Mega Man games and comic concept art

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Mega Man games and comic concept art

Postby LilacDownDeep » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:11 pm

ReifuTD wrote:
LilacDownDeep wrote:
Ian Flynn wrote:Dr. LaLinde is Filipino.

Interesting thing I got when PMing Ian about Dr. LaLinde. And even 'lightened up' she still could be considered Filipino. In fact, despite her last name, it could still make sense because I know a few French-Filipinos.

I remember Lee saying that LaLinde isn't an uncomming Spanish name, there are way more Spanish Filipinos. I wonder if she's an immigrant like Cossack of id she was born in the us? Important if you want to now what accent she's speaking.

Actually, Lalinde is Occitan. Which comprises of both France and Spain in the Pyrenees (or Basque, whichever region). I asked my mom about it, so that's why I made that error. But Ian says that if it IS Spanish (her family that is), so she would be Spanish-Filipino. Maybe with French in it because Noele is also a French name. But then again we don't know if she's in the Philippines; her mother or father may have immigrated to the United States and married into another family, considering there's quite a few Filipinos overseas as well on top of that. My best friend being one of them, and she claims she's a huge mutt with every region origin in her. |D

Also, I don't think her accent would be affected too much. One of the main languages in the Philippines is actually English, and many people (from my moves to France and Germany) could speak perfect accented British or US English, depending on who their early years teachers were.

Germany is AWESOME by the way. If there's any place in Europe I would highly reccomend to go, it would be there.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby Kureejii Lea » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:33 pm

Just to clarify a coupla things...

There is a place in France (Occitania) called Lalinde, but as a name, LaLinde (like lah-LIN-deh) is pretty common in places like Spain, Argentina, Columbia and the Philippines.

And yeah, I did originally intend for Dr. LaLinde and Tempo to have somewhat different skintones compared to Light/Rock/Roll/Wily/Cossack/etc.. Might've just been overlooked, or maybe it was thought that Dr. LaLinde might come off as too reminiscent of that Dr. Rao from Marvel....? I don't know.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby LilacDownDeep » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:11 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:Just to clarify a coupla things...

There is a place in France (Occitania) called Lalinde, but as a name, LaLinde (like lah-LIN-deh) is pretty common in places like Spain, Argentina, Columbia and the Philippines.

And yeah, I did originally intend for Dr. LaLinde and Tempo to have somewhat different skintones compared to Light/Rock/Roll/Wily/Cossack/etc.. Might've just been overlooked, or maybe it was thought that Dr. LaLinde might come off as too reminiscent of that Dr. Rao from Marvel....? I don't know.

Makes sense though, for her to be stationed in the Philippines or Chile. That's where the Pacific ring of fire crosses and the best place for the Geological Institute could be (Philippines seems more likely, as it's faster and cheaper transport). If not, she could live in Hawaii like what my sister did if she's a US Citizen. |D

Also, I noticed that Dr. LaLinde's first name is spelled both as Noelle and Noele. They're both name variants, female, and are used, but which one is the one you and Ian use?
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby Dejimon11 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:14 pm

how is her first name pronounced
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby ReifuTD » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:02 am

Kureejii Lea wrote:And yeah, I did originally intend for Dr. LaLinde and Tempo to have somewhat different skintones compared to Light/Rock/Roll/Wily/Cossack/etc.. Might've just been overlooked, or maybe it was thought that Dr. LaLinde might come off as too reminiscent of that Dr. Rao from Marvel....? I don't know.

Well with the large bangs, purple hair, gray streek and lack of dot on the for head I wouldn't have made the connection with Dr. Rao. Honestly if people are confusing something with Filipino skin tone with someone from India. Dr. LaLinde may have looked to much like Roslyn Krantz. I mean I think Krantz looks black or Indian but I believe she suppose to be moldeled after this woman. Her skin tone don't seem are darker then Dr. LaLinde's would have been. Witch kind of leades me to wonder why Krantz is so dark. Maybe it's a color constancy it's not like I've seen the same range or quantity as something made by other comic companys.

I also wonder if it too late to make adjustments Dr. LaLinde skin tone later on? After all Roll bangs drastically change size andf shape from issue to issue and people seem to be okay with that. Besides character get changed and adjusted all the time.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby Kureejii Lea » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:30 am

ReifuTD wrote:Well with the large bangs, purple hair, gray streek and lack of dot on the for head I wouldn't have made the connection with Dr. Rao.

Well, at that point her hair wouldn't have been purple or had the grey streak. It was just some speculation, I have no idea why that mention was there.

Dr. LaLinde may have looked to much like Roslyn Krantz. I mean I think Krantz looks black or Indian but I believe she suppose to be moldeled after this woman. Her skin tone don't seem are darker then Dr. LaLinde's would have been. Witch kind of leades me to wonder why Krantz is so dark. Maybe it's a color constancy it's not like I've seen the same range or quantity as something made by other comic companys.

I think Krantz would have still been darker/more brown in comparison (not to mention different hair and eye colours), though I don't think she was really modeled after anyone in particular. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the last part there.

Dejimon11 wrote:how is her first name pronounced

no-EL.

LilacDownDeep wrote:Also, I noticed that Dr. LaLinde's first name is spelled both as Noelle and Noele. They're both name variants, female, and are used, but which one is the one you and Ian use?

Noelle is the more common spelling, but in this case it is supposed to be with one L.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Mega Man Monthly » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:56 pm

I always assumed Roslyn was modeled after Sheva Alomar from Resident Evil 5 because of the similar appearance, as well as the fact she's referred to as "Jill Alomar" in the product description for issue 8 on the digital store. (Jill Valentine being the other female lead in RE5.)

I also assumed Roslyn was Hispanic due to her name and skin tone.
Mega Man Monthly
BumbleCitizen

Postby Kureejii Lea » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:19 pm

Ahh. Nah, Roslyn wasn't based on Sheva. There were some early notes about the direction of her design, her skin tone being among them, and then Ben Bates went from there. The "Jill Alomar" thing was basically a placeholder that I guess was plugged in there early and went unchanged. Her name isn't supposed to be any particular indication of ethnicity, it was just to fit the sounds to make the little joke with the agents' names (Roslyn Krantz = Rosencrantz).
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby LilacDownDeep » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:24 pm

Hey, it makes sense either way, even Gil fits his namesake too.

I believe there's some old concept works in the Mega Man Complete Works page too that are interesting. But I dunno how much effort it'll take to scan some in and show them.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby ReifuTD » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:47 am

Some concept art for MM10 Robot Masters

I don't know why they didn't go with the Pump Man with the tanks. I do like the Chill Man with the silly hair cut, he looks awesome!
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby LilacDownDeep » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:00 pm

I like Chill Man's more 'Russian' designs. It really gives a hint that he might've been a Cossack Bot.

Strike Man's older designs? I prefer those way more than the new ones. It gives him a more Football feel.
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby Dejimon11 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Are Archie allowed to used the unused Robot Master designs?
Dejimon11
BumbleNoble

Postby LilacDownDeep » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Dejimon11 wrote:Are Archie allowed to used the unused Robot Master designs?

Beats me, but they are Capcom and Mega Man so I presume they can?
LilacDownDeep
BumbleNoble

Postby ReifuTD » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:55 pm

LilacDownDeep wrote:
Dejimon11 wrote:Are Archie allowed to used the unused Robot Master designs?

Beats me, but they are Capcom and Mega Man so I presume they can?

I do know that Archie got in trouble from Sega for putting some Sonic the Comic characters in the background. Sonic the Comic is a UK Sonic Comic series. They also got in trouble for adapting that sonic OVA Movie thing. Archie maybe a little skitish beinging in other characters from other media thats not video game. Not saying Capcom is the same Sega. But untle a character like Waltz shows up in the Archie comic we wouldn't know for sure.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby ReifuTD » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Mega Man 28 cover's pencil art by Ryan Jampole

It been a while since I updated this topic. I was hoping other people would start bring up art they found or did in case of arts that worked on the comic. I'm going to have to up date and reagrange the opening post later. I allway insted to add pencil art to this topic be really bad at activly searching for this stuff. I do know have more Jampole has more of this stuff on his deviantart page.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!