Mega Man #36 Preview

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man #36 Preview

Postby theJcfreak » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:29 am

That is the most gangsta looking variant. Dr. Wily's about ready to throw down some wicked raps. :(hearty laughter): But yeah, the variant's much more interesting visually than the main cover. Simple yet bold? Looks simple and bland, nothing bold about it. It's a cover designed to go on store shelves and scream, "Hey kids look! Videogame characters! Jumping on point! Buybuybuy!"
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:30 am

theJcfreak wrote:It's a cover designed to go on store shelves and scream, "Hey kids look! Videogame characters! Jumping on point! Buybuybuy!"

... Exactly.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby Jaytonicsonic » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:12 pm

Both covers are really nice in their own way. Personally I would get variant over the standard, but still well drawn.

I do like the lead up to the Mega Man 3 story. Ian really has me feeling bad for Doctor Wily. We all know what's going to happen, but I can't wait to see the breaking point of Albert turning on Dr. Light. What will be his excuse this time? He's a free man, his name has been cleared, and he and Light are working together again. How can you mess that up? That I want to see.

Also Mega Man realizing that he can't trust Wily will be good as well. The Mega Man comics are shaping up really nicely. :)
Jaytonicsonic
BumbleNewbie

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Archie has released their April solicits.

MEGA MAN #36
On the eve of the MEGA MAN/MEGA MAN X Crossover comes the TWISTED tale that could only be called "A Chance at Redemption"! Dr. Wily is a free man, cleared of wrongdoing, and it's all thanks to--Mega Man?! Can even an evil villain like himself live with a lie of that magnitude? Can he enjoy a life of robotics research next to his “frenemy” Dr. Light? Will the promise of power in Gamma be far too tempting? The answer to all your burning questions lie in this mega-fun issue! Plus, be sure to pick up both regular and variant editions to read both SHOCKING "post-credits" alternate endings! Includes cover art by Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante and a stunning "TRIAL OF DR. WILY" variant cover from rising MEGA-star Brent McCarthy! Script: Ian Flynn Art: POWREE, Gary Martin, John Workman and Matt Herms Cover: Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante Trial of Dr. Wily Variant Cover: Brent McCarthy Shipping Date: 4/2 On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: 4/16 32-page, full color comic

Alternate endings, eh?

And, in case there was actually any doubt with anyone, it's gone now. Mega Man 3 is next.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby The KKM » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:42 pm

>Mega Man / Mega Man X crossover confirmed

I knew it was coming and I'm still not happy about it :(
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Ooga_Hooga » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:12 pm

I'm guessing it was a typo, or they meant that it was a crossover since X was sharing the book but not actually meeting Mega Man.
Ooga_Hooga
BumbleFan

Postby Penguin God » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:17 pm

That is a lot of gimmicks in one issue, and none of them are super tantalizing. The actual meat of the comic sounds good at least.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:49 pm

It's been dubbed a "crossover" in nearly every solicit to mention it.

I assume it's just a reference to the fact that "X" is appearing in the same book as "Classic" and not that the two universes will actually interact. (At least, it doesn't seem likely considering the solicits for the other stories and how short the event actually is; think the length of the Guts Man stories from #17 and #18.)
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicSoul » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:15 pm

Plus, it'd be a tad too soon to have another 'actual' crossover after WC.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:22 pm

Alternate endings? I don't see that going over well.

Personally speaking, my comic budget is stretched thin as it is, and I don't even get the variant covers.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby SonicSoul » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:05 pm

'Alternate endings?' Well, that's new.

Even though it almost tempted to actually get the variant cover, I'm still going for the standard one and just read up what happens in the variant's ending posted by someone who did get it.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:37 pm

It's a crossover people that would be one heck of a typo or a terribly misleading use of the word "Crossover" if it was anything but.

I'm not sure why so many people are so upset with this personally. My problem is...variant ending? Really?

Not everybody gets the Variants and not everybody reads Solicits so this is going to be a marketing disaster.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby SurrealBrain » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:52 pm

Alternate endings, eh...in two different editions?

Heck, the stores I go to don't even carry variants. Just the regular cover. I didn't care because the content was the same. Now look...

Look, I know they like variants, but I think this is going a little too far...as SBR said, this won't go well with marketing.

Oh well, hopefully if nothing else, the differing endings will be in the trade.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Actually... I overlooked that the solicit says the eve of the crossover, and now I'm not so sure that it's just referencing X appearing in the main comics via back-ups. I've looked back at some of the previous solicits, and I'm 99% sure now that #37 is going to be some kind of actual Classic/X crossover.

Mega Man #34
This is it! The issue every Mega-fan has been demanding! The debut of Mega Man X! But first, in 'Shadow of the Moon' Part One: Mega Man joins a research team seeking the truth behind Dr. Wily and Ra Moon. But how far will they get when Shadow Man goes on the attack? Then, in 'The X Factor' Part One: jump 100 years into the future as Dr. Cain discovers Dr. Light's final, greatest creation — Mega Man X! Featuring pencils by the returning Mega Man art legend Patrick 'Spaz' Spaziante! The road to the next big mega-crossover starts here, featuring an exclusive Mega Man X variant cover by superstar artist Ben Bates!

Free Comic Book Day 2014
Its TWO free comic books in ONE! Hot off the heels of the ultra-successful Sonic/Mega Man crossover event, “Worlds Collide”, comes a showcase issue of the hottest new storylines in both characters' universes — exclusively for Free Comic Book Day! Somic stars in “Blast to the Past” and the origin of his Freedom Fighters! Then, on the flipside of this issue, get ready for the “Mega Man X” crossover event with this primer story!

So we got #34 and #35 serving as the "road" to the crossover, the FCBD special serving as the "primer" for it, and #36 is the "eve" of it. It's pretty well assumed that the FCBD special will be some kind of condensed version of the back-up stories from #34 and #35 to get people hyped for the impending story, just like 2013's special served as a "primer" for Worlds Collide by including condensed versions of #23 and StH #247. So, this "crossover" isn't referencing #34-#35 (like I thought it was), but instead... something else that it's building to.

I'm making my prediction now. The crossover is going to be a "what-if" story that spawns from one of #36's elusive "alternate endings." We'll see what happens...
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby SurrealBrain » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Seems like it. Though honestly, I think they should have given the X series its own comic before doing any sort of Classic/X crossover. Again, though, we'll see what happens.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!