Dreamwave's Megaman

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Dreamwave's Megaman

Postby theJcfreak » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:43 am

Tcat wrote:They weren't BAD, just... not all that GOOD either. Strangely enough I didn't have all that much of a problem with him being called "Rocky" either. Alot of fans got downright MEAN. I think my only big complaint was the previous 3 issues were too anime-ish. Or at least tried to be. It was kind of that middle ground east meets west and I don't think it worked out too well in the end. That and... junior high? For a robot? Seriously?

I don't mind the Rocky name either, though I suppose I'm no diehard fan. :P

Also, I get what you're saying about the anime influences, half the time I felt like I was reading Astro Boy.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Tcat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:50 am

Mavrickindigo wrote:Ah the ever classic sense of urgency when time travel is involved. I was always curious why X needed Mega Man and why the MMX7 Mavericks were working with Vile. None of them were joining an uprising, they were either Maverick Hunting without permission or infected by the virus.

Or someone failed to do their research... or Spaz was handed notes with "X and Zero are fighting Mavericks" and he interpreted it for the fans. I never read it as they were working with Vile, rather than Vile was just in the way.
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Spaz's art in Dreamwave and Archie Mega Man look exactly the same to me, but what do I know.

All I know about Dreamwave is they closed because Pat Lee didn't pay anyone I never read any of they're books but I'm morbidly interested in they're Transformers comics.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Mavrickindigo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:18 pm

Tcat wrote:
Mavrickindigo wrote:Ah the ever classic sense of urgency when time travel is involved. I was always curious why X needed Mega Man and why the MMX7 Mavericks were working with Vile. None of them were joining an uprising, they were either Maverick Hunting without permission or infected by the virus.

Or someone failed to do their research... or Spaz was handed notes with "X and Zero are fighting Mavericks" and he interpreted it for the fans. I never read it as they were working with Vile, rather than Vile was just in the way.

Vile had speaking lines in that, I believe
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Tcat » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:54 pm

*skims* Huh, so he did.. ordering them to get X. It's actually been a LONG while since I read these.

Well, at least we know how the ending turned out for issue #5:

(lulz) .. X's gotta be, what? Eight feet tall? XD;
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby KyleJCrb » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:35 am

Oh Ruby-Spears. Is there anything you got right about that cartoon?
KyleJCrb
BumbleCitizen

Postby lalalei2001 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:16 am

^ Plenty of things, actually. While the show isn't accurate by today's standards, Ruby Spears included several Robot Masters from the games with designs mostly unscathed. They included the Battontons, a Metool, and a Pipi, knew that before he became Megaman, his name was Rock, did the Megaman hand thing at least once, and Megaman uses a holographic projector in "The Day the Moon Fell" that looks similar to the Wily alien holographic projector in Mega Man 2.

As for Protoman, given that Dark Man, Proto's impersonator from the fifth game, shows up in the series, it's more likely this was a conscious decision in order to give Mega Man an appropriate rival (Bass from the seventh game didn't exist yet). Can't see any of the Robot Masters fitting the position.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Mavrickindigo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:31 pm

Inafune once said he developed Quick Man as a rival. That's why his image goes over the boundaries of the Character select box and why he gets a cool "shine" effect on his boomerang in his intro
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:35 am

He really didn't make it much obvious though- Hiroshi Ariga was the only one to notice it and include it in Rockman Megamix, and even that was tentative- only when interviewing Inafune did he confirm his suspicions.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:08 am

I'm slightly amused that no one has noticed whose Photobucket that is...

Anyway, Dreamwave... not my favorite part of the franchise, but I think the fourth issue is a must, and 3 is alright, too. And since you've already got the first... may as well just get the whole set. Whether you want to get the trade and all the variants of #1, on the other hand...

As for Spaz's art, that was under Dreamwave, of course, who had a bit of a "house style," as I understand it. So his work probably had to conform to their standards somewhat, to say nothing of their uses of inks and colors...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:40 am

You know I was just thinking IDW can reprint the DreamWave Transformers comic's could Archie do the same with Mega Man or is there stuff not fit for children in them?
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Lewanut » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:51 am

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I'm slightly amused that no one has noticed whose Photobucket that is...

Anyway, Dreamwave... not my favorite part of the franchise, but I think the fourth issue is a must, and 3 is alright, too. And since you've already got the first... may as well just get the whole set. Whether you want to get the trade and all the variants of #1, on the other hand...

As for Spaz's art, that was under Dreamwave, of course, who had a bit of a "house style," as I understand it. So his work probably had to conform to their standards somewhat, to say nothing of their uses of inks and colors...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

I thought that Spaz's pencils were dark enough that they didn't use inks on them.

Veggie Burgers,
Lewanut
Lewanut
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:45 pm

I feel giving Mega Man a human love interest really goes beyond the parameters of the character. Mega Man shouldn't be too 3 dimensional of a character. What Ian is doing is right. His whole life should revolve around his pursuit of justice and his devotion to his duty and all that. To say that Mega Man has the capacity to have crushes on human girls implys that Dr. Light programmed that directly into him or that it was a side-effect of some other programming that was put into Mega Man.

And that would be weird
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:15 pm

In fairness, part of the premise of the DW comic was that Light did give Rock(y) the "independent determination" chip, which seemed to basically give him free will, etc. (and making X practically moot in the process) So, yeah... in a way, Light did do exactly that.

And it was weird.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Penguin God » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:09 pm

And yet the female character was deemed "too independent" without even giving her free will.

Theeeey did not think this through at all.
Penguin God
BumbleCult

PreviousNext

Return to For Everlasting Peace!