Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:19 pm

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/1 ... ion_copies

So apparently Capcom's current policy is not to create sequels for games that don't make >2 million Copies. Guess we now know why there hasn't been a new Mega Man game, And if this continues to be their policy, then it means there will never be a new Mega Man game.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Re: Mega Man Franchise Inferred Dead

Postby SurrealBrain » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:17 pm

I understand needing sales, but I'm not sure it's the most realistic policy.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby Tcat » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:37 pm

I understand it. If your product isn't going to make enough turn around for profit you're not going to bother making it in the first place. Though I'm more disappointed about no new Darkstalkers :/ I'd give my front teeth for a new game.
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby ReifuTD » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Don't squeals often make more money then original games because it's easier for people know about recognize the new game. If Capcom keeps burying their franchises I can't see how they are going to make money. If money is an issue use a cheaper bought. How much did it cost to make the last two mega man games?
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Bean » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:02 pm

If that's the case, then Capcom would literally just be the Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and Monster Hunter group. That's a huge void in the mid-tier library and why I think this generation is going to be pretty dang bad. It already is when you can actually make an argument that Nintendo themselves had a better first year without third-party support than the PS4 and XB1 have had with it. Astounding, really. It's not like they're the only company with this mindset either as EA, Konami, and others have grown more stagnant than what they were a decade ago.

Yeah, this is why I'm glad that indies or smaller companies are making the games I want. Gunvolt scratched the Zero/ZX itch, and it's looking more and more like Mighty No. 9 will do the same for the Classic/X fan in me.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:38 pm

Bean wrote:If that's the case, then Capcom would literally just be the Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and Monster Hunter group. That's a huge void in the mid-tier library and why I think this generation is going to be pretty dang bad. It already is when you can actually make an argument that Nintendo themselves had a better first year without third-party support than the PS4 and XB1 have had with it. Astounding, really. It's not like they're the only company with this mindset either as EA, Konami, and others have grown more stagnant than what they were a decade ago.

Yeah, this is why I'm glad that indies or smaller companies are making the games I want. Gunvolt scratched the Zero/ZX itch, and it's looking more and more like Mighty No. 9 will do the same for the Classic/X fan in me.

I suggest Shovel Knight to scratch that itch and more
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Gonzo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:52 am

There's wanting to make money and then there's guaranteeing that you'll run out of series. What is Capcom going to do when a SF/Re/MH title doesn't hit the 2 million mark? Bury that series and never look back, or admit that this policy isn't working on the long run?

At least there's always the comics w/r/t Megaman...
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:25 am

Gonzo wrote:There's wanting to make money and then there's guaranteeing that you'll run out of series. What is Capcom going to do when a SF/Re/MH title doesn't hit the 2 million mark? Bury that series and never look back, or admit that this policy isn't working on the long run?

At least there's always the comics w/r/t Megaman...

we'll just have to see, I guess. Though it would either mean Capcom dies of their own stupidity, or they shape up and realize how dumb they really are.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Spin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:38 am

At this point Capcom would be better off doing Kickstarters if they are that worried about ensuring hefty profits from risky big budget games. Letting consumers vote with their wallets is the best way to weed through people's interest as a whole.

Though they might see the idea as demeaning and worthy of bruising egos considering their traditional video game industry roots and how hard pressed they can be.

But in times of desperation, you gotta do what you gotta do to survive. And that'd be the easiest path to gain a two million dollar safety net. Otherwise they need to take a step back and focus on making low budget games with low expectations/risks. And slowly try building up their profits that way. Which would take longer for that tactic to pay off.

If neither, you can only juggle two/three balls so long before it's deemed unimpressive.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:39 am

Soon the RE/SF bubble will burst.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby ReifuTD » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:10 am

And just how do they know Darkstalkers won't sell 2 million copies, it's been what 15 years since they made the last truly new game?
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby GameBuddy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:43 am

Bean wrote:If that's the case, then Capcom would literally just be the Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and Monster Hunter group.

Are they not that now?
GameBuddy
BumbleCult

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:45 am

I'm pretty sure it's impossible for a 8-Bit platformer on digital systems to sell 2 million copies Capcom.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby Tcat » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:24 am

Ryannumber1gamer wrote:I'm pretty sure it's impossible for a 8-Bit platformer on digital systems to sell 2 million copies Capcom.

Didn't Megaman 9 sell like a billion copies?
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:28 am

I very much doubt it.

Even if it did, It's likely because Mega Man 9 was the return of the blue bomber and was one of the first games that banked on Nostalgia. I doubt another 8 Bit game on digital consoles could break 2 million. Let's face it, We are on a new generation and what most people want to see is a game that will make use of the system's power, not another game that looks like it can be made on a 25 year old console. Imagine a new Mega Man game using the graphics of Knack for a awesome 2.5 HD Platformer. Take Mighty No.9, that's gonna be a Mega Man like platformer but it's actually going to take advantage of the graphics power, rather than being lazy about it and once again banking on Nostalgia.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!