IC Chips and Memory Backups

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

IC Chips and Memory Backups

Postby DBlack » Thu May 16, 2013 12:22 pm

This just occurred to me - the last few issues have talked about the IC chip housing the Robot Master's personality and experiences. Presumably if it's destroyed, then whatever copy you make would just be a copy of the robot; it wouldn't be "them" in the sense that the RM wouldn't have that chip containing the experiences and personality of the previous body.

But when Ra-Moon recreates Quick Man and the other Robot Masters, Wily mentions that he had been receiving memory back-ups from his Robot Masters, and that's why Quick Man has all of his memories up to his battle with Rock, and his charming personality intact.

So, do the IC chips work independently of these wireless memory backups? If that's the case, is the destruction of an IC chip truly a major concern given that the data can be backed up? Is the backup that restored Quick Man less reliable than an intact IC chip, hence the worry? Is this something that even matters or would have any bearing on the story line, or just nitpickings while bored at work? :)
DBlack
BumbleNewbie

Re: IC Chips and Memory Backups

Postby Penguin God » Thu May 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Basically, the memory backups thing was only possible because of Ra Moon. People complained that since death had no permanence for anybody (anyone could just have a memory backup at any time so who cares if they die?), all the tension/progress was just completely gone. They pointed out that in the games, Robot Masters and the rest are mortal: they use Identity Circuit chips, which are irreplacable, to house their personalities. This has been brought into the comic: if you really need more of an explanation, remember that the Wilybots in 2 were planned to lose. Their IC chips were probably protected for such a contingency.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby TheFatPanda » Thu May 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks for making this thread since I recently thought of a question I wanted to ask.

Would destroying a robot in the Mega Man universe be seen as murder?

From what I've come to understand, IC Chips are essentially no different from human brains, in that they provide the robot with a complex personality and mindset like that of a human, so much so that being able to replicate it on its own (no memory back-up available) is almost impossible to do, in the same way that it's impossible to replace a human brain.
Last edited by TheFatPanda on Thu May 16, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Penguin God » Thu May 16, 2013 3:15 pm

Robots are near-human, but not enough to be considered real people in Mega Man (by the Mega Man citizens anyway.) You can be friends with them, but they're usually treated more like property. Also, not all robots are anywhere near Robot Master capabilities.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu May 16, 2013 6:11 pm

I think Ian forgot, we told him about it, and then he came up with a mini-retcon for it
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby LilacDownDeep » Thu May 16, 2013 9:59 pm

'Killing' a robot would probably be seen more as 'destruction of valuable property' than anything.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby Astrobot7000 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:54 am

I think it is just a plot hole, really. If the I.C. chips are destroyed then they are essentially dead. You could make another Quick Man of course, but it would just be the body with a new mind. The whole memory back-up thing is, I think, just a mistake on Ian's part. Or we can just say that the super advanced Ra Moon did it and leave it at that. although that makes me wonder why Wily doesn't just make an army of Quick Men to smoke Mega Man. Ahh, but then we wouldn't have a series.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri May 17, 2013 10:24 am

I thought that in WC, Mega Man said that Wily only did it once, and with "considerable" help, referencing back to Ra Moon?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri May 17, 2013 3:19 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I thought that in WC, Mega Man said that Wily only did it once, and with "considerable" help, referencing back to Ra Moon?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

rght, but when Ra Moon first did it, Wily said he had a memory back up of every one of the robot masters and acted like reviving them wasn't too big of a thing.

But since then, people told Ian about the IC chip, and he's been mentioning it every issue as if to apologize for forgetting about that bit of information

EDIT: I think the biggest thing we're going to take from this is that Ian plans on having characters killed off for good in this series, seeing as the Genesis Unit was supposedly dead
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Fri May 17, 2013 4:26 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I thought that in WC, Mega Man said that Wily only did it once, and with "considerable" help, referencing back to Ra Moon?

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Yes, but what Ra Moon did was copy virtual backups Wily had. Mega Man, meanwhile, explained in WC that an IC chip can't be copied.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri May 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Hmm, I was under the impression that Wily had some of the data, but Ra Moon managed to somehow bring it together in an unexpected fashion.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Fri May 17, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm a bit confused by all of this too. You destroy a robot, you destroy its I.C. chip... so that basically erases the robot's memory and personality. OK... that's definitely bad in terms of Mega Man and Roll and what-not... but how concerned would Dr. Wily really be with maintaining a robot's personality and memory? Why not just build a new robot with a new I.C. chip? I'm sure he hangs onto those blueprints...

Then again, I asked a very similar question with Net Navis in Battle Network. Keep their memory backed-up regularly, and suddenly getting deleted isn't such a big deal... for anyone but MegaMan, of course...
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby lalalei2001 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Part of the backup issue is the question of sentience--if a robot knew it was being backed up, how wold they feel about it? If they knew THEY were a backup, would they feel like a copy of themselves?
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Penguin God » Fri May 17, 2013 9:20 pm

On the matter of Wily, he's a bad guy, but in almost every continuity he's almost as respectful to robots as Light is. He likes his evil sons, just in a petty jerk sort of way.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri May 17, 2013 10:05 pm

lalalei2001 wrote:Part of the backup issue is the question of sentience--if a robot knew it was being backed up, how wold they feel about it? If they knew THEY were a backup, would they feel like a copy of themselves?

Does it really matter? When a human says jump, a non reploid should say "how high"
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!