Mega Man #41 Covers and Solicit

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #41 Covers and Solicit

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:20 pm

At long last, we get Mega Man 3. I must say, the way Ian's played the series has definitely been appealing-having Super Adventure Rockman take place between MM2 and MM3 was a stroke of genius and a great way of getting things set up. I'm curious what's going to happen with Mega Man X; will there be a stand-alone book, or is it just going to take the back seat during arcs where there's not an actual Mega Man game being adapted for the time being?
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Astrobot7000 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:00 pm

Hmmm... I am still skeptical that this is going to be good. Archie's previous game adaptations have been terrible. The original content was excellent, but the MM1 and 2 stories were very poor. However, the hybrid adaption os SAR was very good (except for the filler issue 31). It all stems from so much being forced into a 4-issue container that it definitely should not be in and having enough room to tell the story. SAR had enough time to tell its story in the background of other issues along with a prologue and an epilogue issue. So, I am still skeptical that any game adaption can be crammed into four issues (I hardly count last issue as a prologue to the Mega Man 3 story, but I suppose it could be if you look at it the right way). I hope my skeptism is without merit though. I hope there is more Mega Man 3 background build up during the Dawn of X too so that I am proven totally wrong. I really do want to be proven wrong on this account. :D
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Ochan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:Hmmm... I am still skeptical that this is going to be good. Archie's previous game adaptations have been terrible. The original content was excellent, but the MM1 and 2 stories were very poor. However, the hybrid adaption os SAR was very good (except for the filler issue 31). It all stems from so much being forced into a 4-issue container that it definitely should not be in and having enough room to tell the story. SAR had enough time to tell its story in the background of other issues along with a prologue and an epilogue issue. So, I am still skeptical that any game adaption can be crammed into four issues (I hardly count last issue as a prologue to the Mega Man 3 story, but I suppose it could be if you look at it the right way). I hope my skeptism is without merit though. I hope there is more Mega Man 3 background build up during the Dawn of X too so that I am proven totally wrong. I really do want to be proven wrong on this account. :D

By "original content" do you mean the original elements within the MM1 and MM2 adaptations that weren't in the games (i.e. Rock's moral dilemma and subsequent power craze in the first game, Rock getting corrupted in the second game)?

I tend to be not heavily critical of the early issues since Ian was just getting a feel for the characters and the world. We also don't know if Capcom put any restrictions on the length of time the story had to be told. I've noticed with American comics a 4-part arc is usually the norm especially with series that are just starting out. Still he was able to bring in a lot of elements is those issues that would lay the foundation for many of the later story arcs. I do agree that the adaptations were very fast paced but the pacing didn't make those adaptations any less enjoyable to me. It also helps that Spaz and Bates worked on them respectively.
Ochan
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Everytime I read "The Adaptations of Mega Man 1 and 2 were horrible" I always wonder what was so horrible about them. I've reread those arcs several times and everytime I love them.

Sure the Arcs are light on action but there's so much more going on than just fighting the Robot Masters. I swear most people seem like they won't be happy unless every game adaptation was 24 issues long and showed every moment of every stage and every fight crammed into 20 pages.

Sometimes you need to put "Fight scenes" lower on the priorites of a narretive.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Been a Mega Man fan for 27 years, and I found the adaptations of the first two games (and figuring out how to squeeze Time Man and Oil Man from Powered Up in as well) quite enjoyable.

Perfect? No, but I didn't find the truncated format hindered my enjoyment very much, if at all. I'd love to see expanded versions, but I think MM2 went even better than the first, given that the need for setup exposition for the entire series wasn't there. And I loved the twist at the end.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Astrobot7000 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:08 pm

I could restate old arguments, but I have done it many times and I am no longer interested in debating the points on this board when everyone's minds (including my own) are already made up about it either way. I think the Mega Man comic is Ian's best product, much superior to Sonic, and that his writing in it has improved tremendously. I am skepitcal of future game adaptations, but I am also hopeful based on how much I enjoyed the handling of Super Adventure Rockman. I think that's as fair of a chance as anyone could give.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Frontier » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:15 am

Personally, while I enjoyed both adaptions, I think the Mega Man 2 adaption handled the Robot Master fights much better than the first game adaption. While conversely, I felt the final fight with Wily was handled better in the first compared to the second. If Ian's able to handle both serviceably for the MM3 adaption, then I'd say the third time really is the charm :D .

Though one of the things I'm really looking forward to in the adaption, and am hoping gets an adequate amount of focus, is Mega Man's rematch with Break Man.
Frontier
BumbleFan

Postby lalalei2001 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:27 am

I can't wait for ANY of the Break Man fights. If you play Gemini Man's stage last, it's like he has character development, too!
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:32 am

Personally I highly doubt 3 will be done in 4 issues. "Legends of The Blue Bomber" is Solicited as the beginning of the Mega Man 3 adaptation. I can't help but feel it'll be a little longer than the first two.

Especially since 3 and up don't have a lot of stuff that can be so easily dropped.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby LilacDownDeep » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:01 am

Plus, MM3 has the Robot Masters, and then there's Dokurobotto and finally Dr. Wily to deal with. It'll be pretty long.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:32 am

Yeah, we at least know the Doc Robots are going to appear since they've already been foreshadowed.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:13 pm

SonicSoul wrote:Yeah, we at least know the Doc Robots are going to appear since they've already been foreshadowed.

Seems to me like its just going to be one Doc robot.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby N'egga Man » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:29 am

I'm curious about how the Doc Robot sequences will play out. Unless I'm mistaken, aren't the MM2 Robot Masters still running, or were they taken out by Ra Moon?
N'egga Man
BumbleFan

Postby Frontier » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:05 pm

I'm pretty sure they've been working off-screen on the new Wily Castle, they were likely the "other brothers" that the MM3 Robot Masters mentioned.
Frontier
BumbleFan

Postby SonicWindAttack » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:08 pm

Like everyone else, I can't help but feel skeptical about another 4-parter... but I'm still really looking forward to this arc. I'm sure Ian's got something up his sleeve, after all of the foreshadowing MM3 has gotten.
SonicWindAttack
BumbleFan

Previous

Return to For Everlasting Peace!