Dr Lalinde's Legacy

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Dr Lalinde's Legacy

Postby Arkus0 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:40 pm

I recently had a thought in regards to any possible Mega Man X spin off and of a theory fans have had about the three main characters X, Zero and Axl.

X was created by Dr Light and is his greatest creation, same with Zero for Dr Wily. There is a fan theory that Axl may have had a similar origin and was built by Dr Cossack, though I'm not sure if there is evidence to support it.

But lets say its true and that the three Doctors of the Classics each created an advanced robot (reploid) as their lasting legacy before they died. If this is done in comic form, what do you guys think of Dr Lalinde also creating such a robot? Basically a female X who resembles Quake Woman (Tempo) as much as X resembles Mega Man.
Arkus0
BumbleCitizen

Re: Dr Lalinde's Legacy

Postby Penguin God » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:42 pm

Axl was built after Reploids were already common, so I doubt he was Cossack's in any way. Really, only X and Zero come from the old era. We don't need more than that.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:17 pm

Axl is the prototype for the next Generation Reploids
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:51 am

Cossack's seen a small rise in prominence more recently, between the Sage Trinity from ZX and his role in Xover. That said, I'd not be opposed to Axl being his (hair color seems about right), and only not discovered until well after Reploids ruled the world.

...mind, I don't think they ever really concretely said where Axl came from in any specific terms, did they? Not in such a way as to rule it out completely; just that Lumine and the rest were seemingly based off of him, but that doesn't mean too much; everyone else is based on X, after all, and both are amnesiac...

I'm not saying he is or isn't, just that it's a possibility, more so with Cossack being more of a thing now than he was between MM5-whenever.

As for Lalinde? Maybe hers is Alia. ;P

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:46 am

Is X really amnesiac? I always assumed that was the case as a kid, but I recall after replaying the games that it doesn't specifically say that, much like many other things I assumed to be true about the series.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:43 pm

After X3 (which I discovered reading the booklet at Blockbuster... kind of painted everything I knew in a whole new light), it's been brought up a few times. The first indication, at least in the U.S., was with "Reploid leader of the 17th Unit, Maverick Hunters. His creation is shrouded in mystery; nobody knows why he was built and then buried. Can X learn?" They basically repeated it for X4 as well.

"Amnesia" might be kind of arguable/inaccurate, though, admittedly. It could just as much be that he was initially booted up when Cain found him, leaving him with little knowledge of his origins. MHX shows him interacting with Light, but he doesn't quite recognize him when he finds the first upgrade capsule.

Zero, of course, is in a similar situation, with only flashbacks to hint at his origin... at least at first.

Axl fits the mold well enough, unable to remember where he got his abilities or anything before Red found him.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:24 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:The first indication, at least in the U.S., was with "Reploid leader of the 17th Unit, Maverick Hunters. His creation is shrouded in mystery; nobody knows why he was built and then buried. Can X learn?" They basically repeated it for X4 as well.

Except for Dr. Cain finding Dr. Light's message. Maybe Dr. Cain didn't broadcast all the details - maybe all he said was "Hey! I found a cool thing! Let's make more like it!" - but that he wouldn't tell X stretches credulity. Plus there's X directly meeting and speaking with Dr. Light in "Day of Sigma," but we're treading into the "Mega Man X can't keep its details straight" territory again.

Also, I don't want to get too crazy with the Classic-to-X carry overs. And as for Axl, there seems to be more of a connection to Sigma than Cossack. It was Sigma who made the next-gen reploids (according to MMX8), and the heavy-handed hint he was infected in the true ending in MMX8.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:45 am

Ian Flynn wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:The first indication, at least in the U.S., was with "Reploid leader of the 17th Unit, Maverick Hunters. His creation is shrouded in mystery; nobody knows why he was built and then buried. Can X learn?" They basically repeated it for X4 as well.

Except for Dr. Cain finding Dr. Light's message. Maybe Dr. Cain didn't broadcast all the details - maybe all he said was "Hey! I found a cool thing! Let's make more like it!" - but that he wouldn't tell X stretches credulity.

Oh, I'm sure X was told some stuff, sure. Why he was made, though, seems to have eluded him.

Plus there's X directly meeting and speaking with Dr. Light in "Day of Sigma," but we're treading into the "Mega Man X can't keep its details straight" territory again.

Right, I mentioned that above with the "interacting with Light" part, as it shows him awake and doing that in X's memory, but then at the capsule... I just sort of assumed that we had a clearer view of what was going on than X did.

Also, I don't want to get too crazy with the Classic-to-X carry overs. And as for Axl, there seems to be more of a connection to Sigma than Cossack. It was Sigma who made the next-gen reploids (according to MMX8), and the heavy-handed hint he was infected in the true ending in MMX8.

Indeed; if memory serves (it's been a while since I've gone lore-diving, so my details may be a little rusty), Axl was the prototype, but their existence seemed to be a mystery, at least to X and the Hunters. My guess would be that Axl was the basis for the New Generation (not Next Generation) Reploids by whoever made them (Sigma would be a little weird, as how would they then wind up working such an important project?) and was somehow lost/discarded while they did their thing.

Axl may not have even been active when being replicated by whoever made the NGRs. Perhaps he was activated when Red found him, which would fit his story of not knowing where his abilities came from.

The NGRs didn't want Axl joining their little He-Bot Human Haterz club, anyway, as Axl was unable to "go Maverick" (inasmuch as whatever that actually means on whatever given day it is). Odd thing for Sigma to leave out, prototype or not, but it fits the M.O. of what Light was doing with X, and one could imagine-- especially in the comics-- that somehow extending to Cossack as well.

As for the ending... well, what that was all about ultimately remains a mystery. All we know for sure is that it seems to infuse Axl with Lumine's essence, turning Axl's color scheme to that of his assailant and increasing his power (and removing his scar). Who knows if that's even canon, though?

Joking about Alia, by the way. Lalinde's "legacy" bot would be a fascinating idea for fan art or whatever, though.

Oh, wait! I know who it is! It was so obvious!

Spoiler: show

'Cuz he's green, you see.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Ian Flynn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:44 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:My guess would be that Axl was the basis for the New Generation (not Next Generation) Reploids by whoever made them (Sigma would be a little weird, as how would they then wind up working such an important project?) and was somehow lost/discarded while they did their thing.

1) Hold on - there's a "New Gen" and "Next Gen" set of reploids? Are you sure this isn't an Irregular/Maverick type thing? It's been awhile since I reviewed X7 and X8, but the impression I got was that Axl was the prototype in X7, and the mass-produced units debuted in X8. Red Alert of X7 was just regular reploids.

2) Sigma calls the Next Gens his "children" in X8, revealing the entire thing was his doing (hence why all the NGRs have Sigma DNA in their coding, and they all turn into Sigma on the moon base). I'm not quite sure how this jives with Lumine pulling the strings, unless he managed to out-Sigma Siggy.

&) This doesn't take into account Command Mission, and the research center that created Axl's chameleon chip... was on an island built hundreds of years after the fact to investigate the Force Metal. Mmph.

OP) On topic with the OP: I specifically developed Dr. LaLinde and Tempo (with Aleah's help) to inject a female presence into the series. We both took great pains to make them constructive additions to the mythos and not token females. That said, I don't know if I'm comfortable with the idea of Dr. LaLinde developing a Classic-to-X creation. Dr. Light and Dr. Wily are supposed to be the star scientists. It's their efforts and creations that shape the course of the series. Having Dr. LaLinde, or Dr. Astil, or any of the other to-be-introduced scientists jump on that bandwagon feels a little fan-ficcy to me.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:55 pm

I believe a capcom employee said that command mission was an alternate reality. Can anyone confirm?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:47 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:My guess would be that Axl was the basis for the New Generation (not Next Generation) Reploids by whoever made them (Sigma would be a little weird, as how would they then wind up working such an important project?) and was somehow lost/discarded while they did their thing.

1) Hold on - there's a "New Gen" and "Next Gen" set of reploids? Are you sure this isn't an Irregular/Maverick type thing? It's been awhile since I reviewed X7 and X8, but the impression I got was that Axl was the prototype in X7, and the mass-produced units debuted in X8. Red Alert of X7 was just regular reploids.

Sorry-- I mean the term is New Generation, not Next Generation. I'm not sure the latter term has ever been used.

Mavrickindigo wrote:I believe a capcom employee said that command mission was an alternate reality. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah, I believe so, though I can't remember/find a source. At this point, though, that could always change should they ever pick things up again-- they kind of have a habit of doing that at the drop of a hat (three years becomes three weeks, X becomes Copy X, Four Guardians lived through Z3, then they died, so forth...).

Nor am I even sure whoever said it would be the final authority.

Oh, wait, here's a translation of what might have been it:

X, Zero, Axl, the three protagonists of the Rockman X series appear in the series first RPG, this is Rockman X Command Mission. The Rockman X series origins and exists as an action game series, as an RPG a good fight tempo is considerably characteristic. Besides, the story isn't related with the series even though it is exciting in many demo scenes. It also contains elements and complete sub-events, precisely for those that wish to play a long time.

Seems to correlate more with the idea that it's a side-story, rather than related to anything to do with Sigma and the like, which it is.

Edit: Okay, Oakie found the the quote I was thinking of on RPM:

Higurashi: "Command Mission" is technically a spin-off, so even though it takes place in 22XX, it's not necessarily the same "22XX" during which the "Zero" series takes place. Still, we didn't want to cut it off completely just because it's a spin-off. Our goal was to incorporate some of the "Zero" series' flavor in order to make it feel like "Command Mission" is still connected to the other games, like it is part of the same family. So it might be easier if you regard "Command Mission" not as "a story that takes place between X7 and the Zero series", but rather as "one of many potential futures that exists independently from the Zero series".

So, it sounds like it was envisioned as a parallel future, but they left an opening in case they changed their mind. For what it's worth, Ryuji Higarashi was the illustrator for the game.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby diamonddeath » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:36 am

All this X8 talk makes me wonder just how an elevator to the moon would work. The moon isn't always in the same spot in relation to the earth, is it?
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby lalalei2001 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:52 am

diamonddeath wrote:All this X8 talk makes me wonder just how an elevator to the moon would work. The moon isn't always in the same spot in relation to the earth, is it?

It works the same way Wily's huuuuuge MM10 castle works.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Zan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:48 am

My guess would be that Axl was the basis for the New Generation (not Next Generation) Reploids by whoever made them (Sigma would be a little weird, as how would they then wind up working such an important project?) and was somehow lost/discarded while they did their thing.

The impression I have is that Axl's creator dealt with a Gate-esque predicament. On that day that Red doesn't speak of, (it most likely cost him an eye,) the government ceased all assets of a project they deemed dangerous. They've refused to work with this new technology until Axl's track record as a Hunter noted profound advantages over the old generation, and zero risks attached.

Cossack

Since Axl exhibits design details uncommon to the Reploids created by Gate and Berkana, I'd say Cossack is as good a guess as any: especially with that Duo color scheme of his. The ability to copy even X and Zero is a huge feat as well. Furthermore, Red Alert occupies the correct sector of the world.

2) Sigma calls the Next Gens his "children" in X8, revealing the entire thing was his doing (hence why all the NGRs have Sigma DNA in their coding, and they all turn into Sigma on the moon base). I'm not quite sure how this jives with Lumine pulling the strings, unless he managed to out-Sigma Siggy.

Lumine wasn't pulling the strings per se.

As he said: "Sigma merely helped my plan along. The new generation Reploids have been awakened, and the new world is at hand!"

The two coincided in their goals until the Hunters defeated Sigma. After which Lumine declared independence, became Sigma's replacement of sorts, and crushed his father's remains before having his eyes glow bright with madness.

&) This doesn't take into account Command Mission, and the research center that created Axl's chameleon chip... was on an island built hundreds of years after the fact to investigate the Force Metal. Mmph.

The X8 epilogue addresses the resumed production of Copy Chips at Giga City.

"Years later, production in copy chips once again resumed despite the advice on those who had studied their history..."

So, it sounds like it was envisioned as a parallel future

It's parallel only to the ZERO-series' future (as confirmed by RMO) . If we take Higurashi's words at face value, that the ZERO-series is also in 22XX, Command Mission would have occurred after the Elf Wars - but without the Elf Wars ever taking place.

Zero not admitting himself into the research institute certainty changed a lot in the timeline of events.
Zan
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:16 am

I don't know about you guys, but I would be much happier if Archie put Command Mission somewhere in the timeline and not as an alternate reality..
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!