Mega Man #40 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #40 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby diamonddeath » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:47 am

Bean wrote:One thing I didn't notice previously was Bright Man apologizing for using Pharaoh Man's weakness after the fight was over. It's those little things that make these comics fun to go back over.

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that. Nice catch! I wonder if Mega Man will think back to that when the time comes for him to fight them both.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby Frontier » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:42 pm

That is pretty cool :) .

If Mega Man ends up fighting Pharaoh Man last, which I think is likely to happen, I could see it being referenced and that's how Mega Man figures out Pharaoh Man's weakness.

Though that has me wondering... does Mega Man already know at least some of the weakness for the MM3 Robot Masters considering he's already copied a few of their weapons? At least I'm pretty sure he did during the Ra Moon arc...
Frontier
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:47 pm

We've only meet two of the Cossack bots so far. Kinda hard to map out weaknesses when six of the RMs don't exist yet =P
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Penguin God » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:48 pm

The Mega Man 3 robots all did, check those numbers. I don't recall Mega Man actually using any weapon weaknesses in the Ra Moon arc though, so he's going in pretty blind.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby EvilEddie » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:36 pm

He used Needle Cannon on Snake Man, so he knows one.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:05 pm

diamonddeath wrote:
Bean wrote:One thing I didn't notice previously was Bright Man apologizing for using Pharaoh Man's weakness after the fight was over. It's those little things that make these comics fun to go back over.

Oh wow, I didn't even notice that. Nice catch! I wonder if Mega Man will think back to that when the time comes for him to fight them both.

I believe Pharaohman mentions his disdain for bright light in Spiritus-Ex-Machina
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:59 pm

Feels like forever since I talked about a comic, even Mega Man.

Last comic I actually talked about was issue 36, since after reading 37 I decided to wait until I had all of Dawn of X to read the rest (made even later because I didn't even realize issue 40 was late until 41 arrived, forcing me to contact Archie about the missing issue so I'm getting to this a month late not even counting that). Personally, reading through the remaining three today,I think that was a smart decision on my part. Anyway, this is more a look at all four issues rather than just #40, so keep that in mind.

Okay, the quality of the work on the issues is all together very good. Ian's got a lot of solid dialogue for all the characters, despite some of them not getting much to do (the group at Light Labs/Cain). I particularly liked Cossack and Wily's exchanges, especially with Wily in the clear right now their chemistry together is just a lot of fun to read. Animosity without out right dislike. Another definite strength of the four parter is the highlighting of the X cast. Zero and X both seem interesting (Cain less so), but Vile and Sigma are definitely strong characters that I'd love to see more of. Sigma is clearly going to be villain material (I'm AWARE he's a villain in the games, but since I still have no experience with them the comic's informing me more than anything) but I really like the position he's in here as someone X can look up to. If we do get an X series at some point, I hope Sigma stays on the side of good for an extended period of time, I want this dynamic established as a status quo for a while.

Artwork for the four issues is also really good. Pepper's artwork is leagues above his work in Shadow Fall, particularly when Jampole did breakdowns for 39 and 40. Best work I've seen out of him in a long time. I also remarked on the solid inking, Austin really stands out as the weakest inker on staff when Amash and Martin are doing such better work in Universe and Mega Man.

So on a technical standpoint, this has been a really solid arc. But the thing that makes it all fall apart is the story department. NOTHING happened these past four issues. Rock and X find Wily Spider. Rock and X spend three issues fighting Wily Spider. THE END. Now to be fair, there was the Xander Payne story going on in the background, and getting to know the X cast is fine and dandy, but those were not enough to carry the issues. I feel really glad I decided to marathon this, because I'd feel a lot more sore about all this I'm sure if I had read these a month apart. There is just not enough plot here to carry this story line, and I hate to think of this being presented in a graphic novel down the line. The Return of Dr. Wily had about 6-7 issues worth of plot crammed into 4 resulting in unnecessarily fast pacing. This feels like half an issue stretched into four. By far my new least favorite arc since the book started as a result.

But it did what it was supposed to do and got me interested in Mega Man X, though not terribly more so than The X Factor already had. If Archie puts out an X ongoing I'll be interested in checking it out, until then back to reading Mega Man 41 and getting back to the plot.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby Archdeco » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:42 am

I'm only just now realizing, but was the sequence with Xander at the end meant to be a sorta-homage to the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths?

Archdeco
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:01 pm

I remember reading there was a storyline where he gained the power to revive erased characters in one issue and the heroes he fought had to fight off the retconned characters.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Zack_GLC » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:44 pm

I'm sorry for bumping, but I was looking through the Fan Art Winners. If Jaime L., the one that did the Shampoo ad, is on bumbleking, bravo to you. I died laughing.
Zack_GLC
BumbleNoble

Previous

Return to For Everlasting Peace!