Mega Man #29 Preview

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Mega Man #29 Preview

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed May 15, 2013 2:12 pm

Newsarama has it.

It's only 4 issues oh, Astro's not going to be happy about that can't say I'm to thrilled either. I don't know how to do that Cover posting thing but a touch I noticed is that Archie's now doing that creators names on the cover thing that most other comics do.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Re: Mega Man #29 Preview

Postby Penguin God » Wed May 15, 2013 2:29 pm

The story looks neat, putting it in four issues does not. I like the main cover, but... that variant...
Why? Seriously, who decided a cover that looked so bad could be acceptable? It is the absolute worst. Seriously, even for their "guest super star" covers WHY
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed May 15, 2013 2:41 pm

I gotta agree on both those thoughts. This is suppose to be the big game changing arc and they're only telling it in 4 issues? Yeah, no.

As for the vairent, look I get that Dean Hapsil is a big name artist (He'll be doing The Fox for Red Circle) but his take on Mega Man is just...yikes.

I can't wait to see this new interior artist though I've never heard of him and have no clue what his style looks like.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby The KKM » Wed May 15, 2013 2:46 pm

>Dean Hapsil cover
Well at least it's not Greg Horn. Here's waiting for the next celebrity cover in which Archie desperately tries to gain some mainstream cred by having Liefeld draw Mega Man.

And don't forget this arc got one extra issue as a prelude, here's wishing Ian uses it well.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby SonicSoul » Wed May 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Well, that does seem like a bummer it'll be a four-issue arc again (despite the prelude of course), I can't really say this surprises me in the slightest. Still, I'm not going to be too worried about it just yet.

But yeah, that variant cover...yeesh.
Last edited by SonicSoul on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSoul
BumbleClan

Postby ShadowBat20 » Wed May 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Captain Harlock wrote:...by having Liefeld draw Mega Man.

Everyone, whatever you do, do NOT try to picture how that would look. Just...just trust me on this. *shivers*

*ahem* Anyway, really looking forward to this arc. Too bad it's only 4-parts.
ShadowBat20
BumbleClan

Postby LilacDownDeep » Wed May 15, 2013 4:17 pm

That variant is so lacking. I mean it's just Mega Man posing. I mean I like the style, but honestly. You can do better than that.

Captain Harlock wrote:Here's waiting for the next celebrity cover in which Archie desperately tries to gain some mainstream cred by having Liefeld draw Mega Man.

I already imagined it...

Spoiler: show
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby Mustachio » Wed May 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Wait, what's wrong with it being 4-issues again? I thought this wasn't a game adaptation (this isn't the tie-in for Super Adventure Rockman, is it? I just thought it was an original story about Ra Moon).

The only problem I have with 4-issue arcs is when they are used for game adaptations because the first two weren't paced very well. "Time Keeps on Slipping" and "Spiritus Ex Machina" were original storylines and fit fine in 4 issues.
Mustachio
BumbleClan

Postby TheFatPanda » Wed May 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Mustachio wrote:Wait, what's wrong with it being 4-issues again? I thought this wasn't a game adaptation (this isn't the tie-in for Super Adventure Rockman, is it? I just thought it was an original story about Ra Moon).

Presumably, the game is of a much larger scale than most Mega Man games, so much so that 4 issues wouldn't be enough to do it justice. Not that I'd know mind you, I'm only assuming...
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Mustachio » Wed May 15, 2013 5:02 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:
Mustachio wrote:Wait, what's wrong with it being 4-issues again? I thought this wasn't a game adaptation (this isn't the tie-in for Super Adventure Rockman, is it? I just thought it was an original story about Ra Moon).

Presumably, the game is of a much larger scale than most Mega Man games, so much so that 4 issues wouldn't be enough to do it justice. Not that I'd know mind you, I'm only assuming...

So it IS the Super Rockman Adventure tie-in storyline, then. Got ya'.
Mustachio
BumbleClan

Postby Penguin God » Wed May 15, 2013 5:03 pm

The only problem I have with 4-issue arcs is when they are used for game adaptations because the first two weren't paced very well. "Time Keeps on Slipping" and "Spiritus Ex Machina" were original storylines and fit fine in 4 issues.

They keep promising "we won't just do 4-part arcs" because the pacing has a lot of artificial padding and rushing to fit in the format, but then it keeps happening anyway. 4 issue arcs is great for some stories, it may be great for Blackout: but just like the 2 issue format of Iron Dominion, making everything fit the same length no matter what the story is can only lead to quality slippage.
But Ra Moon gets 5 at least, and hopefully that change will actually come through after it. We'll see.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Wed May 15, 2013 5:05 pm

TheFatPanda wrote:

Super Adventure Rockman doesn't have much justice to do...
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby TheFatPanda » Wed May 15, 2013 5:05 pm

Mustachio wrote:So it IS the Super Rockman Adventure tie-in storyline, then. Got ya'.

Well, I don't know that for a fact since I don't know that much about the games. But based on what I've seen people saying and the small amount of research I've done, I'd say it's looking that way.
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Mustachio » Wed May 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Penguin God wrote:

They keep promising "we won't just do 4-part arcs" because the pacing has a lot of artificial padding and rushing to fit in the format, but then it keeps happening anyway. 4 issue arcs is great for some stories, it may be great for Blackout: but just like the 2 issue format of Iron Dominion, making everything fit the same length no matter what the story is can only lead to quality slippage.
But Ra Moon gets 5 at least, and hopefully that change will actually come through after it. We'll see.

Well technically, they didn't lie. Everything after " Spirtus Ex Machina" was ether a one-shot or the Proto Man two-parter and the crossover is 12 issues (13 if you count FCBD). Saying they wouldn't do 4 issue arcs all the time never meant they would never do them ever again.

See, my view on it is, I never had a problem with 4 issue arcs as long as it's original content that's tailored for a 4-part story. As long as the Archie dudes go into the writing process with a story that fits 4 issues then I find I'm usually okay with it. I never really had a problem with the 4-act structure of Sonic Universe (though I always encouraged the idea of them to try something new because the nature of SU opens the door to many possibilities).

The games don't really work for 4-issues because even thought they have simplistic premises in a comic book they have a lot of ground to cover. You need to have Megaman fight eight Robot Masters and have enough time to introduce those characters and get to know them on top of having Megaman fight Wily and all his defenses at the end of the story. That's a lot of stuff to fit in which is why we get fight scenes that last one or two panels and stuff like that which irks me.
Mustachio
BumbleClan

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Wed May 15, 2013 5:24 pm

I think 5 issues is plenty of room to cover Super Adventure Rockman considering the entire premise has already been set up in "Spiritus Ex Machina". These are the basics of the plot...

Spoiler: show
• Researchers discover the Lanfront Ruins in the Amazon, a mysterious temple covered in an electromagnetic (EM) field which shuts down any machinery that comes into contact with it.
• Dr. Wily travels within the ruins and discovers Ra Moon, a sentient supercomputer responsible for the EM field.
• Dr. Wily uses Ra Moon to rebuild the sixteen Robot Masters from Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3.
• Dr. Wily and Ra Moon spread the EM field across the world, causing machines to basically "black out".
• Roll becomes massively ill as a result and will die if something isn't done.
• Mega Man and Dr. Light's Robot Masters travel to the Lanfront Ruins.
• They go through several battles with Dr. Wily's 16 Robot Masters until they eventually reach Ra Moon, defeat him, and save the day.

Like I said, most of this has already been covered a year ago in "Spiritus Ex Machina." There's not much point going through specific battles with the 16 Robot Masters since we already did with half of them in "The Return of Dr. Wily," and the other half are best reserved for the eventual Mega Man 3 adaptation. So that means we have 5 issues to basically deal with infiltrating the Lanfront Ruins, fighting Ra Moon, and saving the day... plus the extra element of Break Man.

I don't know about you guys, but 5 issues is A LOT of time to do that. Give it a chance, guys. This degree of instant negativity is ridiculous.

(I feel inclined to also remind people that Mega Man Megamix and Gigamix cram several game adaptations into single tankōbons, but no one seems to mind it there...)
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!