes on something that was designed to be part of a chestpiece? Why did Light put a tiny head on a giant body with two sets of pecs and a thing between that looks like a mouth but isn't a mouth? Please reconsider.

I agree. More care was required for this particular aspect of the story. Either the circumstances weren't thought out too well, the art confused it, or both.

Issue 45 implies only minor alterations to the helmet, turning a giant forehead gem into a cockpit. Furthermore, issue 36 more than proved the ineffectiveness of Gamma's 'jaw' protecting the Energy Elements.

The location of the Energy Elements doesn't bother me - after all, the game does show 'something' inside - but one has to wonder why Wily didn't try cover up this major flaw. I can only assume he had previously tightened the bolts to prevent easy access, which worked like a charm until Hard Knuckle unhinged the jaw... but then Search Snake wouldn't be quite as necessary anymore, right? Rock can openly shoot the Energy Elements at that point. Perhaps it would've been better if Search Snake would have been used to find the hidden weakness while Rock was being crushed, damaging the inside BEFORE tearing through Gamma's 'invincible' defense with brute force?
Zan
BumbleFan

Postby Archdeco » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:08 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
...oh, thank God...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

It was a perfectly innocent sentence.
Archdeco
BumbleFan

Postby Uwaaii » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:04 pm

I didn’t pay attention to it when I read it the first time, but when Megaman uses the Time Stopper, Rush is still moving.
I guess it doesn't take effect on anything the user is touching when it's activated?
Cuz that would be something really cool to see in future issues (if there IS a chance to use it)

Another thing that I noticed was near the end where Light was like “Now I understand I was wrong let’s wait for him”;
I was happy at first, because hurray they sort of understand each other happy ending, but now I'm starting to feel they shouldn't have solved their misunderstanding this early
because I don’t really see a reason for Protoman to keep disliking/resisting Light anymore.

Talking of Protoman, when is he gonna take off that mask thing? Can he even take that thing off??
Uwaaii
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:47 am

Archdeco wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
...oh, thank God...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

It was a perfectly innocent sentence.

It was more that there was a spoiler tag accompanying it, and that's all I wish to say on the matter. ;P

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:08 am

Personally I liked this issue, although I'm not fan of the art. I don't know, it's just not working for me.

Cliffhanger is pretty cool, it's good to know that....
lalalei2001 wrote:I'm guessing you mean the brown-haired lady from this picture? (I think Waltz is off-limits.) Or maybe the blonde lady?

http://kobun20.interordi.com/wp-content ... kmanH2.jpg

...Dang it Flynn! Can't you once in your life NOT base your work on someone's else? XD.

But seriously, pretty interesting idea and I'm looking forward to learn more about this organization,
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!