Is Jumping this far ahead into X a bad thing?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Is Jumping this far ahead into X a bad thing?

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:04 am

Thinking of the upcoming crossover, I'm a little annoyed that we're having Sigma in a villanious role this early into the comic. X doesn't even have his own series yet. There's nothing that should indicate in the narrative that Sigma should be a villain. I read someone who wasn't a fan of Mega Man before the comics say that this seems bad to jump all over the place in the narrative, and I agree. Personally, I feel "Worlds Collide" was fine, because it seemed like a one time thing, but if we're going to be having crossovers every other year, why screw up the timeline even more?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Re: Is Jumping this far ahead into X a bad thing?

Postby EvilEddie » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:06 am

Because there's really not a whole lot to make a crossover out of the pre-X1 period of the comic.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:13 am

EvilEddie wrote:Because there's really not a whole lot to make a crossover out of the pre-X1 period of the comic.

Honestly, I'd rather they not include X at all.

If people get into X from this story, then they start a Mega Man X comic, they're going to wonder why Sigma isn't a villain to start out with and wonder where Axl and Signas and Alia are. Alia and Signas don't join that part of the hunters until after X4
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby EvilEddie » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:31 am

And Auto didn't show up until Mega Man 7. Signas and Alia could easily be worked into a comic earlier than normal.

As for Sigma becoming evil maybe they'd actually I dunno explain that if they ever did an X comic.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:36 am

EvilEddie wrote:And Auto didn't show up until Mega Man 7. Signas and Alia could easily be worked into a comic earlier than normal.

As for Sigma becoming evil maybe they'd actually I dunno explain that if they ever did an X comic.

So they will bring signas and Alia in way before X5, which is implied to happen WAAAAY after the original X trilogy where Dr. Cain handled X's missions?

How does that give Alia time to work as a reploid researcher?

Signas specifically steps up after the previous leader steps down over the repliforce incident (MMX4)
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Penguin God » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:10 am

People handled it fine when Mega Man did it in Collide. Bass and Duo (Signas and Alia and Axl) still haven't shown up, and Proto Man still isn't Mega Man's friend (Sigma being evil). All those Robot Masters are still unseen (any Mavericks). Why do you assume this time it's all a disaster when it had essentially no negative consequences the first time?
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Sunwalker » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:36 am

I think that the X side of the crossover happens sometime after X5, or even X8. Pretty much like in the previous crossover the classic timeline was shifted to after Mega Man 10.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:25 am

Penguin God wrote:People handled it fine when Mega Man did it in Collide. Bass and Duo (Signas and Alia and Axl) still haven't shown up, and Proto Man still isn't Mega Man's friend (Sigma being evil). All those Robot Masters are still unseen (any Mavericks). Why do you assume this time it's all a disaster when it had essentially no negative consequences the first time?

X is a much more story and character driven story than Classic is. Every new classic game is basically "Wily has a new scheme, stop him!"

In X, especially later X, things are a bit more closely knit, I feel.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:32 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
EvilEddie wrote:And Auto didn't show up until Mega Man 7. Signas and Alia could easily be worked into a comic earlier than normal.

So they will bring signas and Alia in way before X5, which is implied to happen WAAAAY after the original X trilogy where Dr. Cain handled X's missions?

Signas specifically steps up after the previous leader steps down over the repliforce incident (MMX4)

Agreed, though I always thought Signas was easy enough, provided he was simply promoted from another position in the Hunters.

The designers even teased the resemblance between Signas and Colonel and that the former Hunter leader who he replaced might have had some similarities to General, visually. Not too difficult to imagine from those lines that maybe, prior to becoming leader, Signas was a lower-ranking commander of the Hunter forces, not unlike Colonel to Repliforce.

In any case, I'd think anyone interested in picking it up could probably wrap their head around the idea of an X series being something of an origin story (past Dawn of X, anyway). Plus, since time travel is pretty much essential to bringing X in no matter what, skipping ahead affords more options.

Personally, I just kind of wish it was post-X8, if only for Alia's later design. Then again, covers don't always depict what's inside (see: Zero during the previous X stories).

What's interesting to me is that Sigma and Vile look very much like their first incarnations, making me wonder if we're not seeing X characters from different points in that series' history.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:43 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:

Agreed, though I always thought Signas was easy enough, provided he was simply promoted from another position in the Hunters.

The designers even teased the resemblance between Signas and Colonel and that the former Hunter leader who he replaced might have had some similarities to General, visually. Not too difficult to imagine from those lines that maybe, prior to becoming leader, Signas was a lower-ranking commander of the Hunter forces, not unlike Colonel to Repliforce.

In any case, I'd think anyone interested in picking it up could probably wrap their head around the idea of an X series being something of an origin story (past Dawn of X, anyway). Plus, since time travel is pretty much essential to bringing X in no matter what, skipping ahead affords more options.

Personally, I just kind of wish it was post-X8, if only for Alia's later design. Then again, covers don't always depict what's inside (see: Zero during the previous X stories).

What's interesting to me is that Sigma and Vile look very much like their first incarnations, making me wonder if we're not seeing X characters from different points in that series' history.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Well, the original X covers had X2+ Zero on the cover, but X-styled Zero in the story
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Razorsaw » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:11 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Penguin God wrote:People handled it fine when Mega Man did it in Collide. Bass and Duo (Signas and Alia and Axl) still haven't shown up, and Proto Man still isn't Mega Man's friend (Sigma being evil). All those Robot Masters are still unseen (any Mavericks). Why do you assume this time it's all a disaster when it had essentially no negative consequences the first time?

X is a much more story and character driven story than Classic is. Every new classic game is basically "Wily has a new scheme, stop him!"

And that applies to the comics, which are story driven from the word go, how?

And here's a better question for you: who else are they supposed to make the villain? Quint?
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:30 am

Razorsaw wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:

And that applies to the comics, which are story driven from the word go, how?

And here's a better question for you: who else are they supposed to make the villain? Quint?

Xander Payne, considering he was forshadowing this thing for awhile now.

Spoiler: show
I really expected it to be Naugus and Payne. Naugus trying to deal with those double memories causes the thing to reboot the universe in order to try and fix everything. Xander helps him because he's nuts now and maybe if he can rewrite his universe, he can remove robots?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:24 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Well, the original X covers had X2+ Zero on the cover, but X-styled Zero in the story

Right; that's what I was referring to when I said "see: Zero during the previous X stories." ;)

Also, I think I'm mistaken-- Sigma has the big flared collar and chest jewel, but the chest armor itself, particularly around the ribs, seems a bit different. It's not ringing any bells offhand, so hopefully it's a unique bod for this adventure. =)

Mavrickindigo wrote:X is a much more story and character driven story than Classic is. Every new classic game is basically "Wily has a new scheme, stop him!"

I'm not sure I agree with this; it may be a matter of semantics, but X isn't really driven by story any more than Classic, by my estimation. Strip out all the story, and for the most part, the experience remains the same: Run through a stage from beginning to end, shooting everything in sight and killing the big bad for great justice.

It does have more emphasis on story, but it's more of a dressing than a driver. Classic is a burger with mustard, ketchup, and pickles, while X is like a Whopper or something.

For the first four games or so, anyway. I'd say X5's story has more bearing on the gameplay, as do some later installments. More story is infused into the gameplay, pushing the gameplay itself in different directions (unless you'd rather they just came up with gimmicks and made up story to justify them).

I'd say stuff like Legends is more story driven, though. You need a permit to get into the ruins, so you visit the mayor, but the mayor is under attack by the Bonnes, so you have to defeat the Bonnes. The mayor is grateful, so she gives you a permit, and you use the permit to enter the ruins to find the treasure which is part of the key to saving the island, and so forth.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Penguin God » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:05 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:

It really isn't. Most of the plots can be boiled down to "Sigma has a new scheme, stop him!" and the majority of the stories don't overlap and interact. They're a bunch of isolated incidents just like Classic, and the basic setup is only slightly more complicated (and even that's not so true with Light and Roll covering Signas and Alia's roles in the Classic comics.)
What will people be coming into that's so confusing?
There's Sigma, he's a really big bad evil guy who keeps coming back.
There's X, Zero and Axl, the heroes.
And there's Colonel, Signas and anybody else for support.

That's not very hard to understand, nor is it any harder to understand than Classic's cast which included a space robot paladin of all things.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Antiyonder » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:43 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:

X is a much more story and character driven story than Classic is.

Maybe more than the Classic games, but I'd argue that other than being a brighter series, the comic is just as good as X story wise.
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!