Blues and the 1st Law of Robotics

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Blues and the 1st Law of Robotics

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:25 pm

SonicSoul wrote:You know, all this talk about the Asimov laws has made me wonder what would happen if a robot accidently harmed or killed a human. They would obviously get scrapped and put away into an incinerator or something, but would they get like a trial? Or would not be considered actual citizens for that? And if they are entitled to have one, would some sort of repercussions or limit so their accident won't happen again?

I realize these questions could be asked in the General Mega Man questions thread, but it felt it could fall under this one since I'm curious as to how much of Asimov's laws would affect this kind of situation.

Apparently there are no repercussions since Elec Man willingly mutilated Xander's face.

Yeah, he was reprogrammed by Dr. Wily. But as we saw in Spiritus Ex Machina, he'd gladly do it again if he wasn't bound by his original programming that prevents him from harming a human.

But I realize you're talking about an accident, not intention. In which case I'd imagine a detailed analysis of the robot's programming would be in order to validate if there was anything that could have caused it to be less-than-an-accident. If so, I'd imagine the robot's creator would be tried, not the robot.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby Penguin God » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:41 pm

That's the one benefit of still being considered as tools instead of people. They're not considered responsible for their own actions.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Sonicpolo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:56 am

megamanmonthly wrote:
SonicSoul wrote:You know, all this talk about the Asimov laws has made me wonder what would happen if a robot accidently harmed or killed a human. They would obviously get scrapped and put away into an incinerator or something, but would they get like a trial? Or would not be considered actual citizens for that? And if they are entitled to have one, would some sort of repercussions or limit so their accident won't happen again?

I realize these questions could be asked in the General Mega Man questions thread, but it felt it could fall under this one since I'm curious as to how much of Asimov's laws would affect this kind of situation.

Apparently there are no repercussions since Elec Man willingly mutilated Xander's face.

Yeah, he was reprogrammed by Dr. Wily. But as we saw in Spiritus Ex Machina, he'd gladly do it again if he wasn't bound by his original programming that prevents him from harming a human.

But I realize you're talking about an accident, not intention. In which case I'd imagine a detailed analysis of the robot's programming would be in order to validate if there was anything that could have caused it to be less-than-an-accident. If so, I'd imagine the robot's creator would be tried, not the robot.

I don't think Elec Man wanted to purposely hurt the Emerald Spears and Xander during Spiritus Ex Machina. I think it was because his core programming was to protect humans and it almost comes into the conflict with it. He said that if he was reprogrammed again he would harm the Emerald Spears to protect the innocent humans.
Sonicpolo
BumbleCitizen

Postby The Bored » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:35 am

Maybe the Robot Masters can harm a human if it's to protect another and they do no permanent damage to them.
The Bored
BumbleNoble

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Sonicpolo23 wrote:I don't think Elec Man wanted to purposely hurt the Emerald Spears and Xander during Spiritus Ex Machina. I think it was because his core programming was to protect humans and it almost comes into the conflict with it. He said that if he was reprogrammed again he would harm the Emerald Spears to protect the innocent humans.

Aren't those bolded sentences contradictory? Yes, his intentions may have been pure, but ultimately, he still WANTED to hurt human beings, and he would have done it if he wasn't bound by his programming which prevented him from doing it.

(The page in question: http://www.steven-chase.com/misc/elecman.png )
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sonicpolo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:46 am

megamanmonthly wrote:
Sonicpolo23 wrote:I don't think Elec Man wanted to purposely hurt the Emerald Spears and Xander during Spiritus Ex Machina. I think it was because his core programming was to protect humans and it almost comes into the conflict with it. He said that if he was reprogrammed again he would harm the Emerald Spears to protect the innocent humans.

Aren't those bolded sentences contradictory? Yes, his intentions may have been pure, but ultimately, he still WANTED to hurt human beings, and he would have done it if he wasn't bound by his programming which prevented him from doing it.

(The page in question: http://www.steven-chase.com/misc/elecman.png )

Oh yeah I was a bit Contradictory. I just was a little confused by that page because he wanted to hurt them to protect the innocent humans form the Emerald Spears.
Last edited by Sonicpolo on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonicpolo
BumbleCitizen

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:07 am

What I was getting at is... If a robot has the desire to physically harm a human being and is able to intentionally do so because their programming doesn't prevent it... Then there are apparently no repercussions against the robot itself since Elec Man mangled Xander's face just for kicks and is still a free 'bot. I'm sure Dr. Wily would have been held responsible since he reprogrammed him... assuming they could catch him.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Previous

Return to For Everlasting Peace!