MegaMan X series?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: MegaMan X series?

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun May 03, 2015 1:14 pm

So I've been thinking about if there is an X book what the first arc should be.

Obviously you want to do the first game but you'd also want to explore X's time as a Hunter so how would that be done? Maybe the first four issues adapt in it's own way Day of Sigma and maybe the opening of the game and then the next four are the Maverick fights and the next four adapt the fight with Sigma and his forces.

Basically the first year of Mega Man X would be dedicated to the first game more or less. What do you guys think?
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sun May 03, 2015 1:45 pm

That sounds like a good idea, BUT I feel like it would stretch a lot.
Day of Sigma MIGHT be long enough for 4 parter, but I wouldn't be that sure. But I bet that Sigma Fortress couldn't uphold 4 issues. One for Sigma, one for Vile, two for... a dog? Epilog? Some loser bosses no one cares about?
No, if you insist on 4 issue boxes it's more like 8 parter.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun May 03, 2015 2:40 pm

They CANNOT reduce Mavericks to a four-issue arc. Each Maverick has an intricate backstory that a comic would be perfect to explore. To brush them off would be terrible.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sun May 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:They CANNOT reduce Mavericks to a four-issue arc. Each Maverick has an intricate backstory that a comic would be perfect to explore. To brush them off would be terrible.

I'm not that good with X lore, does every Maverick has a rich story to himself? If so then Flynn will have no choice but to treat them poorly.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby lalalei2001 » Sun May 03, 2015 3:19 pm

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:They CANNOT reduce Mavericks to a four-issue arc. Each Maverick has an intricate backstory that a comic would be perfect to explore. To brush them off would be terrible.

I'm not that good with X lore, does every Maverick has a rich story to himself? If so then Flynn will have no choice but to treat them poorly.

They do, but mostly in supplemental materials. I think the only ones acknowledged in-game are Overdrive Ostrich, who WASN'T infected by the Maverick Virus and was just that loyal to Sigma, and Squid Adler because he was angry at X for killing Launch Octopus.

And Lumine because of his unique circumstances.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Sun May 03, 2015 4:21 pm

A lot of them do not have any real character arc, just a slightly elaborate backstory that usually means nothing. You can't tell me that Blast Hornet or Tunnel Rhino have intricate characters that need full respect.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun May 03, 2015 9:15 pm

"Rich" might be overselling it just a bit.

It's kind of like selling the TMNT theme song as deeply introspective.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sun May 03, 2015 11:39 pm

Wasn't the last work on MMX that MM Classic just doesn't draw enough readers to support another book?

I'd love to see an X book. So far they're really made sense of it. I'd want to see it adapt all the games too. There isn't NEARLY as much material as MM Classic.

I think 8 issues would work. It doesn't have to be as formulaic as it is right now in MM Classic, though. I don't think we need four entire issues for the fortress. But I do think we need a bit more setup and to establish the Mavericks (and future Mavericks) and their place in the world before it's blown sky high.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby Mordum » Mon May 04, 2015 12:27 am

lalalei2001 wrote: I think the only ones acknowledged in-game are Overdrive Ostrich, who WASN'T infected by the Maverick Virus and was just that loyal to Sigma.

This is way more interesting than "Robots have free will but we still have a reprogramming virus anyway."
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Mon May 04, 2015 1:00 am

Yeah there are several Mavericks that are like that, which either defect without the virus or purposefully get themselves infected to fulfill some motivation or another. Those are interesting! Guys like Axle the Red, Burn Rooster or Boomer Kuwanger are interesting, but they're the minority, not the majority.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Mon May 04, 2015 3:45 am

Still, considering the trend we have it's quite obvious how first issues would look like
1-3 first game 4-7 break for another crossover.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon May 04, 2015 5:52 am

Penguin God wrote:Yeah there are several Mavericks that are like that, which either defect without the virus or purposefully get themselves infected to fulfill some motivation or another. Those are interesting! Guys like Axle the Red, Burn Rooster or Boomer Kuwanger are interesting, but they're the minority, not the majority.

there are plenty of exceptions in the X series and characters with interesting backgrounds or scenarios that could facilitate their own issues or arcs

X you have Storm Eagle, who will not betray his CO, no matter what, Boom Kuwanger, who defected to see X's potential, and Chill Penguin, who was always kind of a jerk
X2 you have Magna Centipede, who was sent in to infiltrate the X Hunter Base, but was forcibly reprogrammed, Wheel Gator, who is running a moving battle fortress through a city, and Morph Moth and Wire Sponge, both weapons created by the X Hunters
X3 is mostly people infected by the virus, but still, some of them were peaceful people, like Blizzard Buffallo.
X4 has that whoel thing where the 8 mavericks aren't all related to each other.

X6 is ripe with storytelling possibilities. Each one of them were killed off by some dirty corrupt political stuff.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:09 pm

There was way, WAY too much made of the virus stuff. IMO, the X series should never, ever have focused on a virus being behind it all; it really undermines everything it's about.

The Zero series also added stuff retroactively that just went over my head. I dunno what was up with it.

Hopefully an X series would be able to clear all that up.
Gauntlet101010
BumbleFan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Mon May 04, 2015 10:14 pm

I don't know Mav I've been watching Clement's LP's of Mega Man X 1-3 and there's nothing about the Mavericks that really sticks out to me more than Robot Masters. Any Backstory could easily be covered in arcs between Game Adaptations.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue May 05, 2015 5:52 am

SonicBlueRanger wrote:I don't know Mav I've been watching Clement's LP's of Mega Man X 1-3 and there's nothing about the Mavericks that really sticks out to me more than Robot Masters. Any Backstory could easily be covered in arcs between Game Adaptations.

most of the Maverick Backstories are not in the games, especially in the old games. They are covered in manuals and in other books.

For instance, Gravity Beetle is Boomer Kuwanger's younger brother and is out for revenge against X for murdering his brother. Can you imagine the storytelling potential of that when X, the pacifist, confronts someone who has turned Maverick just because X turned violent?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!