MM#29 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: MM#29 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Astrobot7000 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:28 pm

So, if the EMP wave has caused all the technology to shut down, how is any of this possible? How could light read the data on the on the drive Proto Man gave him? Also, how could any of the machines used to create the fluid operate? Etc.

Good issue otherwise!
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby EvilEddie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Wood computers, a field that's been rapidly growing since Wily invented Wood Man.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby Super side swiper » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Not to mention Dr.Light is a GENIUS.
Super side swiper
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:05 pm

Astrobot7000 wrote:So, if the EMP wave has caused all the technology to shut down, how is any of this possible? How could light read the data on the on the drive Proto Man gave him? Also, how could any of the machines used to create the fluid operate? Etc.

Good issue otherwise!

Can't answer for the drive, but over two weeks, they might have formulated some of it by hand, then used it on more of their electronics to get them working to help make more and coat others.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Bean » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:45 am

Plus, Blues was shown to be immune somehow to the wave to begin with, so I'll go with that as Dr. Light fixed up the little area of his lab so he could read the data. He is a genius, after all.
Bean
BumbleCitizen

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:49 pm

Got the issue yesterday and read today.

Ah, now things feel like they're moving again, albeit a little slowly. The issue did have a lot of talking, which I wish we had gotten out of the way last issue. All of the background Pedro gives about the ruins and his history feels better as prelude material rather than the actual story. As a result, things are very slow going up until Rock and RMs leave in the plane. Not bad material really, just that it took a lot of time to essentially say "go here". The ending in the jungle and the fight against the Wily bots was fun, but it kind of ends suddenly. It's like the narrative itself agrees with me that we should be further along in the story by this point.

Lots of nice character moments in here from Rock, Light, Wily, Blues, Cut Man, Pedro, and probably best of all Bomb Man. More than once he has a moment of actual character to him that was lacking from previous issues, so it's nice to see he's developing more of a personality.

Art wise, this isn't Jampole's best issue. In particular, the Wily bots at the end of the issue look very... generic if that makes sense. They don't really pop out that much whereas Bates' made each look more unique in physique and balance. I'm really nitpicking, because most of the comic looks really nice, it's the last 3 to 4 pages that look a little rushed.
EDIT: Disregard this comment, my thoughts on the art are two posts down.

Overall, a really good issue that left me a lot more excited than last month's. Looking forward to part two next time!
Last edited by GentlemanX on Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby DBlack » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:09 pm

GentlemanX wrote:Got the issue yesterday and read today.

Ah, now things feel like they're moving again, albeit a little slowly. The issue did have a lot of talking, which I wish we had gotten out of the way last issue. All of the background Pedro gives about the ruins and his history feels better as prelude material rather than the actual story. As a result, things are very slow going up until Rock and RMs leave in the plane. Not bad material really, just that it took a lot of time to essentially say "go here". The ending in the jungle and the fight against the Wily bots was fun, but it kind of ends suddenly. It's like the narrative itself agrees with me that we should be further along in the story by this point.

Lots of nice character moments in here from Rock, Light, Wily, Blues, Cut Man, Pedro, and probably best of all Bomb Man. More than once he has a moment of actual character to him that was lacking from previous issues, so it's nice to see he's developing more of a personality.

Art wise, this isn't Jampole's best issue. In particular, the Wily bots at the end of the issue look very... generic if that makes sense. They don't really pop out that much whereas Bates' made each look more unique in physique and balance. I'm really nitpicking, because most of the comic looks really nice, it's the last 3 to 4 pages that look a little rushed.

Overall, a really good issue that left me a lot more excited than last month's. Looking forward to part two next time!

One nitpick with your review - Ryan Jampole isn't the artist for this arc; it's Mike Cavallaro, and given that he's apparently never drawn for the series before, I think he did an amazing job matching the style from the last few issues.

I agree with Bomb Man's spotlight. I also agree that Pedro's exposition was dense, and it might have made just as much sense story wise to use that time to show some of the events leading up to Rock's reawakening, but I don't know of a way around it or a place that Pedros' story could have been told better.

I also thought Flash Man got some nice moments in this one; he had more of a spotlight here than in the MM2 arc, even!

Can't wait for October!
DBlack
BumbleNewbie

Postby GentlemanX » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Can I make it more embarrassingly clear that I don't read the credits page? Sorry 'bout that, it looked very much like Jampole's work and just kind of assumed he did the issue. My mistake, and I'll change my tune immediately, excellent work in that case. I never even knew it was a separate artist and that's quite the achievement! The robot masters at the end still look a little rushed, but Cavallaro's so consistent with everything else it's even more nitpicky than before. Well done.
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicSoul » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:04 pm

Got the issue today. Pretty great. :)

I kind of liked how Cut Man didn't make as many puns as he usually does. Not to say I ever found them grating, but it's good to see that his dialogue doesn't revolve around them especially since the dire situation they're in. Though the part where he wanted to but couldn't because of Guts Man and Bomb Man's response made me laugh.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:07 pm

GentlemanX wrote:Can I make it more embarrassingly clear that I don't read the credits page? Sorry 'bout that, it looked very much like Jampole's work and just kind of assumed he did the issue. My mistake, and I'll change my tune immediately, excellent work in that case. I never even knew it was a separate artist and that's quite the achievement! The robot masters at the end still look a little rushed, but Cavallaro's so consistent with everything else it's even more nitpicky than before. Well done.

You also have to keep in mind that this is Cavallaro's first time drawing for Mega Man, and he was not familiar with the brand prior to working on this story arc. For his first foray into the franchise, he did a spectacular job, and he can only get better from here. I'm sure by #32, he'll have it down pat.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby Sunwalker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:45 pm

SonicSoul wrote:Got the issue today. Pretty great. :)

I kind of liked how Cut Man didn't make as many puns as he usually does. Not to say I ever found them grating, but it's good to see that his dialogue doesn't revolve around them especially since the dire situation they're in. Though the part where he wanted to but couldn't because of Guts Man and Bomb Man's response made me laugh.

On the other hand, he made a plant pun instead :P
Spoiler: show
Plant pun.jpg
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby SonicSoul » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:48 pm

I didn't say he made none whatsoever. Just not as many as he usually does.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Sunwalker » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:25 pm

SonicSoul wrote:I didn't say he made none whatsoever. Just not as many as he usually does.

I understood it. I was not "correcting you", I was just making a lighthearted remark ;)

EDIT: Speaking on plant puns...
Spoiler: show
Sonic's tree puns.jpg
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby SonicSoul » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:16 pm

While I don't think it'll happen, but it would be cool to see the rest of the Light Numbers show up as soon as they are found and coated like the game. However, I can't see there being any other kind of transportation for them to use to get to the Amazon unless there was an explanation in the game I'm overlooking.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby Penguin God » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:33 pm

As things are now, there's eighteen villains and seven heroes. I think the crowd's pretty packed already.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!