Mega Man #45 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Mega Man #45 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:24 am

Comes out today, some people already have it and are discussing it... so let's make it official! Here's the thread.

One thing left me confused when I read it earlier: I figured that the cockpit Wily uses in the game would be the workaround he devises to take control of it, and going by the schematics, that seems to be the case...

Spoiler: show
Even better is if Wily has Mega Man destroy the original module atop Gamma's head so he can use it.

...but then several other panels seem to have Gamma with that on its head anyway. Was that ever shown up there in a previous issue? I'll need to check back, unless someone has an answer.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Re: Mega Man #45 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby El Veinte » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:09 am

Speaking of Gamma, I noticed the artists' reference material seems to have changed. The previous inclusions of Gamma in the comic resembled the early official artwork from Capcom, while this issue references the Nintendo Power Mega Man 3 poster version.

I think what most impressed me about the issue is the way that it handles Mega Man getting "dark." It's probably the darkest issue since the Blackout, but balances it out in theme by not being content to leave darkness as the focus by itself. Even after the worst comes to pass, Light and company gather their support group, comfort one another and then work together to tackle their obstacles head on. Showing that loss and doubt and despair and showing the characters working through it and channeling it into a positive message is the kind of thing this comic book gets its usual high praise for, and once again it does not disappoint.

After so many issues and so much buildup, I'm really looking forward to the Break Man confrontation playing out. Been wondering if he finally admits to himself that he is the one who is broken and drops the moniker here, or if he'll keep being Break Man until we do the 4th game when he betrays Wily to rescue Kalinka.
El Veinte
BumbleFan

Postby ReifuTD » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:30 pm

Looking at the Preview Pages

The coloring art style appears to resemble Smash Bros 3DS,

Not sure out to feel about it, I can appreciate the effort gone into doing it, But this kind of cell shading always looks weird to me, I know I'll feel better about it after a couple of issues.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby SonicSoul » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:18 pm

Got it myself. Really good as always.

Did like how Break Man seemed just as shocked as Mega Man was when the lab burst into flames and was concerned about Light and Roll being okay. Perhaps that'll be something he'll take issue with when bringing it up to Wily?

And did feel really bad for Light. All he cared about was Roll's safety and felt he didn't have a choice but let Wily have his way. And even when Rock came home alive, something that normally would make him happy, he just broke down out of grief and utter self-loathing out of his belief to see good in everybody completely bite him in the butt. It's a crushing feeling.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby The Bored » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:45 pm

Wiley is such a hole in this issue. More so than I think he's ever been in any Mega Man continuity. After everything he's done Doctor Light still trusted him, but all that time Wiley just couldn't keep his arrogance in check. I actually felt for Light in this issue.

DOC robot was pretty interesting. In the game I'd always figured there were more than just one of them, but it seems that Mega Man won't even get to face off against this one in this adaptation. I hope that's not the case, but Breakman will probably more than make up for it. Blues has proven to be the most interesting character in this series. I did have a bit of problem telling which Robot Masters were talking through DOC in this issue. Was the green one supposed to be Bubbleman?
The Bored
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:17 pm

Well I could tell which was Quick Man and Flash Man.

Especially Flash Man with the comment about Roll's hair. :P
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby N'egga Man » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:52 pm

I'm taking a bit of a guess with a couple of them, but I think these are D.O.C. Robot voices so far:

Red = Quick Man
Blue = Air Man
Green = Bubble Man(?)
Brown = Wood Man(?)
Yellow = Flash Man
Orange = Crash Man

That being said, I'm really not sure how Metal Man and Heat Man could be represented colour-wise. Anyway, I found this issue to be very enjoyable, and I liked seeing a return to the darker side of the comics that hasn't been seen since Ra Moon. The art was different, but still pretty cool, giving it (and I assume the rest of this arc) a real 'grand finale' vibe. Though there are certain things about it that kinda bug me, like how Mega Man himself looks, but that's not enough to turn me off the story.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with this issue (even though the story isn't exactly 'fun') but I'm REALLY looking forward to Mega Man's final(?) battle with Break Man!
N'egga Man
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:15 pm

The writing is absolutely wonderful, again. Wily's still the optimistically delusional villain, thinking he's being a nice guy as he blows up Light's lab and the world. Proto Man is conflicted, but committed to his need for retribution. Roll and Light are victims of a higher power but while Light nearly breaks down they never lose their own strength. Mega Man is simply straightforwardly heroic but still struggles in his own way. Everything clicks just right, when it could have easily slipped into schmaltz and sap.

It's just a shame the art is bad. It's a good issue, absolutely: but with absolutely anybody else drawing it, it would have been great. And it's disappointing that it was held back this way.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Bean » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:07 pm

I disagree with you on the art being bad. It was different, but it worked. My favorite part of the issue was the whole sit down the Light family had inside of the ruined lab before it was time to put the work in to stop Wily's plan. I think that's the thing I like most about this comic. It handles those kind of moments so well.

My favorite issue is still the second part of Proto-Type for how it made Blues' character work out. Here, you have Light regretting his decision to trust Wily and almost having it break him down. The fights are hit and miss sometimes due to the page allotment, most notably in the early going, but that's gotten better while the stories themselves continue to hook me in. Good comic with another good issue.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:20 pm

I think my problem with art is the faces look really off. I'm not hating as much as before but those faces look tiny.

So there should be no more attemps to have Light think it's possible to reform Wily right? I mean he stole his giant robot to take over the world, blew up his home and stole his son. There's no way Tom could possibly trust him or think him reddemable ever again, right?

Wow this issue was heavy. I mean it was basically one gut punch after another. And it was awesome. I love that I can care about these characters enough to really feel hurt by Dr. Light's speech about how Naive he is. Every moment in this feels natural and deserved. Roll calling Dr. Light "Daddy" when she's scared, Blues' anger at Rock for existing, Dr. Light's speech as I mentioned all of it felt really real. And the fact I can say that about a story that features Wily strolling through Tanks in a Megazord is saying something.

Fantastic issue of a continually fantastic series.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:07 pm

The Bored wrote:Wiley is such a hole in this issue. More so than I think he's ever been in any Mega Man continuity. After everything he's done Doctor Light still trusted him, but all that time Wiley just couldn't keep his arrogance in check. I actually felt for Light in this issue.

DOC robot was pretty interesting. In the game I'd always figured there were more than just one of them, but it seems that Mega Man won't even get to face off against this one in this adaptation. I hope that's not the case, but Breakman will probably more than make up for it. Blues has proven to be the most interesting character in this series. I did have a bit of problem telling which Robot Masters were talking through DOC in this issue. Was the green one supposed to be Bubbleman?

That is one of the things about Wily's character in the comics-he's always offered every chance at redeeming himself, but keeps deciding to continue his evil path.

The game does give the impression of multiple DOC Robots, all fought in different Robot Master stages-but I imagine Ian's probably going for a single confrontation. The solicit for 47 makes it look like Mega Man will be facing off with DOC Robot, though he will apparently tangle with Break Man first. The Robot Master voices coming from DOC Robot are tricky, especially when it seems like some of them are acting out of character-at least from my knowledge of them.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:49 am

Kind of related to what'll probably happen next issue, but I get the feeling Mega Man is really going to take out his anger towards Wily and be mostly inflicting it on Break Man. He feels BM is just as guilty about what has happened and still holds a grudge about shooting Roll, despite us knowing that was an accident and BM felt bad for it.

Putting the rest in Spoiler-tags since well, potential spoilers:
Spoiler: show
Calling him out that he had opportunity to return home but have BM just say he was replaced as "the perfect son" and wants nothing to do with family. BM would also bring up that Wily saved his life and feels in debt to him, thus explaining why he has to do what he says. But MM makes a rebuttal on, "Then how far will you follow him? Will there be something that will draw the line and feel he's gone too far?" This course makes BM recall his shock at seeing Light Labs blown up and worrying about Light and Roll's well-being.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby SimonSays » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:54 pm

Story was top notch. Definitely one of my favorite issues for Dr. Light. And it was really nice seeing the different Robot Masters struggle (or not) with shooting Roll.

Though, at the same time as I'm feeling bad for Light, I kind of don't. I mean, being forgiving is great and all, but when it gets to the part where he asks Mega Man to save the day again, I couldn't help but feel like 'yeah, this kind of IS your fault, and you put your kids at risk because of it.' Rock hates fighting. Rock could get killed. Come on man, get a clue. There's something really unsettling about two children (what are they, eight?) telling their dad that things are going to be okay and that they're willing to go to war for him, after he was the one dopey enough to let a villain into their home and steal his weapons. Light's a good guy, but he's not the best parent. I'm not familiar with the plots of the Mega Man games, so I don't know how many more times Light's supposedly duped by Wily, but it's hard to picture him falling for anymore tricks in the comic after this.

As for the art, I think the problem was just a bad combo of artists. Evan's style of shading is very form-based and feels realistic and 3D. But unfortunately Ryan Odagawa's pencils are more cartoony and don't really lend themselves to that. Some panels it works, like when Proto Man shoots down Mega Man and stands over him. But almost all the interior shots involving Light and Roll- especially the ones that take place away from the fire- feel really claustrophobic as a result of the light and shadow being too intense. There's an orange rim light on every character in almost every panel, no matter the setting, which gets confusing. Some of the panels were a bit cluttered and repetitive, which I don't think helped. I like the work of both artists in other settings, but together they just didn't really mesh and it felt muddy as a result.

But yeah, good issue. This arc has been fun in general. Looking forward to the fight with Break Man.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby lalalei2001 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:37 pm

SimonSays wrote:Though, at the same time as I'm feeling bad for Light, I kind of don't. I mean, being forgiving is great and all, but when it gets to the part where he asks Mega Man to save the day again, I couldn't help but feel like 'yeah, this kind of IS your fault, and you put your kids at risk because of it.' Rock hates fighting. Rock could get killed. Come on man, get a clue. There's something really unsettling about two children (what are they, eight?) telling their dad that things are going to be okay and that they're willing to go to war for him, after he was the one dopey enough to let a villain into their home and steal his weapons. Light's a good guy, but he's not the best parent. I'm not familiar with the plots of the Mega Man games, so I don't know how many more times Light's supposedly duped by Wily, but it's hard to picture him falling for anymore tricks in the comic after this.

Well, there was that time in 5, and 7, and 9 (not Light, but the entire human race got duped), and 10...
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:44 am

lalalei2001 wrote:
SimonSays wrote:Though, at the same time as I'm feeling bad for Light, I kind of don't. I mean, being forgiving is great and all, but when it gets to the part where he asks Mega Man to save the day again, I couldn't help but feel like 'yeah, this kind of IS your fault, and you put your kids at risk because of it.' Rock hates fighting. Rock could get killed. Come on man, get a clue. There's something really unsettling about two children (what are they, eight?) telling their dad that things are going to be okay and that they're willing to go to war for him, after he was the one dopey enough to let a villain into their home and steal his weapons. Light's a good guy, but he's not the best parent. I'm not familiar with the plots of the Mega Man games, so I don't know how many more times Light's supposedly duped by Wily, but it's hard to picture him falling for anymore tricks in the comic after this.

Well, there was that time in 5, and 7, and 9 (not Light, but the entire human race got duped), and 10...

Light wasn't tricked by Wily in 5, he was kidnapped.

It was the then-unknown Bass who duped Light and Mega Man in Mega Man 7.

I don't think Light trusted Wily in 10, or Mega Man & Bass; seemed more like an uneasy alliance to me.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!