Xover is still a thing, right?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Xover is still a thing, right?

Postby Ryu The Weredragon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Eh, true.

Still, I'm not sure Capcom wanted to make Xover the same as every other Mega Man (Zero and ZX were similar to the point of making you wonder if ZX was only created to keep going without having to keep Zero alive).
Ryu The Weredragon
BumbleKnight

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:37 pm

ZX just looked like the next part of Capcom's "new machine, new series" method for those games.

NES: Mega Man

SNES: Mega Man X

PlayStation: Mega Man Legends

Game Boy Advance: Mega Man Battle Network & Mega Man Zero

Nintendo DS: Mega Man Star Force & Mega Man ZX.

Just that on GBA, they actually wrapped things up before moving on.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby The KKM » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:54 am

It's obvious Capcom didn't want to make Xover the same as the others. They wanted to tap the hot mobile rpg market, which you'll see Square is also nearly exclusively catering to in the future.

They just chose to do it after cancelling everything else they had going, basically saying "a more traditional Mega Man experience? No can do, everything's gone. But hey, have a half-hearted shoddily-made social rpg that supposedly celebrates the whole franchise, that's got all you guys like right? Pixels and nostalgia. Give us money now. I'm sorry what's that? "I don't want to give money I don't like this"? You mean, by this, the whole Mega Man franchise, right? Good to know."
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby Oakie620 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:40 am

MidniteW brings to light a curiosity about OVER-Z:

"The original designers for Over apparently came back for Over-Z and gave an interview. Some nice in-universe tidbit. Along these lines I guess: Cossack saw both Zero from X and Zero worlds and fused their designs for Over-Z. For his sword, Xover takes place before 21XX so beam sabers doesn't exist. Although they did acknowledge Over-B broke that rule. It's also two-handed just for the reason of being unique."

If someone wishes to verify this info, Rockman Unity has the original interview.
Oakie620
BumbleFan

Postby Spin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:28 pm

Ignoring the gameplay mechanics. If Capcom would make the focus of the game defeating these fan created bosses. And eliminated the Legend Armor concept and make them into the actual full fledged characters instead of Over cosplaying. I'd actually have an urge to want to play the game. But using the excuse of a crossover to execute a copy/paste job does nothing.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby LilacDownDeep » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:26 pm

That... that makes no sense. We have beam weapons such as Splash Woman's laser trident and Slash Claw (and of course their double clawed weapon) and they say that? That's like creating a plot hole by trying to explain the plot hole and making an even bigger hole inside that hole.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby Gonzo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:33 pm

Ack, the dreaded Voodoo Shark! D:

Wouldn't it have just been easier to say "it's not a beam sword, but it looked cool, so we kept it"?
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:16 am

LilacDownDeep wrote:That... that makes no sense. We have beam weapons such as Splash Woman's laser trident and Slash Claw (and of course their double clawed weapon) and they say that? That's like creating a plot hole by trying to explain the plot hole and making an even bigger hole inside that hole.

Slash Man's claws, and I think Splash Woman's trident, are both solid objects which can release energy.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby The KKM » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:21 am

Instances of beam stuff in Classic seem to be like a Zaku axe, IE solids covered in beam particles. They're referring to full-on Gundam's sword beam technology here, instead.

Still doesn't work, but eh. I've accepted Xover as "this is the game where we show Cossack is insane and has no aesthetic sense"
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:49 am

Captain Harlock wrote:Instances of beam stuff in Classic seem to be like a Zaku axe, IE solids covered in beam particles. They're referring to full-on Gundam's sword beam technology here, instead.

Still doesn't work, but eh. I've accepted Xover as "this is the game where we show Cossack is insane and has no aesthetic sense"

I rather like his designs.

And yeah, I was thinking something similar about the blades, albeit from a Transformers perspective.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby LilacDownDeep » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Slash Man's claws, and I think Splash Woman's trident, are both solid objects which can release energy.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

But in most media, the fork on Splash Woman's staff can disappear and reappear at will. And I meant Slash Claw as a weapon, though that generates a beam of crescent shaped energy. Tengu Blade, on the other hand, is completely physical and releases energy.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:47 am

Disappearing and reappearing is just normal Mega Man item teleporting, and claws that shoot out energy aren't really the same as a beam saber.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:56 am

Indeed. Didn't know that on the Laser Trident, either, but just going by what Capcom provided.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby El Veinte » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:50 pm

I don't think we have much to fear from Xover being Capcom's interest gauge for Rockman in general. Number of downloads means pretty much nothing, since the way it's set up players benefit by setting up multiple accounts over and over. They've only recently started cracking down to try and discourage it.

For example, since the beginning of the year when the game's Battle Arena mode opened, there have been over 130,000 user accounts listed in the Arena ranking, but judging from the Master Boss ranking fewer than 12,000 of those accounts have actually been active this month, and of those I'd wager from the low levels and totals on many of those that about half of that 12k are either people that tried the game and immediately lost interest or were deliberate toss-away accounts made only to get referrals or farm bosses for the contests. So in other words, the numbers estimate that there are an average of about 20 fake accounts for every "real" active user account. Incidentally, this is the exact number of referrals needed to get the maximum bonuses. Seems like a pretty strong coincidence there. Bottom line, download and user account numbers give an inflated sense of interest in the game compared to the actual number of players.

If they care about anything, it's about how much Crest (the in-game term for "real money") is spent. The number of promotional challenge events have skyrocketed since the game began, and now they're concurrent or even stacked on top of each other. When the first "cute" original artwork cards were released, players spent upwards of $30 to get them, and now they're churning out more and more shoopy swimsuit edition cards month after month. If it convinces people to spend money, they are all over it. All Capcom is likely to take away from this game is "we need more cheaply producible card-based RPGs with scantily clad female characters in them." Breath of Fire, anyone?

If it weren't for some really passionate people like artist Kenta Saito and the Rock-Men sound team bunch, this game would have been a total disaster. As it stands, it's just a mediocre time-wasting mobile game with a dash of fun Rockman flavor.

I think if they do release it in North America, they are bound to turn a profit. It's almost too low-cost not to. Still, it won't be anything amazing. It might provide a little extra exposure to the many different Mega Man series, but even as a free app I don't know how many people would downloading it that weren't already interested in Mega Man in the first place, or how many of those first timers will be impressed enough to go out and purchase more Mega Man games. I feel it's kind of a wash either way, but at least people who wanted to try it would have a much easier time.

And, this is a mobile game that is entirely server-based. One day, those servers will close up shop. Other mobile Capcom titles already have. There might never be another chance to play Xover in its original form, especially if it doesn't make it to the West. Something to think about.
El Veinte
BumbleFan

Postby El Veinte » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Double posting, my last post was going too long. Here's the meat of that Ucchy/Saito interview:

Q. First of all, what can you tell us about the design concept. It's based on Zero from Rockman X, right? That's what it looks like...

A. I thought it should be a mixture of both the Zero from the X series and from the Zero series, so the concept from within the Xover universe is that Dr. Cossack saw both Zero forms and made this armor his own personal interpretation of Zero's core image.

Also, OVER-B already uses a standard sized sword so I made this one a two-handed longsword to help differentiate it. Looking at it, I think it adds a lot of character and turned out really well.

Ucchy: I see! So Dr. Cossack was originally the one who came up with the matryoshka concept for OVER-1 in the story, and he's the one who saw both Zeros and drew up this design. It makes a lot of sense looking at it like that.

Q. Next, is there anything in particular you want to point out in particlar about this piece, or the design process?

A. I didn't want this to be just another Zero cosplay, I wanted him to be recognizable as Zero even without his usual hair, and focused instead on the sense of speed. Even the coloring was chosen to give an impression of being speedy.

Ucchy: You're right, even though this Zero design lacks the trademark long hair, my first immediate thought was "that's totally Zero!" That's pretty amazing, well done! And the coloring is really vibrant and lively too. It reminds me of a pair of running shoes!

Q. And now for the question on everyone's mind, why is the Z-Saber a real physical blade and not a beam weapon?!

A. The X series (in the year 21XX) was where beam weapons were more or less first introduced, so I've been mindful to try and avoid using them too conspicuously, but with this one and OVER-B it was finally decided "beams are ok if the situation really calls for it" so you might say the beam ban has finally been lifted, ha ha. So, prepare to see more beam weapons from here on out.

Ucchy: So that's what's been going on behind the scenes! And to go along with that, we have here a never before seen concept picture!

-When used, the beam along the blade activates.
-This is a two-handed longsword style weapon.

Wow, how do ya like that! That's so cool, I'm trembling! This sword's hilt and grip sections really give off a strong Rockman Zero vibe.

This has been great, getting this top-secret developer insight and concept images. I think we've really gotten to the nitty gritty of this new Rockman Xover armor! Our deepest thanks to Mr. Saito!
El Veinte
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!