Does Capcom owe the fans?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby lalalei2001 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:59 pm

Gonzo wrote:
"We're giving out free copies of every game we've made in the last four years!"

I genuinely do not remember that ever happening. (But if it did and Megaman was inexplicably absent, then [i]why wouldn't anyone be allowed to point that out?![/i)]

Is this thread just going to be one long string of "Let us point at the Megaman fandom and laugh!"?


That was a hypothetical ^^;
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1451
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby Oakie620 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:21 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:I think if Capcom had been honest about why it was canceled, or, in a best-case scenario, not canceled it at all, things would have been better. And given the drama over everything Capcom's done or hasn't done, yeah, I think they owe us something other than merch.

But what do they owe us? What could they offer that would POSSIBLY erase or even soften the memory of the cancellation? They've released mega Man 1-6 on virtual Console, have plans to release the very rare Game Boy games, have had books, toys, and other merchandise in the works. It's not a new game, but it's something.

But even if it was a game, I have the feeling that no matter WHAT Capcom does to try and appease the fans, it will not work because it's not Legends 3.

So given that, i dunno if anything they gave us would matter. And i think they know that, and that's why there haven't been new games.

It's sad, really.


I can't speak for anybody else, but as far as Legends 3 goes, a honest explanation is the least they could have given. Promising full transparency during the game's development, only to deny said transparency regarding the cancellation only adds to the bitter taste in the mouth. Capcom might have their reasons, but it does little to mitigate the disappointment they have caused.

As for what Capcom could possibly do to make up for it? Although Capcom certainly hasn't forgotten about Mega Man, they have yet to do what the brand needs the most: to move forward.

  • Mega Man 10 was released three years ago, and like MM9, it tried to capitalize on the iconic, but dated style from the NES era.
  • We haven't seen a new MMX game since 2004 (remakes notwithstanding).
  • MMZ4 concluded the series in 2005, and the ZX series is hanging since 2007.
  • Legends goes without saying.
  • Battle Network 6 closed the series in 2006, and Star Force has been in limbo since 2009.

Capcom spun off seven variations of Mega Man for different audiences, and yet they can't seem to cater to any of them in modern times. The only new Mega Man game released recently was Rockman Xover, and without dwelling into the game's merits (or lack thereof), the contents are largely based on what came before, adding little to the table.

The truth is: every MM game cancelled in the last five years (or at least, the ones we know of) represented an attempt to do something new with the brand, and they weren't given a chance in the market. Mega Man may live on through the comic book and other merchandise, but as far as the games are concerned, Mega Man continues to stagnate.

Mega Man's debut in Smash Bros has been lauded as a much needed update for the character. If Capcom could take advantage of the momentum to revitalize the series, perhaps they can begin to redeem themselves and give Mega Man a new future.

Tcat wrote:I can't agree with that more. Anything they do is still going to backfire cause "baw not Legends 3".
"We're giving out free copies of every game we've made in the last four years!"
"Bawww Megaman isn't on this liiiiiist"
Whatever they try from here out is going to be nitpicked to death because "Capcom = Evil".

The fact this thread exists two YEARS after the game ended is proof enough.


The fact the subject is discussed years after the event is the reason one should not toy with their fans.

If you don't care about Mega Man Legends, it's your right, but your attitude is proving to be far more obnoxious than what you accused the Legends fanbase of in an earlier post. You've made your point, now if you could kindly show some respect for differing opinions, it would be appreciated.
Last edited by Oakie620 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Oakie620
BumbleFan
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 2:06 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby LilacDownDeep » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:40 am

^ Yes, yes, YES. That is what I mean! Capcom pumps game after game with little innovation because they have little faith in the market these days on what does and doesn't work. They see "Oh hey we have some sales going on here. Pump more into the project and make another game just like it! Or no, reboot it!" On top of that, they have incredibly high standards. Some of you may argue for Capcom closing most of these Mega Man games claiming that sales wouldn't go through on Legends 3...

... But look at this, Super Smash Brothers wasn't expected to be a huge hit. And look where it is now. Nobody expected it. If Capcom could put more effort through advertising and their innovations instead of Inafune forcing himself to go through Chessmaster Gambits to create innovative games, then maybe they could actually turn a profit (I'm half wondering if the massive publicity over this was a failed gambit by Inafune as well to force Capcom to go through with it). Then again, remember how Kirby's Return to Dreamland was? It took 4 attempts and many years to finally launch something, and we only saw one of those attempts. Still sold fairly well.

EDITS: Also, I'm looking at this through a different standpoint. Yes I'm unhappy about how Mega Man is not doing so good, but so do all games. They go in slumps, I'm talking about Capcom's game series as a whole.

Also the only reason Okamiden did as well as people thought was because of the internet word of mouth and increasing sales of Okami. That is NOT something someone should rely on.
User avatar
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1675
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: The Lone Star State

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:07 am

LilacDownDeep wrote:... But look at this, Super Smash Brothers wasn't expected to be a huge hit. And look where it is now. Nobody expected it.

This dawned on me more than ever when I discovered "Tokyo Jungle" yesterday and realized that they just don't make quirky, experimental games like that anymore...
User avatar
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby Penguin God » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:22 am

But... Tokyo Jungle's really new. They've been doing the sequel pumping ever since the NES days too, business hasn't changed THAT much. You just can't look at Capcom for that sort of originality.
User avatar
Penguin God
BumbleCult
 
Posts: 8406
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby LilacDownDeep » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Best part is Tokyo Jungle was developed by Sony. Which I find hilarious for some reason. I kind of want it though, I mean... animals in a desolate Tokyo wasteland? Heck yes.

I mean, the only fresh fun things Capcom does is by it's third party developers... and then they never advertise them, leading them to assume they aren't good games and they never expand on them. Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe are only the lucky ones..

And then Clover shut down. I don't even know if Capcom even HAS any more third party developers.
User avatar
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble
 
Posts: 1675
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: The Lone Star State

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby The KKM » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Tcat wrote:
lalalei2001 wrote:But even if it was a game, I have the feeling that no matter WHAT Capcom does to try and appease the fans, it will not work because it's not Legends 3.

So given that, i dunno if anything they gave us would matter. And i think they know that, and that's why there haven't been new games.

It's sad, really.

I can't agree with that more. Anything they do is still going to backfire cause "baw not Legends 3".
"We're giving out free copies of every game we've made in the last four years!"
"Bawww Megaman isn't on this liiiiiist"
Whatever they try from here out is going to be nitpicked to death because "Capcom = Evil".

The fact this thread exists two YEARS after the game ended is proof enough.


The fact that two years after the fact people still go "Baaaaaw Legends 3 fans lel idiots" is proof enough some people will never stop letting their preferences cloud their judgement no matter what they do.
User avatar
The KKM
BumbleClan
 
Posts: 4708
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:40 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Penguin God wrote:But... Tokyo Jungle's really new.

I didn't mean literally...
User avatar
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby Razorsaw » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:25 am

Everyone keeps talking about Capcom, but where is the mention of Inafune's responsibility? Walking out of a game's development - a game whose previous installments he himself acknowledged put Capcom in the red - and burning bridges in the process... What the heck did he EXPECT to happen?
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby Bean » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:04 am

I think what's more troublesome is that Capcom has stayed the course with Inafune's "West is best" mentality, which is most certainly not true to me when it comes to handheld games. I wish companies like Square, Capcom, and others would actually try to make an effort on the 3DS before it becomes yet another Nintendo-only device.

And to answer the main question, no, Capcom owes the fans nothing. That said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least listen to them before you miss your predicted target expectations and alienate every fan base you have left. I think they need to take a good look at what made their games special, even if the talent responsible for many of those games has left.
Bean
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby Gonzo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:11 pm

but where is the mention of Inafune's responsibility?

Well, between all the money that was put towards the project and the way the fans were being involved, not to mention it being left in the hands of a team that was quite passionate about it (and so likely wouldn't give up on it easily), I think Inafune reasonably thought that Capcom WOULDN'T proceed to commit PR suicide and toss all that aside (well, losing the money that was spent, at least).

And for what it's worth, when the project was dropped, Inafune offered to take it off Capcom's hands and finish it completely out of his own pocket, but Capcom refused.
User avatar
Gonzo
BumbleKnight
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:09 am

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby Razorsaw » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Uh, no. He offered to develop it under CONTRACT, not to fund it himself.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/31 ... legends-3/

Considering the bridges he burnt on his way out, I can't say this is unsurprising.

And "all that money"? It wasn't even technically GREENLIT yet. I'm not saying they hadn't invested any funds into development, but it likely wasn't anything even approaching a full game's budget.
Razorsaw
BumbleCitizen
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:14 pm

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:48 am

As noted, Capcom didn't cancel Rockman Online. Additionally, they didn't cancel Maverick Hunter, either.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
User avatar
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite
 
Posts: 10987
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Balloon Fight Arena

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby Sunwalker » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:06 pm

I am giving Capcom the benefit of doubt, so I am assuming that the long time without new games is because of they are being careful in order to create something great. A half-baked game at this point would do a big damage to the brand...

In the mean time, the comic itself is already a great way to keep awareness about Megaman and to give the franchise the care it deserves :).
User avatar
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:49 am

Capcom owes me a Mega Man pin, because they decided to start offering to those who purchased Mega Man X5 after it came out, leaving those of us who preordered with bupkis. :evil:

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
User avatar
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite
 
Posts: 10987
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 pm
Location: Balloon Fight Arena

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests