Is X Jesus?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Is X Jesus?

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:26 pm

Now, I don't want to get all preachy up in here, but this is something I've always had in the back of my head, but wanted to discuss with everyone. Mega Man X's story is that of a Messianic figure. Forgive me as I am fatigued as I type this up, so some of this might be blah.

We start in the beginning. Dr. Light creates X, but thinks the world isn't ready for him and that he needs to have morality testing before he is ready to be unleashed on the world. When he wakes up, we can assume that X is without sin. He knows what is right and lives his life as a peaceful person.

Then we have the man who discovered him. Dr. Cain is most certainly a reference to the Biblical character of Cain, who murders his brother Abel. In Day of Sigma, Dr. Cain's creations of the reploids cause the destruction of Abel city, so when the remake came out, they really hit us over the head that his name is symbolic.

Dr. Light's capsules could be like God, or rather, the Angel of the Lord. in the Bible, God often talks to people not directly, but through a messenger. Being dead, Dr. Light can't talk to X directly, but must speak to him through his "angels" the capsules.

X himself is a pacifist, always looking for a different way to solve his problems, but when push comes to shove, he kicks butt. I am reminded of Jesus kicking out the people from the temple in Jerusalem because they had turned the place of worship into a place where they could scam people out of money.

Things don't really get to be too Christian until Mega Man X8: Paradise Lost" This story, I believe, is a weird adaptation of that epic. Lumine's name is reminiscent of Lucifer, another moniker for that epic's protagonist, Satan. They seem to be going mostly for the back story of the rebellion in heaven more than the main plot of Satan tempting Adam and Eve (perhaps that would have been the plot of X9, since corrupts Axl at the end of X8). In the flashbacks, we are told about Satan's war against God, in which he fights against the angels of heaven with 1/3 of the angels at his side. He has a technological wonder (Satan has a cannon, Lumine has Next-Generation Reploids), and in that fight, Satan is defeated by a pre-carnate Jesus and sent to @#$%. Who defeats Lumine? X and his friends.

We get into more familiar biblical territory in the Zero series. In it, X Sacrifices himself to seal away the dark elf, like how Jesus dies for the sins of humanity so that they may not face eternal death. Then, X comes back from the dead (though unlike Jesus, who has a new, more perfect body, X becomes a 'spiritual' being, a Cyber Elf.)

Meanwhile, people looking for their Savoir, X, are given instead a fake, Copy X. Copy X leads people to what everyone thinks is a golden age, but it really isn't. Its not hard to believe that Copy X is the Anti-Christ figure of the X story arc. But in the Bible, there are multiple "antichrist" figures. There's the Beast and then there's a false prophet. Copy X could be the false prophet, and Omega could be the Beast. Omega himself proclaims himself to be the Messiah, and let's not forget that in Revelations, God/Jesus claims to be the "Alpha and the Omega"

So, does any of this make sense, or am I just really freaking sleepy?

EDIT: There's also the whole "X's are shaped like crosses" thing, too. Japan loves to use Christian imagery and stuff.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Re: Is X Jesus?

Postby Sunwalker » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:50 pm

For whatever reason, faux religious symbolism isn't uncommon in Japanese works (to the point that it annoys me), so I would also take religious references there with a grain of salt.

About the question, the "hero sent by someone on a mission" is a general concept and it can fit on a lot of narratives, not only Jesus. But once one starts describing more specific points about Jesus, the similarities with Megaman X start to get smaller.

The Lumine arc, though, does have some specifically Christian elements, but I am not really sure wether they are real or faux symbolism...
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:31 pm

The game is literally called "Mega Man X8: Paradise Lost"

The elevator to the moon is called "THe Jakob Project" (jacob's ladder)
One of the bosses is "Bamboo pandemonium" (Pandaemonium is the palace in @#$%)
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Sunwalker » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:18 pm

Yes, but I did state that there are specifically Christian elements. My doubt is if this qualifies as faux symbolism or not.

In "faux symbolism" the author just throws some symbols into the story in order to make it looks "profound", but he actually does not know what the symbol means and how to use its significance within the narrative.

People who does know what the symbol means might attempt to fit its the significance with the narrative, but this is a fruitless effort if the story wasn't planned with the correct meaning in mind. This is bad writing. Of course it is possible to make a good use of symbolism in the narrative in order to make it deeper, but this requires knowledge and writing skills.

I did not play MMX8, I just read the plot summary on the Internet. So I cannot really judge whether the Christian symbols does have a deeper significance or if they are just some pseudo-intellectual throw-in.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:23 pm

In the Iwamoto manga? Definitely.

Anyway, a few related things:

Mega Myths: Mega Man Zero, Part 1

Mega Myths: Mega Man Zero, Part 2

I should post Part 3 soon. I think that one looks at X himself from the Zero series... or at least Copy X.

Anyway, from a Japanese viewpoint, I imagine Christian symbolism isn't much different from any of these others, so it's probably equally as applicable here.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:47 am

Oh, so you're not asking if he's Spanish? XD

In all seriousness, the idea of a Messianic figure as a video game protagonist is definitely nothing new-I consider Sora from Kingdom Hearts to be one. On a subject closer to this forum, certain stuff from the Sonic series makes it seem like he could be intended to be one as well.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:32 pm

Spectre the Hechidnat wrote:I consider Sora from Kingdom Hearts to be one.

Ok, now you're going to have to explain that one.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Tsurugi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:01 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:

I think what it comes down to in that one is that somehow everything in the series connects back to Sora in some way, and how he'll be the one to save everybody.
Tsurugi
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:07 pm

Tsurugi wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:

I think what it comes down to in that one is that somehow everything in the series connects back to Sora in some way, and how he'll be the one to save everybody.

Hm... like how the old testament (according to Christianity) prophecizes on the coming of Christ?

That's a bit of a stretch. Not saying it may have been an inspiration, but it isn't something as blatant as X or Superman in some adaptations. Plenty of characters share elements, but with X, I'm talking they lift the major beats of the story wholesale (death and somewhat ressurrection, sacrifice for the good of the people, a pretender leading them astray)

Also while we're at it, I can add that X is also an Adam Figure, being the father of all reploids, in a sense. Paradise Lost also treats Jesus as a "Second Adam" one to come and fix the mistakes that Adam made.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Return to For Everlasting Peace!