Keiji Inafune still wants to make Mega Man Legends 3

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Keiji Inafune still wants to make Mega Man Legends 3

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:49 pm

Maybe, but they sure weren't giving us any indication that the project was in any sort of trouble until it was too late, and just went about cancelling the demo that they told us would help determine the future of the project without any notice. It was effectively the equivalent of shutting down the restaurant after the staff left for the night and before they arrived the next day.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby lalalei2001 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:28 am

Legends 3 wasn't even greenlit when it was canceled. The problem is that everyone knew about it--and no matter what Capcom makes, people will refuse to buy it because it's not Legends 3.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Razorsaw » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:27 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Maybe, but they sure weren't giving us any indication that the project was in any sort of trouble until it was too late, and just went about cancelling the demo that they told us would help determine the future of the project without any notice. It was effectively the equivalent of shutting down the restaurant after the staff left for the night and before they arrived the next day.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

No, it's the equivalent of shutting down the construction of the restaurant after architectural suggestions have been submitted and the foreman quit.

The fact is, showing anything off anything at all was the equivalent of a promise from our perspective, but not so much the hard reality. That's why these things aren't shown off before they're ready, because that's damaging to the company overall. And Inafune admitted several times that this project was his baby, something he had to push to get them to even consider. He was the main force behind getting it greenlit, and there was opposition to it that both Inafune and Capcom representatives have admitted there was a legitimate basis for.

He decided between leaving the community and staying, and, ultimately chose to walk away.

The fact is, no promises were made. The demo version was a plan. As we've all seen on this very forum and Ian's relating his own experiences, plans tend to change. Legends 3 was no more promised to us than the Sonic Underground epilogue. Things fall apart, ultimately.

At the very least, there's grounds for Inafune deserving to be seen as equally responsible the final result. But instead, he gets to walk away and look like Capcom is the big bad bully for canceling the project he ADMITTED he needed to twist their arms to look twice at.

He chose what was more important to him. That should ultimately be respected. But there were consequences. For Capcom. For the fans. For himself, because again - he said this was his dream project. But ultimately striking out on his own was more important to him, but no matter his much he says "I was confident they would have continued without me," I find it hard to believe he legitimately believed that. And that's not calling him a liar, for the record, I'm calling him good at PR... Something we all know he's got experience in the field of.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:14 am

Razorsaw wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Maybe, but they sure weren't giving us any indication that the project was in any sort of trouble until it was too late, and just went about cancelling the demo that they told us would help determine the future of the project without any notice. It was effectively the equivalent of shutting down the restaurant after the staff left for the night and before they arrived the next day.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

No, it's the equivalent of shutting down the construction of the restaurant after architectural suggestions have been submitted and the foreman quit.

I disagree on that particular point, as we were actually in on it and "put to work" in a manner of speaking.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Oakie620 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:21 am

lalalei2001 wrote:Legends 3 wasn't even greenlit when it was canceled. The problem is that everyone knew about it--and no matter what Capcom makes, people will refuse to buy it because it's not Legends 3.

You say it as though Capcom actually made any new Mega Man games beyond Xover (which isn't quite the gold standard for the franchise).
Last edited by Oakie620 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oakie620
BumbleFan

Postby El Veinte » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:23 am

Inafune did what he felt he had to do. The risks to starting a new company are vast, we don't know what the internal politics in Capcom are like (though what bits we hear is rarely ever good), and for better or worse, Inafune felt he had to leave when he did. He was correct in that Legends 3 development continued for over 7 months after his departure and it's only my opinion but I think it was going well even without him. Even the Tohoku earthquake disaster didn't stop it and the game continued on for another full financial quarter. What exactly killed the project we will probably not know for quite some time, but whatever blame Inafune takes for his absence, we ought to consider he was only ever part of the equation.

Inafune says he still wants to make the game, and I don't doubt it. He was saying for years when he was still a part of Capcom. I like that he's reminding people that the game could have another chance if Capcom were willing to work something out. The best chance Legends has is if people are still talking about it, fans still pressuring Capcom and showing interest. Every shout out is a chance for new fans to get into the series. A chance for like-minded developers to rally to its cause. I hope he continues to say it in every interview until the end of time. (Or until it actually gets made.) The game deserves a voice.

Comcept's already got 2 "spiritual successors" to Mega Man going on, I think we should let those settle in before we expect a third. So far Comcept and Inti are playing to their familiar strengths (classic/X and Zero/ZX) and that's probably a good foundation to build from. But I'm not-so-secretly hoping that the reason Legends doesn't have a counterpart yet is because he would rather do the real thing. A stand-in just won't be the same as getting MegaMan off that moon.
El Veinte
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:04 am

Rarely ever good? The insider info we got from Capcom in the past few years included such gems as

Forcing Ono to work so hard he had a heart attack and nearly died
Bullying an employee to the point of nearly committing suicide.
Slashing employees left and right and even cutting out one of the biggest fan advocates in the western PR branch.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby The Bored » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:36 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:Rarely ever good? The insider info we got from Capcom in the past few years included such gems as

Slashing employees left and right and even cutting out one of the biggest fan advocates in the western PR branch.

WHAT!?!?
The Bored
BumbleNoble

Postby RadRed89 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Yeah, that's news to me.
RadRed89
BumbleNoble

Postby Razorsaw » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:09 pm

You'd be surprised at how common this is.

At Capcom. At any studio.

I'm not letting them off the hook, mind you, but. Inafune himself said that one of the things that made western game studios great was that "they were treated like slaves, thus driving them to work harder."

This whole industry is kind of terrible.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen

Postby El Veinte » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:46 pm

Those stories are rather one-sided, though there's not much cause to doubt them. It's still far from a complete picture.

Inafune's gathered quite a bit of ex-Capcom talent with Mighty Number 9, so either those folks believe in Inafune's methods and Comcept's potential for success or they'd just had enough and decided to take a chance anywhere else. If these projects are successful and Capcom gets through this restructuring then who knows what the future can hold. Capcom vs SNK, Mario and Sonic, Project X Zone... Long time rival companies can put aside their antagonism when they need to. With enough time and interest Inafune could be working on Mega Man again someday.
El Veinte
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:44 am

Related.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby NxtWaltDisney » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:59 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:Rarely ever good? The insider info we got from Capcom in the past few years included such gems as

What the...Is this real?! :shock:
NxtWaltDisney
BumbleClan

Postby LilacDownDeep » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:41 pm

Exaggerated or not, It is a concern to see the Japanese VG Industry and their lack of worker limits and breaks. Nobody should be overworked into a heart attack or bullied. I can see their concern though for people who might take days off without any excuses and it happens in quite a few European countries, but still. Balance.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!