Mega Man #36 Preview

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #36 Preview

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:40 pm

I'm really not keen on the idea of crossing the two over... But, I won't lie... When I heard Sonic and Mega Man were crossing over, or when I learned that it was going to be considered canon to both universes, I reacted similarly. Now that it's happened and it's over, I think it's one of the coolest things to ever happen to the Blue Bomber. So, I trust in the Archie team. Their depiction of Mega Man hasn't disappointed me yet...
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby SurrealBrain » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:36 pm

Mega Man Monthly wrote:I'm really not keen on the idea of crossing the two over... But, I won't lie... When I heard Sonic and Mega Man were crossing over, or when I learned that it was going to be considered canon to both universes, I reacted similarly. Now that it's happened and it's over, I think it's one of the coolest things to ever happen to the Blue Bomber. So, I trust in the Archie team. Their depiction of Mega Man hasn't disappointed me yet...

Good point...I had worries myself, but that one ended up pretty good. So I'll stay optimistic that if nothing else, this one will be good.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby diamonddeath » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 pm

I'm guessng that the alternate endings are both canon and that one shows the classic series leading into the crossover while the other (probably the variant) will show the X series leading into the crossover. Any thoughts?
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:38 am

Wouldn't that effectively imply that the X series is an alternate reality from Classic? Can't say I like that much.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Bean » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:07 am

I actually don't mind that one at all since I always thought you could easily do the split timeline thing (like with what happened with the latter X games in spite of their quality), and I've never liked the idea of the Classic series having an official end anyway.

I'm sure it will go better than the cartoon crossover at the very least!
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:52 am

Well, Classic never did have an official end... X was just a century after, leaving it pretty open.

As for X, there wasn't ever really any split timeline stuff there, alternate endings aside. The games just flowed from one to the next, save for CM's century-later happenings, then on into MMZ and beyond. I think the only exception was MAYBE with ZX's choices of hero, and I think we have an entire thread dedicated to that one.

Either way, I prefer the comic adhere to the games as much as it can, including keeping to a relatively solid timeline. If for some reason that means Classic and X don't meet, then so be it.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby LilacDownDeep » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:18 am

I feel it's way too soon for another crossover but that's just me. :\
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:23 am

Why do an X crossover when they aren't even adapting X1 yet? X has no reason to go and fight unless all his friends go Maverick and he and Zero are the only ones left who can stop them.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby ShadowBat20 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:41 am

I'm torn. On the one hand, yay, Mega Man and X meeting! That might be pretty cool. But on the other hand, it does seem kind of too soon for them to meet...
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby RadRed89 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:58 am

I can't say I like the idea of this variant with a different ending. I'm not in the habit of buying the same comic twice. Hopefully this doesn't become a regular thing.

But I am pretty excited if this is really a crossover between Classic and X. It probably is too soon since we only just had the Sonic crossover, and we haven't even really gotten too far into X yet depending on what exactly happens in the upcoming back stories, but I'm a sucker for a good crossover. The only problem is, this is probably going to have to end with Mega Man having his memories erased yet AGAIN. That's getting a little old. I suppose it might not have to happen if X is the one who comes back in time or something, but still, the thought of Dr. Light meeting X and Dr. Wily meeting Zero before they've even began to start building them opens up too many complications in time.

I guess we'll see how it goes.

I'm ready for MM3 to happen too. I've enjoyed everything that's happened in the book since MM2, and wouldn't trade it for MM3 happening sooner, but it has been a pretty long build-up. I want to see what Ian does to make that story more interesting, like he did with the virus in MM2.
RadRed89
BumbleNoble

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:59 am

Idea...

Maybe the "crossover" is just referencing that the entire issue will be a MMX story instead of just a back-up, so we have a MMX story in a MM [Classic] issue?

Keep in mind that #33-#36 likely comprise TPB Vol. 8 (which is fittingly titled "Redemption" according to Amazon)... so, #37 is the first issue of a new four issue run. Maybe we're getting a full-out four-issue MMX story arc to run from #37-#40 while the Classic storyline takes a break?

I guess that's technically a crossover in terms of the publication itself and not the character interactions.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby RadRed89 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:07 pm

That could be it. I remember in an interview shortly after it was announced that Archie was doing X, it was implied that after the back-ups there would be more X right away, but I can't remember how they said it would happen. I want to say they said it would be an arc in Mega Man. It's been awhile.

But still, if that's what they're doing, they could word it better.
RadRed89
BumbleNoble

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:22 pm

I don't recall exactly either, but I think all that was referenced was that it would be around summer, which would correlate well with a May issue. Let me dig up the IGN interview and see...

Here we go...

Kaminski: The back-ups serve to set the stage for a story we've got slated for Spring/Summer 2014. If fans and readers support it, you will see more X, plain and simple!
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:Why do an X crossover when they aren't even adapting X1 yet? X has no reason to go and fight unless all his friends go Maverick and he and Zero are the only ones left who can stop them.

He becomes a Hunter prior to Sigma's revolt, so...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby BlueBlur62391 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:50 pm

I haven't really been thinking about the next Mega Ma—OMG! *big gasp* A crossover between the classic series and X!!?

*makes high-pitched fangirl squeal*
BlueBlur62391
BumbleNoble

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!