What wouldve happened?

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

What wouldve happened?

Postby Striker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:31 pm

What do you think wouldve happened in the Dreamwave comics had they continued?
Striker
BumbleClan

Re: What wouldve happened?

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:48 pm

Classic part? No idea.

X: Trust me, you don't want to know.

Spoiler: show
Well, unless they went with my treatment, anyway.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Striker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:58 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Classic part? No idea.

X: Trust me, you don't want to know.

Spoiler: show
Well, unless they went with my treatment, anyway.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Based on the only novel they put out I think the series couldve been great. Even the X series but Dreamwave had to go under not long after that so nothing else was ever produced. I actually liked the idea of having Rock go to school and such. Makes him seem more human and Light was always about making his bots more human.
Striker
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:31 pm

Hard to say on Classic; I know what I wanted to do with it, but that never came to be.

Ditto X; the treatment I saw before made me cringe, though.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Tcat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:14 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Ditto X; the treatment I saw before made me cringe, though.

At least the art was pretty?

The whole time jumping thing in the MM series never really did anything for me. I'm kind of surprised Capcom let them do what they did without interfering or saying that it was poop. Reminded me alot of the Ruby Sphere's version of the crossover - which I might add is probably my favourite episode of the show. XD

Still, it would have been nice to see it continue if only because of the lore they were starting to build with CLassic and it doesn't look like we'll get an X series Archie comic any time soon :\
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby SurrealBrain » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:21 am

I actually didn't mind this continuity, so for it to end before it could hit its stride is sad. I would like it if Ian was allowed to write a continuation as an elseworlds story some day. However, whether or not he'd want to do that is a different can of worms altogether.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:55 am

Tcat wrote:

Not especially; I think Spaz might have lamented that one at some point, even, as I think it was kind of a rush to get it out. At least, I think he did...

Mind, the rest of the issue was absolutely gorgeous; I even own one of the original pages with Mega Man and Proto Man clashing, I believe. I wanted the first page, since that just screamed "this is what a Mega Man comic should look like" to me at the time, but someone got it first. The wrap-up of the MM story was better than the first three issues combined.

Unless you're speaking of the continuation, which never happened, so there was no art.

The whole time jumping thing in the MM series never really did anything for me. I'm kind of surprised Capcom let them do what they did without interfering or saying that it was poop. Reminded me alot of the Ruby Sphere's version of the crossover - which I might add is probably my favourite episode of the show. XD

Still, it would have been nice to see it continue if only because of the lore they were starting to build with CLassic and it doesn't look like we'll get an X series Archie comic any time soon :\

I'd love to finish that one up. Maybe someday...

Anyway, I wouldn't say what was there was "poop," just very... very much there. Let's just say it made an excellent jumping-off point.

SurrealBrain wrote:I actually didn't mind this continuity, so for it to end before it could hit its stride is sad. I would like it if Ian was allowed to write a continuation as an elseworlds story some day. However, whether or not he'd want to do that is a different can of worms altogether.

Or if he'd be allowed to, since someone else owns the stories, last I checked.

Incidentally, I'm tickled pink that Ian decided to use the city name I came up with for that series.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Tcat » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:32 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:Not especially; I think Spaz might have lamented that one at some point, even, as I think it was kind of a rush to get it out. At least, I think he did...

I actually liked the art and didn't find anything wrong with it, myself. Seeing Zero and Vile in Spaz's style was pretty awesome since I worshiped the ground that man walked on back in the day. (hearty laughter). It's still pretty close to the Capcom model. The only thing I had a problem with was the stiff dialogue, really.
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Even though Dreamwave is a dead company, I assume you're not at liberty to say what you saw of the X script?

And if so, why exactly is that? a contractual thing that prevents you from disclosing anything you saw, even though the company isn't around to do anything about it?

I'm curious how the legalities work, if that's the case.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Striker » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:53 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Tcat wrote:

Not especially; I think Spaz might have lamented that one at some point, even, as I think it was kind of a rush to get it out. At least, I think he did...

Mind, the rest of the issue was absolutely gorgeous; I even own one of the original pages with Mega Man and Proto Man clashing, I believe. I wanted the first page, since that just screamed "this is what a Mega Man comic should look like" to me at the time, but someone got it first. The wrap-up of the MM story was better than the first three issues combined.

Unless you're speaking of the continuation, which never happened, so there was no art.

I'd love to finish that one up. Maybe someday...

Anyway, I wouldn't say what was there was "poop," just very... very much there. Let's just say it made an excellent jumping-off point.

SurrealBrain wrote:I actually didn't mind this continuity, so for it to end before it could hit its stride is sad. I would like it if Ian was allowed to write a continuation as an elseworlds story some day. However, whether or not he'd want to do that is a different can of worms altogether.

Or if he'd be allowed to, since someone else owns the stories, last I checked.

Incidentally, I'm tickled pink that Ian decided to use the city name I came up with for that series.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

You talk as if you worked on this series. Did you?
Striker
BumbleClan

Postby LilacDownDeep » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:42 pm

LBS Nytetrayn is an active head of the TMMN I think. So he's pretty big on the American side of the fandom.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:49 am

Striker wrote:You talk as if you worked on this series. Did you?

Not directly, no (save for that name thing). They got in touch with me after with hopes of restarting it, but the company wasn't long for the world by that point.

Mavrickindigo wrote:Even though Dreamwave is a dead company, I assume you're not at liberty to say what you saw of the X script?

And if so, why exactly is that? a contractual thing that prevents you from disclosing anything you saw, even though the company isn't around to do anything about it?

I'm curious how the legalities work, if that's the case.

I probably could, if I wanted to. As a matter of professional courtesy, I'd rather not go into the details of the other guy's X script. Maybe if I ever bother to reach out to him, I can get some sort of permission. All I'll say is that if you wanted anything like the games, what I saw looks like it would have killed any hopes of that dead right from the outset.

I don't want to speak ill of him, either, as he has probably had a greater mark on the franchise in an official capacity than I ever will, but I will say that what I saw, as a fan, honestly terrified me in a "this could happen" way. I remember immediately coming up with my own counter-proposal, but again, writing was already starting to appear on the wall at that point.

As for my own designs... well, I do know who owns the rights to that material, and all I can really say is that I have expressed interest in doing something with my own work, if they ever decide to dust it off and do something with what they have (and there has been talk, though that's been quite a while).

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mavrickindigo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:57 am

Wait, so there's a possibility for a non-archie Mega Man X book being made?
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Tcat » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Sounds like a super teeny tiny microscopic one, if one at all... at least if I'm reading it right. Archie probably has more pull right now to do one since they're the only active MM comic right now.
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:08 am

I hope I'm not saying too much, but there is one other which could potentially match and possibly even exceed Archie's "pull" in this department.

As far as I'm aware, there are numerous ways and reasons this could happen, though I don't think it would be as a monthly title like Archie's.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Return to For Everlasting Peace!