Page 1 of 2

Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:57 pm
by ReifuTD
There been somes things about this I point out or just felt like talking about. To start in Mega Man 8 it show the location of Doctor Light's lab on the world map and the map shows the lab located in east Texas. Well I don't believe the games them selves never directly says that Mega Man lives in the US or any of the states. As far as I understand the dot on the map is closest thing to canon and Light family's loction may have been left intentionally vague.

The comics may have taken this same approach so far no one said directly where the Light family lives other then it's assumed it's in the US. But there are what seems to be some clues that might be intentional or unintentional that the Light Family lives in Texas.

First this is probably the main reason why Light would have his home is Texas. As far as I understand Texas or atleast a lot of places in Texas has no Zoning Laws. So Doctor Light could have him, Have it look the way it looks and do the stuff he does there. And right next door Mr. and Mis. Smith send thier son out the door for school in the morning.

As seen in issue 19 the Light Family appears to live relatively near a beach witch would be true if they live in east Texas. Also giving the time frame this issue takes place when compared to the others around it they are swiming at the beach in the fall, meaning they have to be down south witch also fits Texas.

21 and 22 shows this area in the winter time, Note the lack of snow yet as it cold enought they have to wear coats and you can see thier breathe. In Texas when it snows it rarely sicks and melts away. Yet the temp at night gets belows freezing.

I'm starting a topic on this to see whats other thoughts on this. Maybe point out other that agree or dissagree with what I pointed out. Perhapes point out some fun facts about Texas you'd like to see used if the Light Family does in deed live there.

Re: Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:35 pm
by SonicBlueRanger
I always thought they were suppose to be in New York due to the giant park in the center of the city (9-12) and the Ball dropping in the center of the city #21.

Re: Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:13 pm
by LBD_Nytetrayn
ReifuTD wrote:There been somes things about this I point out or just felt like talking about. To start in Mega Man 8 it show the location of Doctor Light's lab on the world map and the map shows the lab located in east Texas. Well I don't believe the games them selves never directly says that Mega Man lives in the US or any of the states.


Nope.

As far as I understand the dot on the map is closest thing to canon and Light family's loction may have been left intentionally vague.


Yep.

I'm starting a topic on this to see whats other thoughts on this. Maybe point out other that agree or dissagree with what I pointed out. Perhapes point out some fun facts about Texas you'd like to see used if the Light Family does in deed live there.


If memory serves, there was at the very least a manga which placed Light's lab in "Tokio", which happens to be the name of an area in Texas that does fit with the map in Mega Man 8, more or less (it's a big square on a tiny map). Unfortunately, as I recall, it's a more rural area-- or at least, no big cities.

Want some more fun? Try to figure out Maverick Hunter HQ. Truth be told, I just don't think the developers gave a flip about any world building of this sort, and basically just did stuff without much consideration. Shame, really.

SonicBlueRanger wrote:I always thought they were suppose to be in New York due to the giant park in the center of the city (9-12) and the Ball dropping in the center of the city #21.


The Ruby-Spears cartoon took place there, as I recall.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Re: Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:39 pm
by Mega Man Monthly
SonicBlueRanger wrote:I always thought they were suppose to be in New York due to the giant park in the center of the city (9-12) and the Ball dropping in the center of the city #21.

Titanium Park and City Square indeed resemble Central Park and Times Square. But, we also have to keep in mind that there's a beach very close to Mega City (#19), something that would put a kink in the "New York" theory.

Since #21 and #22 both take place in January and February (respectively) and were released on those same months, I always assumed #19 took place in November. Frolicking on the beach in November would seem unlikely for the northeast. But this is based on my own interpretation; there's nothing that says #19 takes place in November.

Re: Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:45 pm
by BlackHawkOmega
This is why I'm glad that ZX and Advent took place in the sky; don't have to worry about this kind of stuff.

Re: Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:36 pm
by Sunwalker
No! No! No! You are all wrong! :twisted:

All of the classic games happened in Brazil and the characters always lived there. It's true! Novas Aventuras de Megaman said it!!!1!

Alright, I am just kidding. But let me have some fun with it :P

Re: Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:12 pm
by SonicBlueRanger
Sunwalker wrote:No! No! No! You are all wrong! :twisted:

All of the classic games happened in Brazil and the characters always lived there. It's true! Novas Aventuras de Megaman said it!!!1!


*Starts beating it with a Baseball Bat* WHY! DOESN'T! IT! DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE?!

Re: Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:55 pm
by SurrealBrain
SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Sunwalker wrote:No! No! No! You are all wrong! :twisted:

All of the classic games happened in Brazil and the characters always lived there. It's true! Novas Aventuras de Megaman said it!!!1!


*Starts beating it with a Baseball Bat* WHY! DOESN'T! IT! DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE?!

The kindest thing I can say about it is that it's unforgettable...which is very unfortunate.

Re: Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:59 am
by Morgil
SurrealBrain wrote:
SonicBlueRanger wrote:
Sunwalker wrote:No! No! No! You are all wrong! :twisted:

All of the classic games happened in Brazil and the characters always lived there. It's true! Novas Aventuras de Megaman said it!!!1!


*Starts beating it with a Baseball Bat* WHY! DOESN'T! IT! DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE?!

The kindest thing I can say about it is that it's unforgettable...which is very unfortunate.


Darn it, it can't be healthy for me to be drinking so much Brain Bleach® in just a few days.

Also, aren't we getting a bit off topic. Wait, what was the topic again? Something about texas? Dang it, i think my pink head-thingy isn't thinkinging clearly anymore.

Re: Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:01 pm
by Tcat
It,s the foooootrue... I just assumed it took place wherever you want it to be since it,s up to the writers to world build.

As for hunter hq.. Why does everyone assume there,s just one? :/ police have buildings all over in different cities, there,s no reason to believe the hunters don,t have hqs protecting different cities too.

Re: Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:09 pm
by LBD_Nytetrayn
Part of me is so tempted to ban discussion of New Adventures...

Tcat wrote:It,s the foooootrue... I just assumed it took place wherever you want it to be since it,s up to the writers to world build.

As for hunter hq.. Why does everyone assume there,s just one? :/ police have buildings all over in different cities, there,s no reason to believe the hunters don,t have hqs protecting different cities too.


You're correct, as Command Mission did show us at least one other such base. When most people refer to it, though (and not unreasonably so, given Capcom's spotty world-building), they usually refer to the one which X, Zero, Axl, Signas, Alia, etc. operate out of. At least, that's the one I meant.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Re: Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:25 pm
by Spin
Texas. It's where Fire Man's voice chip was manufactured.

Re: Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:27 pm
by BlueBlur62391
What about Guts Man? Detroit? New York?

Re: Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:44 am
by El Veinte
Mega Man Monthly wrote:Titanium Park and City Square indeed resemble Central Park and Times Square. But, we also have to keep in mind that there's a beach very close to Mega City (#19), something that would put a kink in the "New York" theory.


Not sure I follow. Long Beach? Bay Area? Coney Island is less than half an hour from NYC. New York has plenty of beaches.

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:If memory serves, there was at the very least a manga which placed Light's lab in "Tokio", which happens to be the name of an area in Texas that does fit with the map in Mega Man 8, more or less (it's a big square on a tiny map). Unfortunately, as I recall, it's a more rural area-- or at least, no big cities.


The world robot tournament takes place in the "TOKIO DOME" in Ikehara's Rockman 6 manga, but that arena is based on the real Tokyo Dome with the name changed to avoid direct reference, probably in the same way Archie's Mega Man comic does with its locations (just done less cleverly). In the later chapters of that manga, Dr. Right needs to sneak back to his lab to recover some equipment to upgrade Beat, and Rock mentions that it falls under the territory currently watched over by Yamato Man. By the manga's world map that means the location is somewhere in Southeast Asia, implied directly within Japan itself. (I think generally a manga reader assumes a Japanese location unless otherwise stated, since it fits the language and cultural expectations of the audience but that's by no means a comprehensive rule.) If Right's lab were in America it would have fallen under Tomahawk Man's domain, stated to be America (but including Mexico and some of Central America and Canada as well). An awfully big region to be ruled by one bot, but that's just how R6 rolls.

Re: Texas: The home of Mega Man?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:40 am
by Mega Man Monthly
El Veinte wrote:
Mega Man Monthly wrote:Titanium Park and City Square indeed resemble Central Park and Times Square. But, we also have to keep in mind that there's a beach very close to Mega City (#19), something that would put a kink in the "New York" theory.


Not sure I follow. Long Beach? Bay Area? Coney Island is less than half an hour from NYC. New York has plenty of beaches.

Not gonna lie. I just learned something today. Carry on.