Mega Man #41 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #41 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Bean » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:03 am

IGN gets the preview for this month, and they didn't use a watermark like they have in the past. It's a Christmas miracle!
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:49 am

One thing I like, that I'm surprised no one mentioned, was...

Spoiler: show
The Easter Egg of Wily's space fortress (well, one of them-- the popcorn popper-looking one) in the background on the first page.

...spoiled, in case anyone wants to try to find it for themselves. ;P

Also, the way Mega Man took out Top Man was pretty hardcore. Can I get a "Boom! Headshot!" up in here?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Sciz » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:12 pm

This is already so much better than the style and pacing of the prior game adaptations. There's still not enough time to follow Mega Man through a level in its entirety, but that would take a year and risk growing stale quickly. On the other hand the old "blow through the level in one or two pages, then desperately try to introduce, develop, and defeat the robot master in two more" approach didn't work at all either. What made the series last through so many superficially similar sequels was that every level and fight was its own unique, memorable experience, and the hard four-issue arcs simply didn't have the space to convey that. So this format hits a nice compromise, where there's just enough time to fit in the memorable level bits without getting bogged down in watching Mega Man get past every little obstacle, and the robot master gets enough space to live and breathe and stand as a legitimate threat.

And there's still enough room to flesh out the overarching plot without Rock being in constant contact with the home team, and Rush is an integral part of the action (I'm suddenly dying to see how a battle with Bass and Treble plays out), and it even builds a better connection between the robot masters and their levels than the games themselves ever did.

I'm very happy to see a game adaptation finally hit the level of quality formerly reached only by the comic's original stories.
Sciz
BumbleFan

Postby Damo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:38 pm

I agree this feels much better than the prior adaptations, but it's important to remember why: the 4-issue trades When adapting Mega Man 1 and 2, Ian had to do the setup in the first issue, then cram everything else into the remaining three. With MM3 he was able to do a solid setup first.

As for the IC-Chip stuff, it might be a little repetitive for those of us who've been paying attention, but it's necessary. They're a crucial in-universe plot device, explaining why Rock can "destroy" robots in a non-permanent way while at the same time explaining why he's afraid of a permanent non-repairable death himself. Since there's going to always be new readers, that's a bit of info that bears repeating a few times a year.

As for the moon joke... too soon!
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Archdeco » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:09 am

"Ground Control to Mega Man"? How many David Bowie references can we expect in this arc?
Archdeco
BumbleFan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:13 am

Archdeco wrote:"Ground Control to Mega Man"? How many David Bowie references can we expect in this arc?

Well let's not forget Ground Control is Doctor Tom. :P
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Follow up my marathon of three meh issues of Mega Man with good issues of Mega Man, Universe, and STH? Nice.

Anyway, wowza. This was such a dramatic improvement coming off issue 40. Where to start? First off, like everyone else, this feels like perfect pacing so far. The issue has overall plot stuff happening on the side while Top Man and Snake Man get the primary focus of the issue, establishing their personalities before and during their fights with Mega Man. And what personalities! The two of them easily stole the issue. I'm just calmly reading the issue and bam, Top Man starts talking. He's got an incredibly engaging voice and his over the top (hah) antics just eat up every panel he's on. Snake Man goes for a completely different approach though, sounding sinister like a Disney villain with a clear edge and style. He's really cool, with a fierce, smooth edge. From what I've come to understnad, most Mega Man games seem to follow a patterned story model where Rock fights eight new Robot Masters and then Dr. Wily in a new castle. Unless there's more substantive plot to some of them (talking main series, Super Adventure Rockman's adaptation clearly shows some offer more plot opportunities) I could see game adaptations serving as excellent character introductions. Unlike Astrobot7000, I like having such a large extended cast. Sure, I wouldn't want to see all the Robot Masters as principal cast in the book, but I think they'd make for awesome opportunies of guest star appearances later on, so I like keeping them alive.

Back to THIS issue, Powree's back with more awesome art. I love her style and it's attention to expression. Rock, Snake Man, and Top Man all have a wide range of emotions this issue and all of them feel really solid. Particularly during the Robot Masters death scenes. The writing certainly helps too, but the content faces on Top Man and Snake Man really make the scenes work, establishing a depth to what's taking place. Rock's face following Top Man is exactly the same. You can feel his pain.

Anyway, really great start to the arc and am eager to get the next issue!
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Archdeco » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:36 am

Since I dunno if you still go to That Other Place We Talk, I'll just say it here: You really hit it out of the park with this one, Ian. All the parts about the MM2 arc that weren't so great got fixed and the action stays just as intense as it needed to. And Powree's doing a fine job as well. The next eight months are gonna be pretty great.
Archdeco
BumbleFan

Postby Sciz » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:24 pm

GentlemanX wrote:From what I've come to understnad, most Mega Man games seem to follow a patterned story model where Rock fights eight new Robot Masters and then Dr. Wily in a new castle.

More or less. It stops being quite that simple as time goes on (e.g. compare the setup for this arc compared to that of the MM1 and 2 adapts), but the Classic series mostly only ever bothered with plot to the extent that it let them justify throwing Mega Man against another eight robot masters without ever recycling the exact same reason as a prior game. Fortunately for us, that means the series is littered with peripheral and barely explored details that make it so ripe for this sort of adaptation.
Sciz
BumbleFan

Postby Sunwalker » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Since this wasn't posted yet, here is the Short Circuits of MM #41:
Mega Man #41 - Short Circuits.jpg
(click to zoom)

By the way, does someone know who is Eric Esquivel? I do not remember seeing him scripting for Mega Man before.

Edit: Thanks to Ian Flynn's twitter, I found Eric's Twitter (@ericMesquivel). It seems that he is also writing the backup story of STH #265.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Bean » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:03 pm

One day, I will get this issue. Ha-ha.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby diamonddeath » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:58 pm

I'm a bit confused here. What's the point of this wild goose chase that Dr. Wily sent Mega Man on? If he ultimately wants Mega Man to obtain the crystals, then why did he have his Robot Masters pretend to go rogue? And for that matter, why have Mega Man obtain the crystals? Dr. Wily could have easily just obtained them from Gamma in the beginning. Is he trying to buy time until his fortress is built? Would he really have lost his chance to obtain the crystals before then? He's basically giving Mega Man eight new power-ups just for the sake of a wild goose chase.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:51 am

Don't forget that he's also building trust among the others, and building trust takes time.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:36 am

Got the issue. Top Man is awesome! I was wondering hoe Flynn would portray him (cuz his ability is different and how he could come off as gay-ish) but the pursuit of style and elegance totally works! (loved those expressions when Megaman was just being a brute towards his carefully planned traps).

And he was totally ripping up Megaman! His centrifugal force can actually deflect energy shots? That makes him more dangerous, like he's manipulating gravity on a local level, like how black holes can bend light. That headshot was brutal, haha. At least he didn't say anything like 'my pretty face is ruined' or something, haha.

I'm pretty glad he was faced first. The first bots get more screen time. Heck, Top Man even got a splash page to himself, woo! I would have liked him to have been posed more dynamically but, he got the giant cat bot included in the shot! Hehe

Rush was integral to beating both robot masters. I'm worried something bad might happen to him now, if someone notices. The IC chips better not get damaged. Actually, unless the bot is trying to kill Megaman, there's no reason he can't just incapacitate them. Stun them or shock them. Actually, Spark Shock can totally do that.

Oh, megaman's use of Top Spin was good work. Haha on the surprise slam catching Snake Man off guard. It totally changed his thought panels at that exact point.

Btw, why Legends of Megaman? Does game 3 have another subtitle? Legends of Megaman should be reserved for Rock Casket of the Megaman Legends series, haha. Kidding.
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:31 am

FeroMcPigletron wrote:Btw, why Legends of Megaman? Does game 3 have another subtitle? Legends of Megaman should be reserved for Rock Casket of the Megaman Legends series, haha. Kidding.

"The End of Dr. Wily!?"

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!