What Happened to the Aliens and Time Travel

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

What Happened to the Aliens and Time Travel

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:03 pm

With an X book all but confirmed at this point, it got me thinking (and well, others, since a thread I read elsewhere inspired me to make the thread here) "what happened to the aliens?"

Teh Classic series shows aliens invading pretty much every other week. Not only that, but Duo is some kind of evil-destroying Robot, but he doesn't care to check on Earth now that it's overrun with a blatantly evil virus?

also why is time travel no longer a thing? They had a working Prototype in Mega Man II GB, and dudes came from the future to attack the past in Mega Man & Bass: Challengers from the future. Why did all research in time travel stop?

I don't really want fan ideas, I just want to know if you think we'll ever cover that sort of stuff, or do you think even a comic book for Mega Man X won't touch that subject?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Re: What Happened to the Aliens and Time Travel

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:38 am

Well judging from the fact that Dr. Cain finds Dr. Light's lab in ruins, I would say that it's possible some kind of catastrophic event occurred between the classic and X series. I mean, while we're discussing missing elements, why are none of the Robot Masters still around? The most likely explanation seems to be that they-perhaps like Duo, the Constellations (from Rockman Strategy), and other alien elements-succumbed either to battle or the ravages of time. Of course with Duo, he might have traveled so far from Earth that he has no idea what's going on, or may be swamped by problems on his own world if he's still around.

As for time travel, it seems likely that research on it would either have been halted due to the aforementioned possible catastrophe or perhaps due to fear that Wily or some other maniac would use it in a dangerous fashion. The events of the game that featured Rockman Shadow would certainly be convincing reason to discontinue time travel research-people would want to prevent such events from coming to pass again.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Spin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:37 am

Because Mega Man X is all about faking a realism approach with grimdark tones.

If Mega Man X did stuff like aliens and time travel, it'd be taking a page from classic Mega Man. Which is what Capcom was trying to distance themselves from.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Damo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:06 am

Time Travel: Time Travel has become unstable. Eddie's In The Time Stream.

Aliens: The solar system of Sol is a quarantine zone. After all the crap that's gone on with Earth, no intelligent life form would go anywhere near it.

Think about it, if you were an alien and knew about everything that had happened to the planet, what would you do?

Earth: Not Even Once.
Damo
BumbleKnight

Postby Acrosurge » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:15 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:I don't really want fan ideas, I just want to know if you think we'll ever cover that sort of stuff, or do you think even a comic book for Mega Man X won't touch that subject?
I don't see why the issue shouldn't be mentioned. And perhaps the answer isn't even that difficult.

Many of the alien robots that have come to Earth have been dealt with by Mega Man and his allies. Even the powerful doomsday robot Sunstar was defeated. Also, the interstellar community may be aware that Earth is not only under Mega Man's protection, but Duo's watch as well. Hence, no other civilization would make a threatening move toward it.

As for why Duo isn't assisting Earth during 21XX, well... Duo is a very perceptive fellow and a confidant of Dr. Light. Perhaps he's aware that X is best capable of dealing with the situations that arise and must do so without interference to draw out his limitless potential. Remember, the original Mega Man got along just fine without Duo's assistance, even with large scale threats like Ra Moon, the Star Droids, and the Roboenza virus. Or, perhaps Duo is on the other side of the universe, retired, or even obsolete.

When it comes to time-travel, there is a contemporary technology in 21XX that has been made illegal by law: DNA Resurrection. It is illegal for reploids (and apparently humans) to bring dead reploids back to life using their DNA. Perhaps, because of the dangers inherent in time travel, similar laws were put in place to forbid its research and use. Accordingly, all time manipulation research may have been destroyed. Of course, this doesn't explain why Sigma isn't pursuing it, since he doesn't care about the law, as demonstrated by his adept abilities at DNA Resurrections. But perhaps he did pursue time travel for a while when he was creating Necrobat, a Maverick with the ability to stop time. In time, Sigma might have become less concerned with destroying or erasing X and Zero and more interested in harnessing their limitless potential power (as in X5, X7).

Sorry, Mavrickindigo, you said you didn't want fan ideas, but my mind started working with the information we've been given in the games.
Acrosurge
BumbleFan

Postby Tcat » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:38 am

Because we all know how well time travel works with the series already :P

I'm fine without the whole aliens thing. It kind of annoyed me in the classic series to begin with. And as much as I love the Stardroids, "alien robots!" is REALLY kind of stupid when you think about it.

We've already seen Xander bouncing around time, so hopefully someone was smart enough to go "nope! nope nope nope! This is a bad idea" and tossed the plans in the trash.
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:47 am

My Brothers opinion. "The world goes through like 4 apocalypses in Zero the aliens weren't getting involved in all that."

I'm fine without the whole aliens thing. It kind of annoyed me in the classic series to begin with. And as much as I love the Stardroids, "alien robots!" is REALLY kind of stupid when you think about it.

Eh, it's no dumber than anything else in this series. If you can accept Sentient Robots why not Robot Aliens? It's not anymore far fetched really.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Penguin God » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:57 am

Do we even know of aliens that they'd need to meet anyway? The Stardroids all die, and they're from an already ancient long gone civilization. Same with Ra Moon. The only living alien we've seen is Duo, and he clearly doesn't care that much about Earth when Evil Energy isn't involved.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:39 pm

Something to keep in mind: while I'm all about incorporating as much as possible, there are games that aren't considered part of the game canon:

- Super Rockman Adventure
- Rockman & Forte 2: Challengers of the Future
- the tactical RPG with the Constellation Droids
- the awful PC ports with Shark Man and the like
- the Monopoly-esque board game

Obviously, I've been allowed to use some of this. (e.g. Ra Moon, Mayor L. Derado) Some stuff I've specifically been told not to use (Rockman & Forte 2). But when trying to rationalize the time travel and alien elements, or lack thereof, you should consider that most of the alien encounters and time travel didn't happen as far as the main series is concerned.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Frankly, it always surprised me that Earth didn't look like the Three Mile Island of the galaxy in X5, with Duo and every other space cop around coming to try to control the thing.

Heck, I (and I believe others) thought that's what High Max was originally there for in X6, seeing as he felt somewhat reminiscent of Duo.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mavrickindigo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:Something to keep in mind: while I'm all about incorporating as much as possible, there are games that aren't considered part of the game canon:

- Super Rockman Adventure
- Rockman & Forte 2: Challengers of the Future
- the tactical RPG with the Constellation Droids
- the awful PC ports with Shark Man and the like
- the Monopoly-esque board game

Obviously, I've been allowed to use some of this. (e.g. Ra Moon, Mayor L. Derado) Some stuff I've specifically been told not to use (Rockman & Forte 2). But when trying to rationalize the time travel and alien elements, or lack thereof, you should consider that most of the alien encounters and time travel didn't happen as far as the main series is concerned.

Man doing that Rockman Shadow hint in issue 20 just seems cruel at this point.

Are the PC games off-limits?

Fan idea:
Spoiler: show
though, having Quint with a group of OC robot masters might be cool
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby EvilEddie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:16 pm

Spin wrote:Because Mega Man X is all about faking a realism approach with grimdark tones.

If Mega Man X did stuff like aliens and time travel, it'd be taking a page from classic Mega Man. Which is what Capcom was trying to distance themselves from.

See also the fact the plot of Mega Man X 8 makes such a huge deal about travelling to the Moon when Wily had space ships in all the Game Boy games but 3, and the NES 3 game was set on mining worlds.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby Zan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:22 pm

@Ian Flynn:
"Super Adventure" is an in-house Capcom product. The only things hurting canon status are its lack of worldwide localization and Inafune apologizing for the violence portrayed within; neither of which should hold any real bearing. I can understand your position as writer of an English adaptation of the series, dealing primarily with Capcom USA, but I would very much contest the non-canon claim when it comes to the Japanese side of things.

If anything, the game most compares to "Rockman's Soccer", "Battle & Chase", "The Power Battle", "The Power Fighters", etc. Less so to "Rockman & Forte: Challenger from the Future" (notice there's no 2 in the title, btw?) and the other titles you've mentioned.
Zan
BumbleFan

Postby lalalei2001 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:04 pm

Inafune and Capcom as a whole disowned the game.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:48 am

lalalei2001 wrote:Inafune and Capcom as a whole disowned the game.

Pretty sure it's been included in timelines and MMOCW, among other things over the years. That's pretty far from disowned.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!