Mega Man #35: Spoilers/Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #35: Spoilers/Discussion

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:43 pm

FeroMcPigletron wrote:  Btw, there's got to be a limitation with the teleports or else any bot could just 'port into any location and do assassination work.

I think you need the proper coordinate to teleport to, but teleporting out is another matter entirely.

Case in point:

Spoiler: show
People always ask "why doesn't Mega Man just teleport to the Robot Master?" Ignoring the fact you'd lose 90% of the game that way, I believe it's because they only have a rough idea of where the Robot Master is-- "in that vicinity," basically-- and the levels are basically search and find. Hunts, if you will, perhaps akin to what a certain organization does in the future.

Incidentally, if you don't mind blurring the line on gameplay mechanics versus in-universe storytelling, you'll notice that you can teleport just outside the boss's chamber if you should die while fighting him, likely because he's been found. (Just don't ask about game overs, because again, it is still a game.)

Hence why I think Break Man would teleport in just outside of the labs somewhere, but he probably couldn't teleport into, say, their living room without a proper layout of the place.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:45 pm

I'd say he was teleporting outside cuz that's where Tempo was. But now that he has the layout of Lalinde's house, he can port inside anytime and, if anyone orders him, could kill her. I hope Ian explains it because where did he get the porting system from? Rock and the Light Numbers at least have Light Labs with a porting pad or whatever but does Blues have it built in or what?

Love that he's Break Man now. Once he joins the anti-hero / hero side, he can be Proto Man again.
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Proto Man has Wily's teleporter. Since he's with Wily.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:52 pm

So I've had this and SU 62 for over a week now, but I just now got time to read them (which is good because I got MM 36 today!).

I'm not going to talk about SU 62 (...Ian made me dislike a Shadow story. I'm about ready to pull the plug on those series), but Mega Man is another story!

This was a fantastic issue. First off, artwork was gorgeous so kudos to Mr. Hesse. Dialogue was very strong too, with the Tempo and Blues scenes being flawless. Tempo remains my favorite character so I love seeing her development here continue, and Blues is totally going somewhere and I can't wait till we get to see it.

Plot wise, several very important lessons were at play in the issue and I think all of them got the time they needed to come across. One thing I noticed while reading this back to back with Sonic Universe 62 was how they seemed like two polar opposite ways of dealing with the act of killing. In SU62, Shadow kills Black Death and the Black Arms with no hesitation. Life is important only if you're good and nothing else. Sure, they were being the portrayed as eating people and such, but it was still a very blanket statement to make and felt very poorly done, especially with Eclipse and Black Death's final scene being phoned in from out of nowhere. Meanwhile, Rock here struggles with that very concept, happy that Ra Moon is gone, but at the same time frightened by that very excitement. Even the terms show the difference in maturity between the two titles: Eclipse has to say Black Death is gone while Mega Man gets away with saying he killed Ra Moon. It really shows how limited the Sonic comics are at presenting even the simplest story nuances while Mega Man shows them off with flying colors.

Overall, really loved the issue and and excited for the next iss-OH WAIT I ALREADY READ 36! On to the next thread!
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:19 am

I'll have to reread the issue but I recall Break Man leaving the Wily Bots.

I really like how frightened Rock is of his feelings but to compare with Shadow from Sonic Universe, Shadow's nonchalance is part of his character. It's like comparing Omega with Rock. Both are artificial but despite his comedy, Omega won't hesitate to mow down anything breathing if he was given orders and he seems programmed to like it. Rock has no orders on what to feel so it frightens him.

But it isn't the books itself that's limiting the portrayal of death. It's the characters themselves. Ian is just following through on how they think. If there was more pages, you bet Ian would have provided a counterpoint, ala Shadow comments that he's the ultimate life form for taking life, then Hope comes around and tells he's saving lives too. (it has to be Hope. Rouge can't handle that complication and Omega is murderous.). Rock already has Light to give immediate counseling.
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:00 pm

The difference was entirely at how the two stories were presented. While Shadow has the complexity to allow for him to think about the situation, especially given all of the Eclipse brother stuff going on in previous issues, I'm don't mind Shadow's actions themselves. The problem is how black and white the situation is painted. There is never a moment where the Black Arms are shown to be anything more than evil filled monsters, yet Ian tried to make us feel for them with Black Death and Eclipse's moment at the very end. When you have so many things going in one direction, throwing in a tiny snippet in the other only disrupts the flow and makes everything feel uneven. In this case, Shadow and Team Dark are the heroes, except they maybe aren't? Eclipse and Black Death are pure evil, except when I'm not told they are? It' not making the characters three-dimensional, it's awkward writing unsupported by earlier development. As for the limiting maturity, that was specifically aimed at Eclipse using the word "gone" instead of "dead" while Rock used "killed" instead of "destroyed". I actually read SU 62 first, and the line struck me like a line out of an old TV anime dub like DBZ, like "this is for kids, so can't get too wild here". Then when the exact same thing happened in MM 35 but with Rock getting to say the k word, I couldn't help but see the difference between them.

But I don't want to talk about Universe, especially not when I was only bringing it up because I thought Mega Man did that aspect better than Universe.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby LilacDownDeep » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:16 pm

I'm beginning to notice just by your comments throughout the months that the quality of writing in the Mega Man comics compared to the Sonic Comics is a lot better. In fact I remember someone saying that Spaz's Mega Man work is way better than his Sonic work. I'm wondering if the fact that there's less squeezing and limitation makes Mega Man a lot more FUN to write and draw about, thus making the writing so much different and better.

(Yes I know even MM has some weak issues but I notice they're the ones Capcom asks for x'D)
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:49 pm

Capcom ASKS for issues? Like which ones? There arent any Sonic in the Olympics or Sonic with car racing issues that I know of that relate to Mega Man. Is it Rock of Ages?
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby LilacDownDeep » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:24 am

FeroMcPigletron wrote:Capcom ASKS for issues? Like which ones? There arent any Sonic in the Olympics or Sonic with car racing issues that I know of that relate to Mega Man. Is it Rock of Ages?

They're the ones that approached Archie for the Crossover. Rock of Ages is another one.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:25 pm

Kind of late response for this but,

seeing Cossack being so doubtful of Wily's innocence and Light being the opposite is going to be all the more awkward when the MM4 arc comes around and ends...
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby El Veinte » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Great emotional stuff in this issue. It's interesting to get to know Blues before he became the super-cool and aloof mystery figure, where he doesn't always have all the answers figured out. It's been excellent watching him mature.

I'm a little thrown by the box asking "And what is Gamma?!" Did any of the characters even use the word Gamma in this issue? Why would readers otherwise be asking that?

X is such a tease. I don't mind I hope we get to see a full image of the Arcadia "A" symbol later on. I like Arcadia and its Zero-series tie-in better than the shoe-horned biblical reference Abel City. I am impressed how they developed this whole human clothing fashion line of 21XX entirely based on Dr. Cain's weird official robe outfit. There's so much going on with these panels, like whatever's happening with Blast Hornet and the balloon kid and his mother's open-chested blouse. Sup with that? Actually, all I really want to know is when can I pre-order my X comic subscription already? Let's go Archie.
El Veinte
BumbleFan

Postby Sunwalker » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:33 pm

El Veinte wrote:I'm a little thrown by the box asking "And what is Gamma?!" Did any of the characters even use the word Gamma in this issue? Why would readers otherwise be asking that?

Issue #36 will answer your questions ;)
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Axel T Rat » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:00 pm

Okay. I think I've got a better grasp of the release schedule now. I'll probably go out to get the next issue after my next Sonic comes in the mail if its not around during FCD

+Seem to be getting close to MM3/MM4 stuff with the foreshadowing
+SIGMA
+Lots of cameos in the MMX story
+So MMX city is Arcadia rather than Neo Arcadia. Makes sense.
+Starting to get a greater grasp of how Ra Moon affected everyone and what a b@$!@^d he was
+Nice character development for Tempo and Blues
+Tempo was particularly cute in this ish
+Comic seems to be veering more into darker territory

So yeah. Nothing bad to say at all. Oh wait, one thing.

-Zero's appearances on the covers seems to be a bit of "wolverine publicity" since he's barely in the actual story.
Axel T Rat
BumbleKnight

Postby Astrobot7000 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:11 am

LilacDownDeep wrote:I'm beginning to notice just by your comments throughout the months that the quality of writing in the Mega Man comics compared to the Sonic Comics is a lot better.

The quality of the Sonic comics has declined quite steeply. It has since become "action, action, and more action... the comic!" We no longer get any depth or real character development. The Mega Man book has action, but it also has plenty of heart and some real depth, where Sonic doesn't have much of that any more. That's just my opinion of course.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Zan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:16 am

There's so much going on with these panels, like whatever's happening with Blast Hornet and the balloon kid and his mother's open-chested blouse. Sup with that?

Whatever it is, I'm positive Blast Hornet is a time traveler. Why's a specialized combat robot, second in command of the 0th Unit, even around at that time?
Zan
BumbleFan

Previous

Return to For Everlasting Peace!