Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby lalalei2001 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:33 am

I actually prefer 10 to 9, if only because it was way easier and felt more fun. I beat 1-8 and 10, and BARELY beat 9.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Tcat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:12 pm

You got farther than me. I beat two bosses, put down the controller of out Rage Quit and never played anything after it. Because of it I didn't even give 10 a chance. The retro look was a huge turn off for me to begin with. I should have stuck to my guns and not bought 9 to start. Now I'm stuck with a crap game I don't ever plan to play again.
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 pm

Soon Mega Man will have 0 capcom games soon. Mega Man Xover is getting discontinued
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Tcat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:46 pm

I would have thought you of all people would be jumping for joy at that prospect. .. seems like the majority are glad to see it go just on the principle it was "crap". For all its game flaws I really liked Over-1. I think I'd rather have him than Axl. :\

I found kind of a sweet quote out there earlier tonight though, which was (sadly) probably the nicest comment I could find and sums up my feelings about it nicely..
I know everyone hated on this game, and certainly, I can understand why. From what I can see, the gameplay leaves a LOT to be desired. But I'm still a little sad we never got to try it out in the West. There are things about it that I actually like. Over-1's design, to me, is pretty awesome, and I also love that Kalinka made a comeback, too. While I don't think everything about this game was well executed, it had some pretty cool ideas, and the concept of a massive crossover is something I had been dreaming of for ages. Xover's existence has always been rather bittersweet to me. There's a lot of lost potential, and while not its only crime, I think the biggest crime is that it wasn't an action platformer for home consoles (or at the very least handhelds), and instead was a social RPG for mobile devices. I know most of the comments section here is likely to be celebrations or something, but for me, I'm just gonna be a bit sad about what Capcom could have done with this concept, and some of the cool ideas and characters that were more or less wasted on something that was doomed to fail due to the poor choices of its execution.
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby Bean » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:58 am

That list of games and their droughts is interesting. I do know that Metroid fans have that same issue after the disaster was Other M, and some were annoyed that Retro was working on a sequel to DKC Returns for the Wii U instead of a new one. It's been the same four+ year gap as Mega Man, excluding XOver or other seemingly cheap cash-in games.

The issue with Mega Man is that it was a lot like Sonic and Mario since NSMB where you'd expect one title every year. Granted, I never want to see "quality" like the hedgehog has had at times, but eh. When the classic stuff faded in the late 90s, there was still X, Legends, and soon to be Battle Network and Zero/ZX. And then once those faded, there were 9 and 10. Now it's clear that Capcom doesn't have much use for him, but at least there are games that harken back to its style or draw inspiration from it like Gunvolt and Shovel Knight have and Mighty No. 9 most likely will.

Basically, no one likes seeing their favorite franchises take a long break. It's why I was thrilled when the original NSMB came out and have been enjoying a high amount of the titles he's been in up through Super Mario 3D World. Used to be lucky if we got one main game a generation on the N64 and Gamecube, but the Wii/DS and Wii U/3DS have made sure that those games will continue to be made. Wish Mega could get another one, but eh. I'll wait. Been waiting 20 years now for a Sonic game that actually played like the Genesis ones with only the original Sonic Advance scratching that itch somewhat.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:59 am

Bean wrote:Basically, no one likes seeing their favorite franchises take a long break. It's why I was thrilled when the original NSMB came out and have been enjoying a high amount of the titles he's been in up through Super Mario 3D World. Used to be lucky if we got one main game a generation on the N64 and Gamecube, but the Wii/DS and Wii U/3DS have made sure that those games will continue to be made. Wish Mega could get another one, but eh. I'll wait. Been waiting 20 years now for a Sonic game that actually played like the Genesis ones with only the original Sonic Advance scratching that itch somewhat.

Oh, so very much this. Super Mario Sunshine is far from one of my favorites, but my dislike was amplified by the fact that for a generation, that was it. That's all we got.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:32 am

Now we have all sorts of mario games coming out with different franchises and offshoots. Mega Man could be this massive COD-style machine where we get a different game every year, worked on by different teams. Of course, Inafune and Capcom shot themselves in the foot by licensing their games out to Mediocre developers like Ninja Theory instead of cool people like Wayforward.

as for Xover, I was just reporting on it. I wish the game gets a conclusion and the story isn't stopped like every other version of the franchise seems to be. That's the worst part. I can live without a Mega Man 11, but Mega Man X8, Mega Man ZX advent, and Mega Man Legends 2 all ended with a cliffhanger or an open-ended problem that needed to be solved.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby diamonddeath » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:53 pm

Mega Man will live on only through everyone but Capcom- Nintendo's Super Smash Bros, Archie Comics' comic series, toy companies making figures, and even Inafune's spiritual successors' gameplay. Capcom needs to get a new staff apparently, or at least whoever made these decisions.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Previous

Return to For Everlasting Peace!