MM#29 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: MM#29 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby ZERO_ninja » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Max1996 wrote:
megamanmonthly wrote:A running gag with Heat Man in the video-games is that he's inconvenienced by his own heat and is unaware that there's a dial to adjust his heat... out of reach, on his back.

Was that somewhat shown in the NES game? Because if it is, I just didn't see it.

It was mentioned in character bios that he doesn't know there's a dial on his back to regulate the temperature, but it didn't say he was inconvenienced by it. However, there were unused sprites from his appearance in Power Battle showing his heat powers backfiring on him. So it's kinda assumed the not knowing about his dial causes his some problems. His lid also has a history of falling shut over his head at times. =P
ZERO_ninja
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:22 pm

Yeah, it's mentioned in supplemental materials, not Mega Man 2 itself. That's just how things were back in the day.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby SonicSoul » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Yeah, any quirks or personality traits a Robot Master had in the games was told rather than shown. It took until maybe MM&B with the CD collectibles to really describe each RM for his own unique quality.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:40 am

ZERO_ninja wrote:It was mentioned in character bios that he doesn't know there's a dial on his back to regulate the temperature, but it didn't say he was inconvenienced by it.

Ah, you're correct. My fault. His bios basically explain that he doesn't know he has a heat regulator and that he has a slow, unenthusiastic pace. I guess Flynn assumed that being unable to regulate his heat contributed to his general unenthusiasm because he was so uncomfortably hot all the time.

Fun-fact: Unused sprites from one of the arcade games reveals he's also a smoker, which definitely adds up with his Zippo-motif. (I betcha we'll never see THAT in the comics!)
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:00 pm

megamanmonthly wrote:
ZERO_ninja wrote:It was mentioned in character bios that he doesn't know there's a dial on his back to regulate the temperature, but it didn't say he was inconvenienced by it.

Ah, you're correct. My fault. His bios basically explain that he doesn't know he has a heat regulator and that he has a slow, unenthusiastic pace. I guess Flynn assumed that being unable to regulate his heat contributed to his general unenthusiasm because he was so uncomfortably hot all the time.

Or he simply chose to expand upon it in such a way.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:48 pm

Well, yeah. Didn't mean to imply it was a misinterpretation of some degree. I think it's quite clever.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby Tahtorak » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:32 pm

I find it interesting how Metal Man's blades just bounce off Bomb Man's body. Considering how Metal Man is supposed to be a more powerful and dangerous version of Cut Man, shouldn't his blades have a more devastating effect on Bomb Man, since he was weak to Cut Man's power in Powered Up?

I mean, back in issue 23, Break Man used Cut Man's cutters to cut off Bomb Man's arms...
Tahtorak
BumbleFan

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:26 pm

Why is Fire Man not included in the ruins team? He helps Rock in the game (when Rock was about to lose to one of the Robot Masters). At least he was officially there. I recall Guts Man wasn't part of the helper team.

I wonder if Quick Man will turn to Rock's side then be killed by Shadow Man like in the game? Quick deserves to be backstabbed like how he did with Flash Man, haha.
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:39 pm

It should be clear by now not to expect a 1:1 adaptation of the game; 3 CD-ROMs' worth of animation and gameplay is having to be condensed and rewritten for four issues' worth of story, after all. I imagine Fire Man might have been considered surplus to requirements for telling the tale.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Sockie » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:26 pm

Fire Man's my favourite MM1 Robot Master, so I really do hope that he gets some spotlight at some point in the near future.
Sockie
BumbleNoble

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:30 am

Fire Man's my fave too (first robot master I beat, haha) but, for the sake of balance, he should have been there since he hasn't had time to shine yet amongst the six. Even Oil Man got a day in the sun (beach). I would have accepted if Flynn said that Fire Man's firestorm would be a hazard in a jungle.
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

Postby SonicSoul » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:35 am

Thirded on Fire Man hopefully getting some time to shine sometime next year as well as maybe Time Man (not counting his cameo in #20).
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:34 am

Yeah, Fire Man has definitely gotten the least amount of attention (with Time Man in second).

I tallied them up based on their unique roles (not just total appearances)... And, disregarding arcs where ALL of the Robot Masters basically served the same role (i.e., the first and third story arcs)... and counting each issue individually... here're the tallies.

Guts Man - (5) starring role in back-up of #17, starring role in back-up of #18, starring role in #23, starring role in #28, starring role in #29
Cut Man - (5) CWU-01P fight in #6 & #7, starring role in #23, starring role in #28, starring role in #29
Ice Man - (4) CWU-01P fight in #6 & #7, starring role in back-up of #18, starring role in #22
Elec Man - (4) starring role in Spiritus Ex Machina
Bomb Man - (3) starring role in #23, starring role in #28, starring role in #29
Oil Man - (2) main villain of Time Keeps on Slipping, starring role in #19
Time Man - (1) main villain of Time Keeps on Slipping
Fire Man - (0) nadda

I don't count Time Man's cameo in #20 because it was just that: a cameo. (It holds about as much weight as his appearance in #21.) I presume that once we eventually get to the point in time when the Chronos Institute story is told, we'll see him in a more important role (leading up to him getting dismantled).)

And for what it's worth... Quake Woman comes in at 6, which is higher than the others.

Quake Woman - (6) starring role in Spiritus Ex Machina, starring role in #19, starring role in #22
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicSoul » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:46 am

Oh yeah, I forgot Time Man had a cameo in #21 as well. That did admittedly lead to a clever little joke given the setting of the issue.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby FeroMcPigletron » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:13 pm

Wow, nice tally work. I didn't realize Guts was tied with Cut Man. I figured Cut Man was the most visible but with Guts getting the two back ups. Yeah, Fire Man needs a hunka hunka burning love of page time.

Gah! Don't say the dismantling of Time Man! He's cool too.

Can't wait up see how the MM3 Wily Numbers personalities manifest. I'd like to see how Top Man as I imagine he's easy going.
FeroMcPigletron
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!