MM#29 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

MM#29 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:21 pm

Right - so - regular subscribers don't have it just yet. But I'm hearing the digital version is up. So this might have a slow start, but I'm going to get the discussion thread up and rolling.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Re: MM#29 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby Penguin God » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Some suscribers have it.
It's not as dark as the first issue, but it's dark alright. It's a good setup issue, and I like Wily trying to save the day with Ra Thor. It's probably going to get turned around on him, but it's a neat idea. The art is very good (although the Wily Robot Masters need some work) and it's nice to see Blues interact with Light, even just a little. There's definitely animosity, but with that and his talks to Wily Blues is certainly questioning his new purpose quickly. Kind of weird that Plant Man almost didn't talk at all, but it's still nice to see him I suppose. I wonder what they mean by his botanical parts.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Spin » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Really enjoying the arc.

Spoilers.

Mega Man slowly opens his eyes recalling some events from last issue as his system boots up.

We see Mega Man in what appears to be a rejuvenation pod. With Light, Pedro, and Plant Man working in the background as Pedro announces that Mega Man woke up. They let Mega Man out as he starts asking questions about what is going on. Light explains that he along with the world's technology have been offline for two weeks. And that he and Pedro have spent that time developing a special liquid coating they used in the pod to protect him from the effects of the Black Out. Mega Man demands to know where Roll is.

They take him to a room where Roll is offline in a capsule with life support headgear ala Super Adventure Rockman. And Cut Man, Guts Man, and Bomb Man are propped up on metal tables on the wall. Mega Man fears the worse with Light explaining she's currently stable though is unable to repair her in the condition of the world. He goes on to explain that her condition will worsen as time goes on. Mega Man refuses to standby and let that happen.

Pedro introduces himself to Mega Man, who then introduces Mega Man to Plant Man. Mega Man is ready to head out. With Light telling him to wait as Pedro has an idea of what is going on. Pedro explains the day the Lanfront Ruins rose from the ground four years ago, he was part of a research team sent out by the UN to study the ruins. As the UN helicopters got close, the EM wave around the ruins caused the helicopters to crash. Pedro had his arm broken as a result, and the survivors began to explore the ruins. After they were rescued, Pedro who had his arm amputated at this time, tried to petition another trip. Only to be refused. He goes on to say that he felt an evil presence when he explored the ruins. And due to the strange EM Wave that crashed the helicopters, he's positive the ruins are the source of the Black Out.

Mega Man asks them to coat Rush, but Light tells him he'll need more support. Plant Man and Mega Man carry Auto and once fixed. They began to repair the three Robot Masters and Rush. Cut Man, Bomb Man, and Rush are coated and revived, and humorously save carrying Guts Man to the chamber for last.

Bomb Man wonders what happened to Break Man. With Mega Man questioning Roll's comment about him being their brother to Light. Light tells him about two weeks earlier.

Flashback. Light climbs up the building and finds Break Man crouched down regretting his actions. Light asks if he's Blues. Which causes him to turn around angry and aim his buster at him. He says it wasn't suppose to be like this. And gives him a flashdrive that'll "protect his new kids" and teleports away.

Light goes on to say, they used the data from the flashdrive to develop the coating. Which only confuses Mega Man about Break Man's allegiance. Light tells him they can worry about it later. Cut Man wonders how they can all go to the Lanfront Ruins. With Pedro mentioning an old plane Light had, which Light remembers he kept in storage. They use the last of the coating on the plane.

The plane is ready for take off as Guts Man tells Light not to worry. Cut Man asks Plant Man if he'll come up with them, which he refuses instead choosing to help the doctors try to make more coating solution and get more Robot Masters involved. Mega Man bids goodbye to Roll and heads off.

Meanwhile Break Man teleports inside the temple of the ruins as he is attacked by Ra Moon. Wily opens a door and asks Break Man to hurry inside.

We see Wily had been building a certain robot as he talks with Break Man. Wily questions Break Man how he manage to make it. Who answers the teleporter is working barely and has been alternating between teleporting short distances and walking. Knowing the situation of the Black Out, an unhappy Break Man demands to know what Wily did, as Wily pins blame on Ra Moon. Wily goes on to say he wasn't planning anything as big as the Black Out and got used instead. And has no idea why Ra Moon isn't going past the door to get him. Break Man decides to go destroy Ra Moon himself. Which Wily tells him he can't do alone. Break Man says he'll get help from his Robot Masters, which Wily says Ra Moon has taken over, though is working on a new robot built from Ra Moon's technology, Ra Thor. And they should wait until it's complete.

Meanwhile the plane flies over the rainforest as Cut Man mentions the good thing about the Black Out is no worry about Wily causing problems. Suddenly the wing of the plane is destroyed with Metal Blades causing the plane to crash land.

Out of the plane. Mega Man tells everyone to be careful as they were shot down and the attackers are probably nearby. At that moment, they run into Flash Man, Metal Man, Bubble Man, and Heat Man. Who Mega Man is surprised to see rebuilt again. Mega Man and the MM1 Robot Masters go on the attack, as the MM2 robots have a slight advantage in the fight. Mega Man regrets not having their weapon data anymore, but claims to have a plan to Gutsman. He starts by giving orders to each of the Robot Master to follow as we get a glimpse of Light messing with a radio. Pedro, Plant Man, and Auto in despair, and Roll.

- Short Circuits -

Mega Man asks Plant Man how his systems are running. Plant Man goes on to say he has an embarrassing backup system procedure. It is revealed that Light and Pedro put Plant Man in a giant planting pot. With Light giving him fertilizer and Pedro watering him.
Spin
BumbleClan

Postby LilacDownDeep » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:10 pm

I liked it, great introduction to the Lanfront Ruins, as well as great explanations all around that make sense compared to the original game.

Also... Heat Man is in a hot spring.

What.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:01 pm

LilacDownDeep wrote:I liked it, great introduction to the Lanfront Ruins, as well as great explanations all around that make sense compared to the original game.

Also... Heat Man is in a hot spring.

What.

1) It's probably cool to him.

2) He's probably the one making it hot anyway. XP

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby ClareSilver47 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:13 pm

I have to say that the dark tune of this arc is a very nice change of pace to WWC. Now I wish this arc had gone ahead as originally planned and ended on MM 25, it is truly turning out to be a superb arc
ClareSilver47
BumbleNoble

Postby Striker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:03 am

Let me tell ya somethin'! This is probably the best issue ive read so far.
Striker
BumbleClan

Postby Morgil » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:04 pm

I don't know what happened, if there was a shipping error or something, but i finally got the issue yesterday, right along side the next issue of Sonic Universe. Man, i am just amazed by how dark this story is getting, and this is still only the beginning.

One thing that caught me off guard was when i turned the page and saw some half built black and yellow robot with large head fins sitting there half-built in Wiley's lab. I did a literal double-take before realizing it wasn't Bass. Then a whole page later Wiley mentions its name. I recognized the name Ra Thor, but since i never played the game this arc is based on, i had no idea until now what the thing was or what it looked like.
Morgil
BumbleCitizen

Postby Max1996 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Is the comic out yet?
Max1996
BumbleFan

Postby EvilEddie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:28 pm

Digitally yes but it seems to have been delayed a week in stores.

Despite the original solicitation and previews (which oddly no one posted in this thread so here you go http://www.destructoid.com/mega-man-29- ... 1563.phtml ) saying it'd be out yesterday the advertisement for it last month in Mega Man 28 said it'd be out next week. So I guess it was some sort change that not all the various divisions were aware of.
EvilEddie
BumbleFan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:13 pm

Loved the issue and loved the changes to the plot of SAR. That game had a very simplistic narrative. But holy crap this arc is dark. There's such a huge body count, and the casualties don't end with death. Pedro is going to be a recurring character and we'll have a constant reminder of Ra Moon for the rest of the series. (would love to see Ra Moon as a recurring villain, actually).

Only thing I didn't like with this issue is that there's a lot of "telling' instead of showing. Mega Man is told thathe world is in a bad way, Proto Man TELLS Dr. Wily that he saw some bad stuff. We're TOLD that people died on the UN trip but we don't see what's going on in the world. How are Krantz and Stern dealing with the chaos? What's the world like? What's Emerald Spears doing now that all robots (and bombs) are out of order?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby DBlack » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Mavrickindigo wrote:Loved the issue and loved the changes to the plot of SAR. That game had a very simplistic narrative. But holy crap this arc is dark. There's such a huge body count, and the casualties don't end with death. Pedro is going to be a recurring character and we'll have a constant reminder of Ra Moon for the rest of the series. (would love to see Ra Moon as a recurring villain, actually).

Only thing I didn't like with this issue is that there's a lot of "telling' instead of showing. Mega Man is told thathe world is in a bad way, Proto Man TELLS Dr. Wily that he saw some bad stuff. We're TOLD that people died on the UN trip but we don't see what's going on in the world. How are Krantz and Stern dealing with the chaos? What's the world like? What's Emerald Spears doing now that all robots (and bombs) are out of order?

I agree that those would be fantastic to see; I think the way the arc is structured means that we may not see much of that, at least in the four parts of Blackout itself.

Part of me wonders if there won't be a standalone or two dealing with the aftermath in the rest of the world, coupled with Gamma being built by Wily and Light as a way to at least nominally prevent the devastation from happening again. (Ha.)
DBlack
BumbleNewbie

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:24 am

I sort of like the telling; in a way, it kind of helps make you feel more in touch with what's going on.

I mean, think about it: No television, no internet, no radio... word of mouth is probably how any info is being spread at this point, and that's how we're receiving the information.

Sure, the medium allows the writer (and us) to potentially go beyond that, but I kind of like the more "imagine it for yourself, as the characters must be" aspect.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:17 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I sort of like the telling; in a way, it kind of helps make you feel more in touch with what's going on.

I mean, think about it: No television, no internet, no radio... word of mouth is probably how any info is being spread at this point, and that's how we're receiving the information.

Sure, the medium allows the writer (and us) to potentially go beyond that, but I kind of like the more "imagine it for yourself, as the characters must be" aspect.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

That's true, that's true. I was thinking of how the game would often flash to the U.N. where they were deciding if they should give in to Dr. Wily or not (Dr. Wily caused the EMP to scare them, but Ra Moon was strengthening it beyond what Wily thought it was)
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby LilacDownDeep » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:03 am

That and we've seen enough 'showing' in the last issue at the last few pages. Ian doesn't have too much space to just outright show what is going on. Essentially what they did was what you would call a 'mission statement' sort of thing. You know before a mission you're explained the situation and what you must do.

Yeah, that.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!