If we do get an X book...

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

If we do get an X book...

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue May 06, 2014 6:47 pm

...I'm pretty sure we're all in agreement that Archie CANNOT properly cram the first game into four issues. ideally I would love to see each Maverick get at least one issue dedicated to them before they get offed. There's so much material for each of them, and unlike the classic series,t here should be no rush to get through adaptations to get to the good parts, because arguably the earliest games are the best in the series.

How can we insure that the X book (if it happens) gets legitmate time for the stories?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Re: If we do get an X book...

Postby Penguin God » Tue May 06, 2014 8:52 pm

As much as four issues is short, a single Maverick Hunter every issue for nearly a year sounds like a huge drag. Storm Eagle's great, but Flame Mammoth and Launch Octopus do not excite me THAT hugely.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue May 06, 2014 8:55 pm

Penguin God wrote:As much as four issues is short, a single Maverick Hunter every issue for nearly a year sounds like a huge drag. Storm Eagle's great, but Flame Mammoth and Launch Octopus do not excite me THAT hugely.

I'm sure ian can do something intersting with them. I mean, if not for what they are as characters, but what X winds up doing fighting them.

Storm Eagle's ship crashes into Spark mandril's power plant. What does that do to Sigma's forces?

How about Wheel Gator. X is infiltrating a giant battle tank that has super powerful robot ride armors inside it, and that battle tank is rolling through the city!

Magna Centipede was a maverick hunter trying to find out about the Mavericks, but got captured and reprogrammed

and lets not forget the tears that will come when we get around to Gravity Beetle.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue May 06, 2014 9:00 pm

Mav I sometimes wonder do you think about pacing?

I mean yeah there's screentime to think about but at the same time you have to think about how it would work from a narrative stand point. An eight issue arc would not work like at all. It would be horrendously paced and you have to think about trades.

I believe the cut off for trades is 6 issues. that should be good enough for game adaptations. Or do what the main book does and tell big stories in multiple shorter arcs.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Penguin God » Tue May 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Penguin God wrote:As much as four issues is short, a single Maverick Hunter every issue for nearly a year sounds like a huge drag. Storm Eagle's great, but Flame Mammoth and Launch Octopus do not excite me THAT hugely.

I'm sure ian can do something intersting with them. I mean, if not for what they are as characters, but what X winds up doing fighting them.

Storm Eagle's ship crashes into Spark mandril's power plant. What does that do to Sigma's forces?

How about Wheel Gator. X is infiltrating a giant battle tank that has super powerful robot ride armors inside it, and that battle tank is rolling through the city!

Magna Centipede was a maverick hunter trying to find out about the Mavericks, but got captured and reprogrammed

and lets not forget the tears that will come when we get around to Gravity Beetle.

So is it that they all deserve an issue each, or just that they should have an issue each because otherwise it's too short? You said this was about giving it good pacing, but now you're advocating they stretch things out needlessly just to make a longer formula. What's the actual goal?
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby RadRed89 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:24 pm

I think Ian once said that his best scenario for the first X game would be to put it into six issues. Compared to four issues like we've had for the Classic games so far, that'd be a big improvement. In the case of X1, that'd give us four issues for the Mavericks, and two for Sigma's base, if he wanted to do it that way.
RadRed89
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed May 07, 2014 1:01 am

Don't forget the intro stage, one of the more narrative-heavy parts of the game.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Spin » Wed May 07, 2014 3:25 am

But reploids have feels, and when X/Zero terminates them. They cease to be.

Don't know about you guys but I don't want to see the Mavericks treated like Robot Masters. With the exception of the Xtreme adaptions, once a Maverick is destroyed. I don't want to see him again. Bad enough we got Zero pulling the revival stunt. And Vile is at least deserving of such special treatment.

If there's time to develop a character, I say do it early on. So there's more of an impact and the comic doesn't suffer through boggling down the book with the same old free willed killing machines returning every week to cause havoc.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby Sonicpolo » Wed May 07, 2014 6:39 am

If we do get an X book. I would think the first arc should revolve around Sigma starting his rebellion against the humans, (If Dawn of X doesn't get to it) and the opening stage of X1.

as for the pacing of the games, I trust that Ian will make it work after writing for Mega Man for almost 40 issues.
Also I think that X and Zero should share time on fighting Mavericks. Maybe not for X1-X3 but soon after.
Sonicpolo
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed May 07, 2014 7:02 am

Penguin God wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:

So is it that they all deserve an issue each, or just that they should have an issue each because otherwise it's too short? You said this was about giving it good pacing, but now you're advocating they stretch things out needlessly just to make a longer formula. What's the actual goal?

You're thinking too small. There shouldn't be an "Mega Man X" arc, all the games should get the Sonic Unleashed treatment, where they are one mega adaptation made up of smaller arcs. We have so much we have to cover in the first X game alone.

*X's journey from weak to strong and personal quest to defeat Vile
*X's struggle to kill his former comrades
*Zero's quest throughout the game (he was doing SOMETHING while X was fighting the Mavericks, lets see what that was.
*The motivations of each individual Maverick and what led them to become what they were
*How humanity is dealing with what's going on (something we really do need to see)
*Dr. Cain's reactions to his new world going to heck.
*Sigma dealing with the virus inside him
*Vile's quest to show he's the most powerful/doesn't need anyone to be better than Zero (and X, but I don't really like Mega Man X Maverick Hunter, but we can take it or leave it)

And would we shove Mega Man X4 into six issues when that has
*A Maverick Hunter who turns traitor just to fight X or Zero
*Former Maverick Hunters that personally fought alongside Zero
*Strange missions undertaken by the likes of Split Mushroom and CYber Peacock that have nothing to do with the repliforce rebellion
*the actual construction and original assignments of Repliforce
*Meeting iris for the first time
*double's initiation into the Maverick Hunters and then his betrayal
*Zero learning about his past
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Astrobot7000 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:11 am

I agree that the Classic's game adaptations have been poor at best. I was most likely one of the most vocal critics on this board during the earlier stories. The pacing and story structures left a tremendous amount to be desires. They had so much content crammed into such little space. But the good news is that seems to be changing. Mega Man has had some breathing room. The Ra Moon arc experimented with covering content outside of four issues. The Mega Man 3 story is taking its time begining and establishing its plot background and the creation of its Robot Masters. The Mega Man book is improving with every issue and right now is far superior product to the Sonic book (even though I grew up loving Sonic and not Mega Man). Mega Man can only improve from here. Any lessons learned would certainly be brought over to an X book.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Wed May 07, 2014 10:07 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Penguin God wrote:So is it that they all deserve an issue each, or just that they should have an issue each because otherwise it's too short? You said this was about giving it good pacing, but now you're advocating they stretch things out needlessly just to make a longer formula. What's the actual goal?

You're thinking too small. There shouldn't be an "Mega Man X" arc, all the games should get the Sonic Unleashed treatment, where they are one mega adaptation made up of smaller arcs. We have so much we have to cover in the first X game alone.

*X's journey from weak to strong and personal quest to defeat Vile
*X's struggle to kill his former comrades
*Zero's quest throughout the game (he was doing SOMETHING while X was fighting the Mavericks, lets see what that was.
*The motivations of each individual Maverick and what led them to become what they were
*How humanity is dealing with what's going on (something we really do need to see)
*Dr. Cain's reactions to his new world going to heck.
*Sigma dealing with the virus inside him
*Vile's quest to show he's the most powerful/doesn't need anyone to be better than Zero (and X, but I don't really like Mega Man X Maverick Hunter, but we can take it or leave it)

That's not really comparable, and your list of events really shows off why. Unleashed can be a Background Arc because it's so big that other storylines can happen around it, but the plot of Mega Man X's first game is simple, straightforward and not something you can easily distract from with unrelated plotlines like Ocean Civil War. Heck, half your bullet points there are just "how does x character feel about the game?" With an issue for the intro stage, one for every Maverick, one for Vile, and one for Sigma you've literally got an entire year set up just for Mega Man X1. And that DOESN'T include the setup issues which would go into the X lore before the game, or the Mavericks when they were Maverick Hunters! You're railing against a decent cause as four issues is too short, but in doing so you're demanding a formula that's just as strict but also EVEN WORSE.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed May 07, 2014 10:48 am

Spin wrote:But reploids have feels, and when X/Zero terminates them. They cease to be.

Don't know about you guys but I don't want to see the Mavericks treated like Robot Masters. With the exception of the Xtreme adaptions, once a Maverick is destroyed. I don't want to see him again. Bad enough we got Zero pulling the revival stunt. And Vile is at least deserving of such special treatment.

I rather liked the reanimated corpse "puppet" thing Maverick Hunter X did with the Mavericks.

And without saying too much, I do like how Iwamoto's manga handled each individual Maverick and such.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed May 07, 2014 3:45 pm

I would not mind spending at leat a year on each game. Seriously who is in a hurry to adapt Mega Man X7. There's nothing to catch up to in X. Half of the interesting characters in Mega Man come out later in the series, with X, you get most of the interesting stuff in the beginning
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby FoxsDumbSeriesMaker » Wed May 07, 2014 9:02 pm

I like your concept of seeing what's going on with characters such as Zero, Sigma, and Dr. Cain. It would be cool to see more of what they are doing and how they are handling the issues that they face. Vile in particular is a character I would like to see developed within the issues, since there can be more to him than simply wanting to be better than X and Zero, which is already pretty similar to characters like Quick Man and Bass, and even Sonic characters like Metal Sonic. Y'know, to make the good guys and bad guys not seem so black and white.

However, I still feel that an entire issue with each Maverick would get a little tedious. I understand what you mean by making the characters have more depth by making their levels and situations more interesting and dire. It makes me think that if there was a weekly Mega Man X show, one episode or two would be about X trying to handle the various situations between the stages and Maverick battles. But for a monthly issue? I think it would be best for the adaptations to be six issue arcs, and with some small side stories around it, kind of like the Ra Moon story. That would give some pretty decent time to develop Vile and the Maverick Hunters.
FoxsDumbSeriesMaker
BumbleCitizen

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!