Mega Man #36 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #36 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Hyper Fourze » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:19 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:
Hyper Fourze wrote:I'm also curious about Dawn of X. I don't expect to be the link between MM and X, but it should be an interesting read.

I'm expecting Mega Man to fight a thing, get beaten by it, but it gets stuck underground, then it wakes up in the future and X has to finish it off

Perhaps. I can see something along those lines as well.

I can also see a lot of parallels happening throughout this comic's run. Like...maybe not out and out time travel but more like...it's hard to explain. Say Wily does something in the main stories. I can see Ian making references to that in the X stories. (Finding the ruins of Ra Moon for instance). If there's one thing that Ian knows how to do is flesh out a game's barebones story.
Hyper Fourze
BumbleNewbie

Postby Zan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:56 am

"Wars" is pretty vague.

It isn't really. "Incidents" is instead the preferred term for each game's events. In classic, these incidents occur before the backdrop of peace. In X, they occur before the backdrop of war.

Furthermore, as the description specifies: these machines were neither lost, nor destroyed in combat. They survived the wars they fought, only to get turned to scrap by the very people who used them.
Zan
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:28 pm

Fair enough, though as noted, I still think we've seen more than enough evidence that Ian could and possibly would tweak it to work in such a way, if he so desired, and so we can't rule the possibility out entirely, regardless of what the out-of-game flavor text says.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Thu May 01, 2014 11:22 am

[havent read the other posts yet]

Got my Mega Man 36 today. LOVED the Wily introspective and would love it if he really reformed. (but probably didn't, haha). The problem here is the comic is Mega Man, not Wily. Mega Man should have had a parallel storyline happening or something.

Who the @#$% is that new robot on the table?!? King? It can't be Bass. Too early for Zero since Power Battle hasn't even started yet.

Why does Top Man look flamboyant during that attack phase? Please, please, please don't make him a gay dancer whatnot! I don't want him to be too dangerous but I don't want him to be made fun of just because his name is Top Man.

Love the alpha to beta to gamma explanation. So this issue is the prequel and the next four issues is the arc of game Mega Man 3? Why is Rush injured? He needs to be active here. I'm guessing Wily needs Light distracted and Rock out of the house so he could do work on Gamma. Hope we see Gamma in action! In the game, he was super lame. Just a giant fist and little shots being thrown about.

Flash Man is terrifying! He needs limitations or else he could just do assassination stuff. Man, I would love a scene where he and Time Man face off.
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby Dejimon11 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:06 pm

The name of the robot is "Doc Robot" they're the robots you fight in mega man 3 after you defeat the games robot masters
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby Sonicpolo » Thu May 01, 2014 12:12 pm

FeroMcPigletron wrote:Love the alpha to beta to gamma explanation. So this issue is the prequel and the next four issues is the arc of game Mega Man 3? Why is Rush injured? He needs to be active here.

The reason Rush is injured is because in Mega Man 3 you couldn't use all of Rush's abilities yet. This is Ian's way of making the adaptation feel more like the game than just making Rush able to do everything in the start.
Sonicpolo
BumbleCitizen

Postby FoxsDumbSeriesMaker » Thu May 01, 2014 1:49 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:If we do another time-skip, its just going to show us that Xander Payne is going to survive until after Mega Man 10, which would stifle the writers' creativity on that character.

I really hope they don't do that. An original character like Xander Payne shouldn't even appear in a story in the future, as it'll only spoil the fact that he won't die anytime soon. I don't want him to die (since he's awesome), but it would really take the suspence away from any apprentices he has later on. I'll be thinking "Oh, he's going to blow something up and fight Mega Man? Pfft. It's not I have to be concerned if he dies or not." Where already facing problems like this with characters like Mega Man, Roll, Bass, and Proto Man. When Roll got shot, it was tragic, sure, but we all knew she was going to survive in the end, so it takes away a lot of the tension. This has nothing to do with the writing, but rather our knowledge of the series itself. This problem has also affected other great stuff like Bleach, where you don't even have to worry about the good guys during the Arrancar arc, since you know they'll live by seeing them in the fillers and movies that take place after that arc.

Anyways, this issue was great! I wish the court part was a little longer, but I still loved the issue. Just because the series is named after Mega Man, it doesn't mean that an issue can't be about someone else. The title just lets everyone know that he is the main character. I remember that Sonic issue with Naugus; some people were confused as to why he was the main character, while Sonic only showed up a couple times. It was meant to show what he was going through, and I for one really enjoyed it. The same goes for this issue; Wily actually surprised me by the fact that he's so conflicted. I've always known that he isn't pure evil like, say, Eggman, but I found myself very happy to see that he has the potential to be a good guy, if it wasn't for his greed, jealously, and most of all, his ban from robotics.

I would have liked to see his inner conflict be used for a couple more issues, but at least we're finally getting close to Mega Man 3. I hope the story will last a bit longer and won't feel somewhat rushed like the 1 and 2 adaptations. Phoenix Wright cameo ftw, and what the heck is up with Gamma's head? :P
FoxsDumbSeriesMaker
BumbleCitizen

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Thu May 01, 2014 2:26 pm

Oh, I can answer the Gamma little head thing. In the game, he had two forms. Destroy the little head first then Wily drops down with a new control module. The lower head with the chin stays constant.

I read the past pages and saw the speculation answers.
-Doc Robot! I wouldn't have figured that without seeing the skull face. I wonder if Ian would keep him around, the way Dark Man was kept around as a character in the cartoon?
-limit Rush's abilities? Rush Coil was used in the comic already, right? As a joke/test or something? Rush Marine wasn't used when Roll rescued that damaged boat so that would be new? Ian skipped Items 1 and 3 in favor of multiple Item 2s so why bother with using Rush Coil?

Ooooh gawds, I want the Mega Man 3 arc already! Let Dawn of X be in a Sonic Super Special, er, Mega Mondo Magazine or something.

Btw, I got the Rush Jet cover instead of the Trial of Wily. My alternate interior is some sort of wedge cutting thru Rock's helmet, done in X's time. I swear, if the Trial of Wily has an alternate ending that features the MM3 Robot Masters goofing around with the fuel discs, I'm going to plotz.

I'm NOT a fan of these alternate interiors! I love the extra movie scene idea thing but I hate this ploy.
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby FoxsDumbSeriesMaker » Thu May 01, 2014 10:48 pm

Thanks. I was wondering what was up with that head. When I first saw him, I thought he had an incomplete body shaped like a head, but it turned out to be his actual head. Holy cow! I actually like the Trial of Wily cover WAY more than the original. That cover just looks so boring and basic compared to the alternate. I'm not sue why that one was made a variant compared to the real one. It still shows Mega Man clearly on the front, so I'm not sure.

This might sound a little out there, but I wonder if Plum will get any actual character development during the comic. I think this is the fourth or fifth time we've seen her in the past while, and she still hasn't said a single line of dialogue. At least the robot dude with her said something in the first issue, and even the obscure mayor was given a tiny bit of character. Despite her silent cameos, like in this issue, she seems like an interesting character and I think it would be neat to see who she actually is. To my knowledge, doesn't Quick Man have a crush on her? That would be pretty amusing to see. Ha ha!
FoxsDumbSeriesMaker
BumbleCitizen

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Fri May 02, 2014 12:59 am

You have the wily trial cover? May I ask what the alternative ending is?
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri May 02, 2014 5:10 am

FeroMcPigletron wrote:You have the wily trial cover? May I ask what the alternative ending is?

Spoiler: show
It features the MM3 Robot Masters goofing around with the fuel discs.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby FoxsDumbSeriesMaker » Fri May 02, 2014 10:46 am

FeroMcPigletron wrote:You have the wily trial cover? May I ask what the alternative ending is?

I don't have the variant, but I wish I did.
FoxsDumbSeriesMaker
BumbleCitizen

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Fri May 02, 2014 12:05 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:

Spoiler: show
It features the MM3 Robot Masters goofing around with the fuel discs.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

*plotzed*

I hate you. Haha, just kidding :)

On Rush's game 3 modes, just from memory, I can't remember what Robot Masters activates Marine and Jet. Hard Man and Top Man? I think I can remember the items from game 2 though (item 3 is Flash, item 2 is Air, item 1 is ... Heat?)
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby BlackHawkOmega » Fri May 02, 2014 3:37 pm

It's Shadow and Needle Man.
BlackHawkOmega
BumbleNoble

Postby Axel T Rat » Sat May 03, 2014 1:31 pm

Maneged to get this one fairly early right on FCD. So here's my thoughts on it.

+Ace Attorney homage! All it needs is the confetti when Wily is declared "not guilty"
+A pretty detailed Gamma
+Some hinting towards Doc Robot
+The MM3 hinting in general

=Not a complaint to this comic in particular, but I'm still wondering what the deal with the thing on Gamma's head is.

-Still a little weirded out by Guts Man's lower jaw looking more like a mouth guard
-The alternate ending gimmick again. Least this is the last time I'll have to deal with it
Axel T Rat
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!