What Happened to the Aliens and Time Travel

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: What Happened to the Aliens and Time Travel

Postby Gonzo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:21 am

Ian Flynn wrote:Some stuff I've specifically been told not to use (Rockman & Forte 2).

How come you can adapt SAR and reference Gold Empire but can't touch RnF2, which isn't really that different from either of those? Does it have to do with Bandai, or is it just arbitrary cherry-picking on Capcom's part?
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:55 am

I don't see how there's a problem with ownership. the dimensions were apparently mentioned all over the place in ZX advent
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:53 pm

I would guess that there are certain things Capcom just doesn't want utilized in the comic; Sega's been the same way about allowing the use of characters like Black Doom, Mephiles, and Eggman Nega. Some companies just get touchy about certain products that they put out, for whatever reasons.

Personally, I would be most disappointed if Rockman Strategy-or at least the original characters it introduces-aren't somehow included in the book; I find the game fairly fascinating. The idea of the PC games not getting adapted I could live with,
Spoiler: show
though I think they would be a great option for FCBD issues or something like that.
As for Challengers from the Future...can't say I'd mind if it didn't get adapted. Mega Man Shadow just seems like he was an attempt to redo Quint and make him more cool, and none of the other enemies seem particularly impressive.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Razorsaw » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:43 am

Because Mega Man X is all about faking a realism approach with grimdark tones.

Have we completely devalued the term "grimdark" yet?

The word you're looking for is that X is attempting a more serious tone. It's not "grimdark" in the slightest.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby Spin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:16 am

Razorsaw wrote:
Because Mega Man X is all about faking a realism approach with grimdark tones.

Have we completely devalued the term "grimdark" yet?

The word you're looking for is that X is attempting a more serious tone. It's not "grimdark" in the slightest.

No, the word is there. You just have to actually bother to read.

Serious tone = realism approach. Grimdark is just the icing on the X cake. Ah yes, because X5 was nothing but peaches and cream.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby diamonddeath » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:05 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:Something to keep in mind: while I'm all about incorporating as much as possible, there are games that aren't considered part of the game canon:

- Super Rockman Adventure
- Rockman & Forte 2: Challengers of the Future
- the tactical RPG with the Constellation Droids
- the awful PC ports with Shark Man and the like
- the Monopoly-esque board game

Obviously, I've been allowed to use some of this. (e.g. Ra Moon, Mayor L. Derado) Some stuff I've specifically been told not to use (Rockman & Forte 2). But when trying to rationalize the time travel and alien elements, or lack thereof, you should consider that most of the alien encounters and time travel didn't happen as far as the main series is concerned.

I love how you've been incorporating elements from those games. While I'm sure a lot of us would prefer full adaptations, are you only giving us pieces because you were told not to fully adapt those games? And with Challenger from the Future, are you not allowed to use any material from it at all, or are you just not allowed to fully adapt it?
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby LilacDownDeep » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:42 am

Ian Flynn wrote:Obviously, I've been allowed to use some of this. (e.g. Ra Moon, Mayor L. Derado) Some stuff I've specifically been told not to use (Rockman & Forte 2). But when trying to rationalize the time travel and alien elements, or lack thereof, you should consider that most of the alien encounters and time travel didn't happen as far as the main series is concerned.

*sobs* There goes my hopes and dreams for a nice adaptation of the game.

As for the actual alien thing, after Mega Man took on SUNGOD you think the aliens would want absolutely nothing to do with Earth. Sungod was considered a warlord machine who tried to conquer the universe. If a measly backwater planet managed to destroy him, then yeah.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:40 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:Obviously, I've been allowed to use some of this. (e.g. Ra Moon, Mayor L. Derado) Some stuff I've specifically been told not to use (Rockman & Forte 2). But when trying to rationalize the time travel and alien elements, or lack thereof, you should consider that most of the alien encounters and time travel didn't happen as far as the main series is concerned.

Huh. Have to say I'm a bit confused by this, because that page in #20 seemed to be a very clear reference to the game.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sunwalker » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:41 pm

Mega Man Monthly wrote:

Huh. Have to say I'm a bit confused by this, because that page in #20 seemed to be a very clear reference to the game.

The green robot on that page was never said to be Rockman Shadow. Or named, for that matter.

In my opinion R-Shadow was drawn in a way that he can ambiguously looks like Quint. So if any trouble arises, it can just be said that he is Quint again and let it be.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby EvilEddie » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:56 pm

There's also the possibility the page was drawn before Capcom nixed Challengers from the Future.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby SurrealBrain » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:19 pm

I'm wondering if Ian has some sort of plan for it, since he already referenced it. Since the hints are already there, I don't see Ian as the sort to just ignore them.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:48 am

SurrealBrain wrote:I'm wondering if Ian has some sort of plan for it, since he already referenced it. Since the hints are already there, I don't see Ian as the sort to just ignore them.

perhaps it was to drum up interest. there has been rumblings ever since it came to light that the game is off-limits, maybe the fan demand will make capcom change their mind?

Hah!
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby LilacDownDeep » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:12 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
SurrealBrain wrote:I'm wondering if Ian has some sort of plan for it, since he already referenced it. Since the hints are already there, I don't see Ian as the sort to just ignore them.

perhaps it was to drum up interest. there has been rumblings ever since it came to light that the game is off-limits, maybe the fan demand will make capcom change their mind?

Hah!

Please don't give me hope. ;A; I'm already losing faith right here.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby The Bored » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:24 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:

Hah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIgfiSzCy1o
The Bored
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:56 pm

The Bored wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:

Hah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIgfiSzCy1o

Missing the "you're serious?" at the end. I was waiting for it, and was left disappointed, but I understand why it wasn't there.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!