Does Capcom owe the fans?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby Dejimon11 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Ever since Inafune left Capcom the company has been cancelling the games

Mega Man Legends 3
Mega Man Universe
Mega Man Online
Maverick Hunter(im convince people are mad not because they wanted to play it but they wanted to get mad)

He was also left out in Marvel vs Capcom 3(although Zero and Tron were in it)
Used as the joke character in Street Fighter X Tekken(although it was Inafunes approval so im letting it slide)

But besides that Mega Man has had 50+ games something most video game franchises wish they had, several remakes, a toy line(which is still going), tv shows, comics and manga so do we really need another game at the moment and do they really owe us? to my knowledge mega man games dont sell(except MM2) well heck the first one didnt sell at all so its a miracle that it got several sequels and spinoffs
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Re: Does Capcom owe the fans?

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Well it was a real jerk move to tease us with the sequel to a cult classic that fans were waiting 10 years to see, then yank it away from us.

And I would have played Maverick Hunter. It looked and sounded fun.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Dejimon11 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:47 pm

yeah thats Legends 3 move has been on my mind. They said that there wasnt enough fan support but lets be honest how big was the fan support originally? It certainly wasnt enough that it took almost year for 100,000 strong to reach their goal. If fans really wanted MML3 they would of been persistent they'd tell Capcom what they really want and then they would try harder the fans werent doing their part.

As for Maverick Hunter you would but most people would of treated it like Bomber Man act zero or better yet DMC Devil May Cry
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Maverick Hunter looked bad, but I don't think people are even too angry over that one. I wouldn't say they owe the fans anything, as they don't, but they're certainly showing some poor management of their brand. All those poor spinoffs existing showed a problem that couldn't be solved just by cancelling things.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Tcat » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:34 pm

They don't owe anyone anything. Does Eidos owe me anything for cancelling TWO Legacy of Kain sequels since 2003 after Amy Hennings left? Games get cancelled. Things happen. Plans don't work out. It's been over a year people need to get over this "boo Capcom" nonsense. I mean... Gods.. How many people are still upset Sonic Xtreme was cancelled? Or ___ character wasn't in Smash Brothers? Ok, yeah, it sucks, but get over it. I think at this point the biggest "mistake" Capcom made was having the fans involved with Legends' creation... now everyone's acting all butthurt for no reason. They should have just had us butt out and told us three years from now "yeah we worked on it, but plans fell through. Sorry about that".

Rockman Online wasn't even part of Capcom it was a third party joint effort and was cancelled by NeoWiz after restructuring of the company.
Maverick Hunter didn't even look anything like a Megaman game. :|

I still hold that Legends wouldn't have turned a profit for Capcom. The fanbase for Legends is WAY too tiny even if they scream the loudest and tend to be the most obnoxious these days. -_-

The only thing game companies owe us fans is an enjoyable glitch-free experience with solid gameplay.
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby Gonzo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:53 pm

They said that there wasnt enough fan support but lets be honest how big was the fan support originally?

Ah yes, the old "it was all the fans' fault!" bullcrap.

Regardless of how long it took 100,000 Strong to reach its goal, that "answer" we recently got as to why it was cancelled heavily implied that Capcom wouldn't have released MML3 no matter what (because they just assumed it wouldn't sell, without even releasing the demo--which would've been the only thing of substance in the eShop for MONTHS).

Ok, yeah, it sucks, but get over it.

I hasten to point out that Xtreme's cancellation wasn't made after involving the fans in the project as closely as possible (only to drop the project and imediately scrub their hands of t as if nothing happened--the Japanese devroom was later taken down for vague reasons, for instance), nor (IIRC) was it followed by a string of equally annoying business decisions that did nothing to help the company's reputation in the slightest.

It's not just Legends at this point, it's nearly everything Capcom's done since then. To tell people to "just get over it" kinda ignores all that, and is rather condescending and rude to boot.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby Tcat » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:18 pm

That was exactly my point. They shouldn't have involved the fans in the first place whether they released the game or not. It was destined to hurt feelings. Now everyone's all up in arms blaming Capcom for everything like an entire company is just stroking its evil handlebar moustash "Mwahaha"ing in its evil lair and kicking old ladies down stairs into burning buildings of orphans.
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby LilacDownDeep » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:31 pm

Regardless of what Capcom has or hasn't done, they still have made some very terrible business decisions over the past many years. Even starting with Okami and many of their original games, they never properly advertise and then sell poorly. Not every game is going to be a sleeper hit like Minecraft. So for all we know, the listed games could actually be a total hit.

So it's not just Mega Man, but many of their decisions not to port the more popular franchises, making sequel after sequel after reboot. It may not be up to rushed crappy levels like Sonic '06, but the fact remains that they poop out just as many games.

If anything, someone needs to slap them and teach them how to do better business.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Actually, Mega Man X7 was about as bad as Sonic 06, but was only less bad because the experience was shorter.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Oakie620 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:10 pm

Tcat wrote:That was exactly my point. They shouldn't have involved the fans in the first place whether they released the game or not. It was destined to hurt feelings.

It's easy to say that after the fact. Most of the time, we don't know what works until we try it. There are times we need to take risks to gain results - according to Keiji Inafune, he risked his very career to put Dead Rising and Lost Planet on the shelves - and the decision to involve fans in the development stage had the potential to impact the gaming industry as we know it. The project did not falter due to lack of interest or low sales; it faltered because Capcom backpedaled before even releasing the Prototype Version, which was intended to gauge whether Legends 3 could be a commercial success or not.

When someone creates expectations, builds on those expectations and then fails to deliver, we are owed satisfaction. Cancelling Legends 3 didn't just deny us a sequel that had been anticipated for over a decade - it also damaged Capcom's reputation in the eyes of most Mega Man fans. Ignoring public relations is poor business practice, especially when you make said relations the backbone of a project. To say Capcom owes nothing to the fans after encouraging us to join the Devroom, participate in official discussions, vote in their polls and submit entries to their contests is to spit on all the time, effort and personal investment put in the project.
Last edited by Oakie620 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakie620
BumbleFan

Postby lalalei2001 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:38 pm

I say yes AND no.

Legends 3 was the BIG moment that made everyone hate Capcom. And given the time and effort fans put into the project, as well as the very vague reason for its cancellation, a lot of that hate was justified.

BUT, what REALLY happened--and what Capcom SHOULD have said to begin with--was what happens most times a game is canceled. The game was in its earliest planning stages. Many, many games that get canceled at that point in time are rarely even previewed, and a lot of it stays behind closed doors. Legends 3 being canceled, at that point in its development, was nothing new in the game industry.

The problem was that everyone knew about it, and EVERYONE was mad.

I think if Capcom had been honest about why it was canceled, or, in a best-case scenario, not canceled it at all, things would have been better. And given the drama over everything Capcom's done or hasn't done, yeah, I think they owe us something other than merch.

But what do they owe us? What could they offer that would POSSIBLY erase or even soften the memory of the cancellation? They've released mega Man 1-6 on virtual Console, have plans to release the very rare Game Boy games, have had books, toys, and other merchandise in the works. It's not a new game, but it's something.

But even if it was a game, I have the feeling that no matter WHAT Capcom does to try and appease the fans, it will not work because it's not Legends 3.

So given that, i dunno if anything they gave us would matter. And i think they know that, and that's why there haven't been new games.

It's sad, really.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Tcat » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:46 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:But even if it was a game, I have the feeling that no matter WHAT Capcom does to try and appease the fans, it will not work because it's not Legends 3.

So given that, i dunno if anything they gave us would matter. And i think they know that, and that's why there haven't been new games.

It's sad, really.

I can't agree with that more. Anything they do is still going to backfire cause "baw not Legends 3".
"We're giving out free copies of every game we've made in the last four years!"
"Bawww Megaman isn't on this liiiiiist"
Whatever they try from here out is going to be nitpicked to death because "Capcom = Evil".

The fact this thread exists two YEARS after the game ended is proof enough.
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby Dejimon11 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Tcat wrote:
lalalei2001 wrote:But even if it was a game, I have the feeling that no matter WHAT Capcom does to try and appease the fans, it will not work because it's not Legends 3.

It's sad, really.

I can't agree with that more. Anything they do is still going to backfire cause "baw not Legends 3".
"Bawww Megaman isn't on this liiiiiist"
Whatever they try from here out is going to be nitpicked to death because "Capcom = Evil".

The fact this thread exists two YEARS after the game ended is proof enough.

true its kinda sad and at the same times the fans really arent doing anything to make themselves look good either. If i see a new trailer of an upcoming capcom game theres always people commenting "wheres mega man?" "you remake ducktales but not mega man?"(its not like he had 3 remakes already" and i think the worst comment is "Nintendo should buy Mega Man they would do the franchises better" but still find it ironic that we've gone from 'Capcom when are you going to stop making mega man games" to "Capcom when are you going to make another Mega Man game"
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby LilacDownDeep » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Most of Capcom's recent releases have been complete trainwrecks anyway.

And I wouldn't call X7 the equivalent of '06. At least X7 was playable.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby Gonzo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:44 pm

I genuinely do not remember that ever happening. (But if it did and Megaman was inexplicably absent, then [i]why wouldn't anyone be allowed to point that out?![/i)]

Is this thread just going to be one long string of "Let us point at the Megaman fandom and laugh!"?
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!