Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:52 pm

Have at it, Mega-Fans.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing
 
Posts: 5837
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:11 pm

Re: Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Tylinos » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:17 pm

This one felt a lot more like an X comic than a normal Mega Man comic this time, mostly since Mega Man was only on a whole two pages apart from Xander's bit where he thought X was Mega Man. That kind of helped, though, since it gave Ian a chance to show off a lot more of X and the Maverick Hunters this time. I liked that, especially the whole part with Vile "stopping" the Wily Walker.

The problem I had, though, was the abruptness of Xander leaving. It felt almost like "Okay, he's met X, time to move on now." Something about it just didn't work for me. Same with his mini-speech to the other arrested people.

While I'm having fun with the story, I keep feeling like it could've waited until between Mega Man 3 and 4. Sure, the Wily bits are nice, but the story can still work without him being there. It feels like Mega Man's holding off on getting the Energy Elements back just so we can have some Mega Man 4 and X setup. It's weird.
User avatar
Tylinos
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:43 am

Re: Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Gonzo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:24 pm

I guess this shouldn't actually be surprising, but what got me was that they actually showed a civilian's corpse (in silhouette, but).
User avatar
Gonzo
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:09 am

Re: Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Frontier » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:10 pm

Tylinos wrote:The problem I had, though, was the abruptness of Xander leaving. It felt almost like "Okay, he's met X, time to move on now." Something about it just didn't work for me. Same with his mini-speech to the other arrested people.

I was under the impression that everyone else in that truck barring Xander were just survivors, since only Xander was handcuffed of the group and they seemed shocked he'd gotten arrested during the chaos. But yeah, I was also expecting Xander to do a little more in this arc overall. In the end it seemed like the purpose of his trip to the future was just to make him more unhinged and driven as an antagonist, and willing to go even farther in his methods to prevent the MMX future from taking place. I guess we'll see just how much he's changed, if at all, when Emerald Spears makes a comeback in the present.

So now Cossack has a legitimate reason for weaponizing the rest of the MM4 Robot Masters, at least the ones that don't end up being built just to defeat Mega Man, and now the MM4 arc is shaping up to be quite ironic...

It was nice seeing X in action, moreso than in past issues, and evidently he was quite capable even before he became a Maverick Hunter. I also like how the dynamic between X, Zero, and Vile is written, and I would definitely love to see how Ian would develop it in a Mega Man X ongoing :D .

I'm really looking forward to seeing Sigma in action for the next issue :) .

Did the Wily Walker register Zero as a Wily Number, and that's why it didn't attack him until he provoked it?

So while there's been some foreshadowing to future game adaptions and arcs, overall this arc seems like it's been more of a "pilot" for a Mega Man X ongoing than the previous back-ups.
Frontier
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:41 am

Re: Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Tylinos » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:23 pm

Sonic Wind wrote:
Tylinos wrote:The problem I had, though, was the abruptness of Xander leaving. It felt almost like "Okay, he's met X, time to move on now." Something about it just didn't work for me. Same with his mini-speech to the other arrested people.

I was under the impression that everyone else in that truck barring Xander were just survivors, since only Xander was handcuffed of the group and they seemed shocked he'd gotten arrested during the chaos.

Looking back, yeah, you're right. I misread what the blonde lady said and thought she meant she was arrested too. I probably should've realized Xander was the only one there in handcuffs. Sorry about that.
User avatar
Tylinos
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:43 am

Re: Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Radz the Hedgehog » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Sonic Wind wrote:Did the Wily Walker register Zero as a Wily Number, and that's why it didn't attack him until he provoked it?

That seemed to be implied. It could have just been he had less firepower though and was deemed a leaser threat. More than likely it just detected some signal all Wily's bit give off to differential between friend and for though.
User avatar
Radz the Hedgehog
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:43 pm
Location: Hidden Palace

Re: Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:44 pm

It feels like Mega Man's holding off on getting the Energy Elements back just so we can have some Mega Man 4 and X setup. It's weird.

Wily led Mega Man to believe that the Robot Masters could have been down in there hiding out.
User avatar
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 6309
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA

Re: Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Tylinos » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:11 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
It feels like Mega Man's holding off on getting the Energy Elements back just so we can have some Mega Man 4 and X setup. It's weird.

Wily led Mega Man to believe that the Robot Masters could have been down in there hiding out.

I know. I'm just saying it feels like the story would've worked just as well after MM3, that's all. I'm still enjoying either way.
User avatar
Tylinos
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:43 am

Re: Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:27 pm

Tylinos wrote:While I'm having fun with the story, I keep feeling like it could've waited until between Mega Man 3 and 4.


If it explains why Wily uses the Wily Machine that he does in MM3, then it makes pretty good sense to be placed here.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
User avatar
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite
 
Posts: 10987
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Balloon Fight Arena

Re: Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:37 am

Tylinos wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:
It feels like Mega Man's holding off on getting the Energy Elements back just so we can have some Mega Man 4 and X setup. It's weird.

Wily led Mega Man to believe that the Robot Masters could have been down in there hiding out.

I know. I'm just saying it feels like the story would've worked just as well after MM3, that's all. I'm still enjoying either way.

Wily couldn't mess with Cossack after 3, because after 3, he's presumed dead.
User avatar
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 6309
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA

Re: Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:13 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Tylinos wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:
It feels like Mega Man's holding off on getting the Energy Elements back just so we can have some Mega Man 4 and X setup. It's weird.

Wily led Mega Man to believe that the Robot Masters could have been down in there hiding out.

I know. I'm just saying it feels like the story would've worked just as well after MM3, that's all. I'm still enjoying either way.

Wily couldn't mess with Cossack after 3, because after 3, he's presumed dead.


Unless they aren't going that route. I mean if Mega Man #20 is to be belived the next adaptation is the Mega Man II mixed with The Wily Wars (That was where the Genesis Unit are from right?) and maybe a few other GB games. It'd be a little hard for Wily to fake his death for that.

Anyway greatly enjoyed the issue. It's very obvious that Flynn wants to write an X book and hopefully that happens.

Yes Vile "Might" have killed a bunch of people by firing on a Bridge filled with heavy traffic. Some People totally didn't die in that. Holy Crap How'd They Get Away With That?

Xander I guess was using an early version of the Time Skimmer? I don't know my Mega Man Knowledge is pretty Comic Exclusive but I think that's what's going on here?

I noticed Ryan Jampole helped out on penciles. I'm going to assume tha Jamal's health issues sturred back up and leave it alone. The Art is still really good either way.

Can't wait to see the end of this arc and I hope there's an X book in the near future.
User avatar
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen
 
Posts: 12370
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:12 pm
Location: Angel Grove, CA

Re: Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:03 pm

I find the "might" parts kinda annoying, especially after X looks at the obviously dead guy (by the fact that you only see his shadowed outline, hanging upside down in the car with his mouth agape) to be pretty annoying.

What, is X so out of tune of what a human is that he can't recognize a corpse and has to cover his bases by being polite and saying "well, MAYBE he's dead, but I don't know." I understand some companies involved may not want actual homocide in their books, but it was still written really awkwardly. You can allude to death while not being so unnatural about how you say it. And even going with "Might" could have been good, if we didn't see a guy who was pretty much kinda/sorta confirmed dead.
User avatar
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 6309
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: USA

Re: Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Tylinos » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Tylinos wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:
It feels like Mega Man's holding off on getting the Energy Elements back just so we can have some Mega Man 4 and X setup. It's weird.

Wily led Mega Man to believe that the Robot Masters could have been down in there hiding out.

I know. I'm just saying it feels like the story would've worked just as well after MM3, that's all. I'm still enjoying either way.

Wily couldn't mess with Cossack after 3, because after 3, he's presumed dead.

I was talking about the main plot, not every single thing in the story. Like I said in my first post, the Wily parts have been fun, but the plot doesn't hinge on them happening.
User avatar
Tylinos
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:43 am

Re: Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby TurboTailz » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Gonzo wrote:I guess this shouldn't actually be surprising, but what got me was that they actually showed a civilian's corpse (in silhouette, but).


Actually the silhouette was in a position trying to crawl out the car while looking at X saving Xander Payne from falling.

Nevertheless seeing Sigma, X, Zero and my favorite Vile in a panel together was super cool.
User avatar
TurboTailz
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1437
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:33 am

Re: Mega Man #39 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Gonzo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:19 pm

TurboTailz wrote:
Gonzo wrote:I guess this shouldn't actually be surprising, but what got me was that they actually showed a civilian's corpse (in silhouette, but).


Actually the silhouette was in a position trying to crawl out the car while looking at X saving Xander Payne from falling.

No, that guy was dead. Otherwise he wouldn't be in silhouette and X wouldn't be cursing Vile for his actions.
User avatar
Gonzo
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:09 am

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests