Bridging the gap. The Classic to X interim. What do we know?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Bridging the gap. The Classic to X interim. What do we k

Postby Oakie620 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:36 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I wonder if Wily's Zero and World 2 futures are really reconcilable.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I think they are.

For starters, a world of peace is what Mega Man always fought for. And the ending of MM10 hints at the possibility of Dr. Wily reforming (though I can't say whether it was the developers' intention or not).

If the time travelling Dr. Wily conspired with his future self to kidnap the future Mega Man, it means the future Dr. Wily must have returned to his evil ways. Quint's existence accounts for Mega Man's absence in the future, which justifies X as an entirely new character (instead of, for example, an upgraded Mega Man). Furthermore, Shadow's rampage helps setting the stage for the X series, contributing to the lack of humanoid robots before the discovery of X. Humanity's fear of robots also aligns with Dr. Light's decision to seal X away.

Taking the facts into account, I believe in the possibility of a single timeline since everything meshes together rather nicely.
Oakie620
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:52 pm

But for one thing...

Zan wrote:Image
Mega Man Shadow and the Dimensions.

When he arrived in the past and attacked Symphony City, Shadow told the following: the future Wily has not given up on his ambition of world conquest.

A lie, however. In his dying breath Shadow admits that Wily truthfully did not continue his evil ways. Though, he does reveal a bleak future in which Shadow himself became mad with power, desired to destroy the world, and faced ever stronger foes until no-one remained to stop him.

In the end, Bass and Rock both learn valuable lessons from Shadow’s tale. They vow not to go down this same path. Their determination gives us hope that perhaps, and only perhaps, Rock will not become Quint and a new future may be written.

The part in bold being the clincher. That is, of course, unless we don't count this game as canon.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Oakie620 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:00 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
The part in bold being the clincher. That is, of course, unless we don't count this game as canon.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I prefer to assume Shadow is unaware of what happened after he left his timeline. Also take into account that he was made by Dr. Wily.
Oakie620
BumbleFan

Postby Zan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:37 pm

One of the things I find most interesting about Shadow's future is that somehow Bass doesn't exist anymore. Robots of his caliber exist only in the past.

Since old Wily didn't continue his evil ways after aiding his past self, I'd like to think he completed his Zero project and passed on quietly. After all, he had already assured his future resurrection.
Zan
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:21 am

Are we sure Bass doesn't exist, or is he simply not mentioned?

Maybe Wily reprogrammed him to be a better lab assistant and housekeeper than Rock and Roll combined. XD

"YOU CALL THAT BATHTUB CLEAN?! I'LL SHOW YOU THE REAL POWER OF SCRUBBIN' BUBBLES!!!"

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Zan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:00 am

"Well done, Forte... It's somehow appropriate that you are the strongest. Truthfully, I needed to find the strongest robot..... In the future, there was nothing that could stop me. But I traveled back in time, so that I could find the one who could destroy me."

We know of Rockman's absence, and from the sound of things Forte didn't live to see the peaceful world.
Zan
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:50 pm

Ah, guess that settles that, then...

...unless he was already a superior housekeeping lab assistant and just too weak to face him as a result, anyway.

The thought of Bass in an apron with a broom and dustpan just amuses me, okay? ;P

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby El Veinte » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:01 am

It's possible Bass never existed in Shadow's timeline. I prefer to equate trips through time as trips to alternate parallel dimensions. That tends to eliminate quite a few time travel paradoxes. Plus it seems appropriate for a group called the Dimensions to really come from another dimension.

I'll see your Bass in an apron sweeping up is funny, and I'll raise you that any humanoid robot using a broom is a delightful anachronism. Pairing a high technological marvel like a fully functional android with an ancient low-tech cleaning brush instead of using a roomba is like constructing a tactical satellite guided missile launcher to shoot at a fly instead of using fly paper.
El Veinte
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:28 am

Fair enough, though really it's all about the apron. The rest are interchangeable accessories.

"MY SOUFFLé!!!"

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby BlueBlur62391 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:40 am

LBD, if it makes you happy, you can try digital editing to put Bass in a French maid outfit.
BlueBlur62391
BumbleNoble

Postby LilacDownDeep » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:10 am

I could probably draw it. I dunno how many people would pay me to.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:20 pm

BillNoSpoilers wrote:LBD, if it makes you happy, you can try digital editing to put Bass in a French maid outfit.

No time.

LilacDownDeep wrote:I could probably draw it. I dunno how many people would pay me to.

No money.

Bass will just have to content himself with proving he's the strongest robot, rather than the best lab assistant/housekeeper.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby El Veinte » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:29 am

Sounds like we need an OOC one-off with Rock and Roll vs Bass and Waltz running competing babysitting/pet grooming/house cleaning businesses.
El Veinte
BumbleFan

Postby Zan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:16 am

It's possible Bass never existed in Shadow's timeline. I prefer to equate trips through time as trips to alternate parallel dimensions. That tends to eliminate quite a few time travel paradoxes. Plus it seems appropriate for a group called the Dimensions to really come from another dimension.

I personally think Bass existed regardless. Dr. Wily traveled to a time in which he met his own future self. This Wily would have made almost identical life decisions no matter what. If he didn't create Bass, then at the very least another robot similar to him.
Zan
BumbleFan

Postby Radz the Hedgehog » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:08 am

The only place I see an alternate timeline possibly forking off is when Shadow shows up in the present. His arrival could have altered Mega Man and Bass' (as well as humanity for that matter) direction because he came from the future. Dr. Wily cannot change his future self because he is always going to use the Time Skimmer to go forward no matter what. In a possible timeline that Shadow comes from, he never showed up attack in the past, but he creates a new timeline when he attacks.

The thing is, the fact that Shadow arrived could also be what causes Mega Man to forgo his powers and eventually revert to Rock...which then allows him to be captured and converted to Quint. It really does look like a predestination paradox, but it is conveniently fixed by the fact that the future knowledge of becoming Quint is overshadowed by Rock's wish to not become too powerful.

In a sense, he unwittingly becomes Quint by attempting to not turn into Shadow.
Radz the Hedgehog
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!