Dreamwave's Megaman

Forum devoted to Mega Man by Archie Comics.

Re: Dreamwave's Megaman

Postby skrcha » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:24 pm

The worst thing about the Dreamwave comic was how good it could have been.

I love stories testing the boundaries of just how human a robot can be, and place him/her in a human situation to see how s/he fares. The initial setup/background of the comic was pretty awesome, how Mega Man was designed to be immersed in human society and his AI would slowly become more human-like as he observed the other humans' behavior and worked what he saw into his own personality.

That said... the execution was absolutely atrocious :| The pacing was terrible, and while I didn't mind the school subplot itself, it took away from the scenes of Mega Man... you know, being Mega Man. I would have liked a few issues of Mega Man kickin' butt and taking names powers to establish the setting before Dreamwave expanded the universe to include a "human" secret identity.

And within the school subplot, the writers relied way too much on middle/high school character archetypes instead of actually developing their characters. Chelsea, Alan and the Boltz Bros had no personality beyond "Cute, friendly love interest / nerdy best friend / dumb school bullies" and didn't develop at all despite how much time was spent with them, time that would have been better spent fighting robot masters.

As for Chelsea in particular... I don't mind the idea of Mega Man having a potential love interest, I really don't, but not when it's written so... predictably. Boy meets girl, boy likes girl, girl likes boy, they have UST for the rest of the series.

If Rocky's still only "learning" to be human, why did he crush on her so quickly, before he even had time to observe the behavior of his classmates? With the setup that was given, I could understand him eventually seeking companionship/romance to imitate what all the other boys were doing - and once his AI developed enough, actually developing real feelings for a girl. But he's not human, and he shouldn't naturally have the drive to get a girlfriend. I wish the writers had kept in mind that Mega Man is a robot when writing the series :[

This is getting long and there's a lot more I could say, but I'll just end it with this: If Dr. Light wanted Mega Man to learn to behave like humans through immersion, why the heck did he put Rocky in middle school? Teens that age have got to be, like, the absolute worst example you can set.
skrcha
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:35 pm

skrcha wrote:The worst thing about the Dreamwave comic was how good it could have been.

Indeed, I had a whole treatment which would have fixed things up considerably.

That said... the execution was absolutely atrocious :| The pacing was terrible, and while I didn't mind the school subplot itself, it took away from the scenes of Mega Man... you know, being Mega Man. I would have liked a few issues of Mega Man kickin' butt and taking names powers to establish the setting before Dreamwave expanded the universe to include a "human" secret identity.

Its biggest problem was that it was a book written for children, published by a company with absolutely no means of reaching said children.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby PyroDaFox » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:11 am

I know it's been about four months since anyone has posted on this topic but since the rules put six as the cutoff date-- I reread my Dreamwave issues for a review on my blog and noticed something.

Me, in the Realm of the Magical Platypus wrote:When it comes to how the games fit into the Dreamwave canon, I don’t believe they do at all. For one, Megaman (as Rocky) seemed to have no idea who Dr. Wily was when they met in the second issue. This is particularly puzzling because part of the reason why Rock allowed Dr. Light to upgrade him to Megaman was that Wily stole the six (or eight, if you count Powered Up) robot masters and reprogrammed them to do his bidding. So if the events of the first game didn’t happen, then why did Dr. Light need to create a robot with a “(expletive) gun for a hand?” (To quote Brentalfloss.) Dreamwave Megaman works better if you ignore this discrepancy but if you’re a longtime fan of the series, it’s simply too hard to overlook.

That actually made me wonder why there was even a "Megaman" in the series when Mega City was already a blissful utopia.
PyroDaFox
BumbleFan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:30 am

It could work; in fact, when I was getting involved in the thing (right as the doors were gradually closing, as it turns out), I did come up with a story which explained it. It managed to keep true to the games, but throw in some twists as well.

Don't know if that will ever see the light of day, though... but with Archie's Mega Man, probably not.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:33 pm

So me and my Brother have been talking and we both wonder if it's possible for Archie to reprint the Four issues of Dreamwaves Mega Man comic's since they have the License and all?
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Tcat » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:23 am

Why would they want to? Especially since the TPB of all four issues is readily available still on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Mega-Man-1-Pocket ... 280&sr=8-8
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:46 am

They have the license, but-- if I'm not mistaken-- someone else owns the rights to that particular story.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby PyroDaFox » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:31 pm

Not entirely sure if it's appropriate, but I finished the second part of my Dreamwave/Archie comparison. (Though I understand completely i this post suddenly vanishes.) Hope I was gentle enough... and I do think both series could have used more of Gutsman's shiny metal posterior.
PyroDaFox
BumbleFan

Postby Kureejii Lea » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:25 am

PyroDaFox wrote:(Though I understand completely i this post suddenly vanishes.)

Erm... Why would it?
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby PyroDaFox » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:50 pm

Kureejii Lea wrote:
PyroDaFox wrote:(Though I understand completely i this post suddenly vanishes.)

Erm... Why would it?

Was just recalling a experience on another forum. I re-read the rules here but didn't edit my post.
PyroDaFox
BumbleFan

Postby diamonddeath » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Spaz also snuck in Waltz in one of the backgrounds! :D This makes me think that it would be okay to have Waltz in Archie's Mega Man comic, unless it was only okay because she had no role in the story and was purely a cameo. I sure hope she can be used in the comic, though! I want to see her interactions with Bass, Treble, Reggae, Dr. Wily, and even Roll!

(The uploaded image is cropped from the original, which can be viewed at http://kobun20.interordi.com/2011/05/02/hideki-ishikawas-mega-man-universe/)

EDIT: I could be wrong, but Waltz does look slightly different in this image by Spaz. I believe that the original also has a tail and some slight differences here and there. It looks like Spaz mistook her robotic joints for armor (unless that's how Roll's joints look, too).
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby Max1996 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Call me whatever you want for making a new post in this particular topic, but does anyone know where I can read the full issues?
Max1996
BumbleFan

Postby SurrealBrain » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:09 pm

Max1996 wrote:Call me whatever you want for making a new post in this particular topic, but does anyone know where I can read the full issues?

Somebody please lock this thread, but here's where you can order the paperback of the whole series.

EDIT: And before you ask, Dreamwave went under before they could even make and/or publish material for a Vol. 2.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Previous

Return to For Everlasting Peace!