Dreamwave's Megaman

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Dreamwave's Megaman

Postby theJcfreak » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:20 am

Okay, so I really only lurk on this section of the board but I saw there wasn't any topic on Dreamwave's Megaman run. I happened to find a copy of the first issue in a cheap bundle of random comics from a local store (where I also acquired some She-Hulk and Donald Duck). I've read it a couple times and it seems to be pretty good. I really like the art style, though the characters seem to be different from than what I've heard of them and I don't recognize the robot masters (Barrageman and Expressman? Are they even from any games?) and the issue ends on a bit of a cliffhanger.

But I'm wondering if the rest of the series is worth picking up? I'm not even sure how many issues there were. Also, how does it compare to the Archie run we've had so far? Any intelligent thoughts are appreciated.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Re: Dreamwave's Megaman

Postby Penguin God » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:28 am

It's not very good. I'd venture it's outright bad, really. The characters are kind of annoying, the dialog and storylines were both confusing and going nowhere, and worst of all the art was sort of a mess. Outside of Spaz's issue, everything looked sloppy and way too heavily inked. The only vaguely interesting bit was the last issue, where X went back in time so Dr. Light could save the future. Also, they didn't use practically any real Robot Masters, while their own creations were sort of garbage.

Really, Mega Man in seventh grade? Who would think that's what the franchise should be about?
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby Astrobot7000 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:37 am

The Dreamwave series was not very good, in my opinion. It focused mostly on Megaman attending public school and his crush on a human. Odd to say the least. Although I did like the design of Barrage Man.

Here's something though, the issue in which Spaz did the artwork seems to be penciled far better than his work in the Archie series. Not to say that his work in the Archie Megaman series looks bad, but it doesn't seem to be quite as awesome as his Dreamwave work. I wonder if it has to do with Spaz only drawing one issue in the Dreamwave series instead of four.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby theJcfreak » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:46 am

Spaz did an issue? Really? Well that's cool. The issue I have is drawn by... Mic Fong. Hmm. Really I don't mind the heavy inking though, the styles remind me of a more manga-like Scott Pilgrim. If I have any gripe with the art here it's the coloring, which can be jarring at times.
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Astrobot7000 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:37 pm

Spaz did the final issue of the series. I would provide scans, however I have the pcoket-sized trade paperback version, so it wouldn't scan well with the binding. I have the original issues as well, but they are at my Dad's house (over 1000 miles away). When next I visit him, I will grab the issues if we are still discussing this.
Astrobot7000
BumbleNoble

Postby Ultimate » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:37 pm

Here's a image I could find of Spaz's issue:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/L ... MM4pg1.jpg

Look's nice to me, although the colouring does indeed look a bit jarring, considering the very detailed background and the more simplistic colouring on Mega Man.
Ultimate
BumbleClan

Postby Sockie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 pm

I find Spaz's current Mega Man art to be far superior to his Dreamwave stuff. But to each their own...
Sockie
BumbleNoble

Postby theJcfreak » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:40 pm

UltimateLifeform wrote:Here's a image I could find of Spaz's issue:

Look's nice to me, although the colouring does indeed look a bit jarring, considering the very detailed background and the more simplistic colouring on Mega Man.

You sure that's Spaz? With all that cracked glass I'm thinking of someone else... did Spaz have any help with this issue?
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Ultimate » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:28 pm

thejcfreak wrote:
UltimateLifeform wrote:Here's a image I could find of Spaz's issue:

You sure that's Spaz? With all that cracked glass I'm thinking of someone else... did Spaz have any help with this issue?

Dunno. I'm sure it's him though.
Ultimate
BumbleClan

Postby megabeatman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:38 pm

Doing a side-by-side comparison here (used spoiler tags for space purposes)

Spoiler: show
Spaz's Dreamwave issue

A page from issue 2

I definitely see similarities between the two drawings. Obviously with time, the styles change slightly. Mega Man in the Archie issue is smaller than the Dreamwave.
megabeatman
BumbleKnight

Postby Illustrious Q » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:43 pm

Positive it's Spaz. I have every issue in the series, as well as all the variants to issue 1 and the trade paperback (yes I am a collector and I have a bad habit of trying to collect everything of what I'm collecting. *looks at growing pony collection* I'm working on it.)

The Dreamwave series isn't awful, the series is charming at times, but it is about as far away from the games it's based on as the Blue Blur's own comic series. It is also a bit jarring at a couple of points where the differences are really pronounced, example: Jack instead of Protoman or Blues. The main part of the series that I remember is that even though the differences were large, the series was fun.

And now I shall drink a goblet of Klingon Bloodwine as a toast to Archie Mega Man's long life!
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Mavrickindigo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:26 pm

I too can verify it's spaz. When I first found the collection of all four issues, it mentioned "art by Patrick Spaziante, Famous for 'Sonic the Hedgehog" or something to that effect
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Postby Tcat » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Yeah, that pic is from page #1 of issue #4.

Here's another scan or three of Spaz's work. I can provide more if need be. I scanned mine so I could have them as quick reference when needs like this arise! ^_^;;; Not to mention I seem to be one of the few people who actually got it. At all. It's one of those things you just can't explain without visual aid.

http://snorkeldragon.com/dump/08.jpg (kind of nice that they have "Rock" and "Blues" names behind them in Japanese)
http://snorkeldragon.com/dump/24.jpg (the girl and guy are named Chelsea and Alan. Mostly they just fit the stereotypical "tough girl love interest" and "Nerdy best friend")
http://snorkeldragon.com/dump/28.jpg (I seriously want this page as a giant poster. I LOVE how spot on characters are @_@)

They weren't BAD, just... not all that GOOD either. Strangely enough I didn't have all that much of a problem with him being called "Rocky" either. Alot of fans got downright MEAN. I think my only big complaint was the previous 3 issues were too anime-ish. Or at least tried to be. It was kind of that middle ground east meets west and I don't think it worked out too well in the end. That and... junior high? For a robot? Seriously?
The series didn't do very well on sales, either so they were going to try to push an X comic.. this was right after X7 had come out, hence Stone Kong and the other Mavericks making an appearance from the game. Unfortunately the company went belly up soon after. I have my fingers crossed for Archie-MM to sell well so I can get my X and Zero fix and shoot it into my VEINS again. @_@
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby Ultimate » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:41 am

Ultimate
BumbleClan

Postby Mavrickindigo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:32 am

Ah the ever classic sense of urgency when time travel is involved. I was always curious why X needed Mega Man and why the MMX7 Mavericks were working with Vile. None of them were joining an uprising, they were either Maverick Hunting without permission or infected by the virus.
Mavrickindigo
BumbleCult

Next

Return to For Everlasting Peace!