Is Jumping this far ahead into X a bad thing?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Is Jumping this far ahead into X a bad thing?

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:33 am

I'm sure the relevant details will be covered well enough for people to pick up on it. Beyond that, and you'd have to argue you could never bring back a character ever in anything, since there might be some people who don't know who they are, or that you couldn't introduce someone unless it's their origin story.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Kureejii Lea » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:48 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Sunwalker wrote:I always interpreted that Xander was against intelligent and sentient machines, robot masters and reploids to be specific. Regular weaponry does not fit within this category.

Well, he had a meltdown when he was given a mechanical eye.

And the "normal" reaction to waking up in a hospital with a part of your body gone and replaced by a prosthetic you didn't consent to receive is...?
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby GentlemanX » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:42 pm

Here's my problem:

When Worlds Collide came out, I had read the 23 issues of Mega Man. I was aware of some things (Bass) and not aware of others (Duo), but the comics had established Rock, Roll, Rush, Dr. Light, Dr. Wily, and the Wily model Robot Masters. The only things that were different from where the comic was at was 1) Protoman was good (and given his introduction that makes sense to happen eventually), 2) Bass and Treble are things, 3) Duo is a thing, 4) Wily builds more Robot Masters (really? who would have seen that coming?). The only things Worlds Collide had that I knew nothing detailed about were Bass and Duo, and they were both barely in the crossover. Seriously, the two of them had combined like 10 pages of appearances (most without dialogue) in the entire 12 issue story. They were essentially in the same position as the Mega Man Killers.

Now the obvious elephant in the room is that I HAD read Mega Man beforehand, so I don't know what it's like going in completely blind like Sonic fans that weren't reading Mega Man. But my argument is that because Archie had put out the Mega Man comic it justified the crossover. It was structured in a way that both universes had been formally set up with established status quos by Archie Comics and therefore readers should be expected to be familiar with the basic status quos for each. Ergo, the company has provided enough material to support what is seen in the crossover. Bass and Duo are essentially in the same position as Bass and that Quint guy were in Mega Man 20, cameos.

Now compare that to X. Archie Comics has put out six stories that feature that set of characters: The X Factor two parter and the Dawn of X four parter. Both do some degree of setup; I've been introduced to a handful of characters and know, what I assume is, the initial premise at the start of Mega Man X 1. But I don't even have character personalities yet. I know Sigma's going to be a villain from outside material, but I have no idea how or for what reason. I know lots of people love Zero, but so far he hasn't done anything yet. I have absolutely no idea what role Cain's supposed to fill yet. And where am I supposed to look for this information about basic aspects of the series?

Wikis or the games.

There is nothing published by Archie to explain even the status quo of this franchise. Mega Man Classic established more in one issue than X has managed in six.

Look, I'm not saying Worlds Unite will be bad, I'm not even saying Worlds Unite won't go out of its way to alleviate my problems with its premise. What I am saying is that there should be a certain amount of product from Archie in order to justify its use in a crossover. I think a Sonic and Banjo-Kazooie crossover sounds like a lot of fun, that doesn't mean I think Archie should give a Banjo comic a trial run by giving his universe a 12 part crossover with Sonic. That's stupid. I hope everyone can at least see where I'm coming from, even if they don't agree with me.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:54 pm

GentlemanX wrote:Here's my problem:

When Worlds Collide came out, I had read the 23 issues of Mega Man. I was aware of some things (Bass) and not aware of others (Duo), but the comics had established Rock, Roll, Rush, Dr. Light, Dr. Wily, and the Wily model Robot Masters. The only things that were different from where the comic was at was 1) Protoman was good (and given his introduction that makes sense to happen eventually), 2) Bass and Treble are things, 3) Duo is a thing, 4) Wily builds more Robot Masters (really? who would have seen that coming?). The only things Worlds Collide had that I knew nothing detailed about were Bass and Duo, and they were both barely in the crossover. Seriously, the two of them had combined like 10 pages of appearances (most without dialogue) in the entire 12 issue story. They were essentially in the same position as the Mega Man Killers.

Now the obvious elephant in the room is that I HAD read Mega Man beforehand, so I don't know what it's like going in completely blind like Sonic fans that weren't reading Mega Man. But my argument is that because Archie had put out the Mega Man comic it justified the crossover. It was structured in a way that both universes had been formally set up with established status quos by Archie Comics and therefore readers should be expected to be familiar with the basic status quos for each. Ergo, the company has provided enough material to support what is seen in the crossover. Bass and Duo are essentially in the same position as Bass and that Quint guy were in Mega Man 20, cameos.

Now compare that to X. Archie Comics has put out six stories that feature that set of characters: The X Factor two parter and the Dawn of X four parter. Both do some degree of setup; I've been introduced to a handful of characters and know, what I assume is, the initial premise at the start of Mega Man X 1. But I don't even have character personalities yet. I know Sigma's going to be a villain from outside material, but I have no idea how or for what reason. I know lots of people love Zero, but so far he hasn't done anything yet. I have absolutely no idea what role Cain's supposed to fill yet. And where am I supposed to look for this information about basic aspects of the series?

Wikis or the games.

There is nothing published by Archie to explain even the status quo of this franchise. Mega Man Classic established more in one issue than X has managed in six.

Look, I'm not saying Worlds Unite will be bad, I'm not even saying Worlds Unite won't go out of its way to alleviate my problems with its premise. What I am saying is that there should be a certain amount of product from Archie in order to justify its use in a crossover. I think a Sonic and Banjo-Kazooie crossover sounds like a lot of fun, that doesn't mean I think Archie should give a Banjo comic a trial run by giving his universe a 12 part crossover with Sonic. That's stupid. I hope everyone can at least see where I'm coming from, even if they don't agree with me.

Agreed. It's part of the reason I was hoping this would still be fairly early days for X. Their could have been a Maverick with delusions of grandeur or something as a villain with X being trained as a hunter in the process and stepping up as a hero through his portion of the story.

Instead we're just jumping ahead in the timeline and it'll feel like massive whiplash. Especially if they do a "Mega Man X" Ongoing, which it seems like letters pages are hinting at.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:25 pm

SonicBlueRanger wrote:
GentlemanX wrote:Here's my problem:

Wikis or the games.

Agreed. It's part of the reason I was hoping this would still be fairly early days for X. Their could have been a Maverick with delusions of grandeur or something as a villain with X being trained as a hunter in the process and stepping up as a hero through his portion of the story.

Instead we're just jumping ahead in the timeline and it'll feel like massive whiplash. Especially if they do a "Mega Man X" Ongoing, which it seems like letters pages are hinting at.

Exactly the mentality I thought about when I made this thread. Though, I can't expect a Mega Man X comic coming any time soon. They literally have been hinting at an X comic since the very beginning.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:38 pm

Yeah, I figure if there were going to be an X comic in the near future we would have heard about it by now. Not being the hugest fan of the series-or at least not the later games-myself, I'm not that bummed.

My whole view on the jump ahead is that it kind of caters to the long-time Mega Man fanbase (or those, like myself, who got into the series through the comics and have been hungrily absorbing new info ever since). As such, I think they're banking on the fact that most of the people reading the book probably already know that Sigma turns evil and about various other developments. I mean, if we want to point fingers, Worlds Collide had Pharaoh Man and Splash Woman, previously established in Archie Mega Man as hero characters, attacking Sonic and Mega Man's team. If you know about the plotlines for the games they appeared in, you'd know that they do temporarily become foes of Mega Man-but at the time the Archie Mega Man had reached, you wouldn't know that if that's all you knew about the series.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:02 pm

Well, we got a flash forward to Splash Woman attacking Mega Man in issue 20, but yeah, Pharaoh Man would be a total suprrise in WC
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Spin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:02 pm

Don't think the X timeline should have gone this far advance. I think establishing the timeline in the pre-X5 timeline would have been a decent starting point for the crossover. Since it'd properly give us a bit of a taste of the Maverick Hunter support characters. To throw out the third late major Mega Man X main character without X having his own book is a bit much. Bass will one day have his chance to officially appear in the Mega Man comic. Axl's future however is unknown.

Unless Axl pops up from the future of X. Or Vile is from the past of X. I'm also a bit annoyed we got Axl and the original purple Vile.
Spin
BumbleClan

Previous

Return to For Everlasting Peace!